Dambusters 75th Anniversary

stevewool
Posted
Posted (edited)

Today was going to be the flypast 75th anniversary of the dambusters operation, formally named Operation chastise during the 2nd world war.

A Lancaster bomber was to fly over the Derwent dam in Derbyshire then onwards to fly over the factories of Rolls Royce in Derby then to Leicestershire, the flight was to be 12 noon and flying twice over the dam, but due to the weather being not very good for this to take place it was cancelled, a typhoon aircraft was to take its place but this only managed to fly over the dam and then because of the weather this too failed to fly over Derby.

I was so disappointed having waited for over 1 hour waiting for the planes to come over where i live and to try to get a few pictures, but last week we did see a trial run of the flight path from the Derwent dam through the valley by a Hercules plane.

dambusters-derwent.jpgLancaster+Bombers+Lead+Fly+Past+Dambuster+f7Ii_lI02V6x.jpg

Here are a couple of pictures of what it should have looked like .added pictures

Edited by stevewool
added more
  • Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, stevewool said:

A Lancaster bomber was to fly over the Derwent dam in Derbyshire then onwards to fly over the factories of Rolls Royce in Derby

Steve did you realise that they Practised for the raid using the dam as a make believe target and used Rubber bombs (Equal to the real thing) to emulate the Strike. BTW my father was in that squadron and had plenty to tell but only when an argument started about it other wise he said little about much of the War.

It was fitting they should Remember that Anniversary where the Training was done and Fitting that they should overfly The RR Factory for the Engineering Of those Wonderful Aircraft. A great Pity it did not go through But We should give thanks to those Lads. :smile:

• Like 2

bastonjock
Posted
Posted

I had the joy of living in the flight path that the Lancaster takes on its way back to Lincolnshire , I watched the royal wedding on TV and waited 30mins and walked out into my large paddock ,the Lancaster came over my house , the plane flew past me and turned around came back and wiggled its wings with the guys waving at me , I was alone in the field with my camera and long lenze snapping away , it was a moment never to forget

Apparently the Lancaster at an air museum in Lincolnshire has now been awarded and sir safety ticket do now there are two that can be flown ,

• Like 2

stevewool
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, bastonjock said:

I had the joy of living in the flight path that the Lancaster takes on its way back to Lincolnshire , I watched the royal wedding on TV and waited 30mins and walked out into my large paddock ,the Lancaster came over my house , the plane flew past me and turned around came back and wiggled its wings with the guys waving at me , I was alone in the field with my camera and long lenze snapping away , it was a moment never to forget

Apparently the Lancaster at an air museum in Lincolnshire has now been awarded and sir safety ticket do now there are two that can be flown ,

A day trip in the making to see this aircraft i am thinking.

• Like 2

Gary D
Posted
Posted

I few years back we visited the dam and they were holding an open day, no not opening the dam, there was an exibition of Dambusters bits and peices with a guided tour into the tunnels that crossed beneath the dam.

• Like 2

bastonjock
Posted
Posted

I'm standing here right now at the Peterborough MCN motorcycle event , formerly known as the BMF

It's a beautiful afternoon time is 18.20 and 5 mins ago we were treated to the fantastic sight of the City of Lincolnshire Lancaster flying over ,the guys and girls from the bike club cheered and waved 

We were rewarded with a dip of the wings , absolutely fantastic

• Like 1