American shot and killed for refusing to buy locals beer.

ElevenSeries
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, Rooster said:

I've gone to many non Expat bars over the years. Except for ladies drinks, it's rare a local asks me to buy them a beer, but my plan ahead of time is that if I am asked i'll buy them a beer. Perhaps 1 beer will gain me a friend for life or they will reciprocate in another way. 

I wear no jewelry, watches, etc.  I never carry a wallet, only some money in my pocket. I know some guys who carry an old in case i get robbed wallet with a few hundred pesos. If they get robbed, they gladly give it away. I have a nice smart phone but rarely use it, if i go to the bars or out at night i take no phone or carry an old 900 pesos Nokia phone. My wife does the same. If thieves want it i'll gladly give it to them.

Sounds like a good plan I'll be mimicking when I head out there as I'll be alone....Buy the beer, Save my own life, get the Hell outta there  ASAP.  The "Throw Away" wallet and cheap phone are also good ideas.

• Like 4

RBM
Posted
Posted
15 hours ago, Rooster said:

I've gone to many non Expat bars over the years. Except for ladies drinks, it's rare a local asks me to buy them a beer, but my plan ahead of time is that if I am asked i'll buy them a beer. Perhaps 1 beer will gain me a friend for life or they will reciprocate in another way. 

Or they will ask for another and............

• 2 months later...
Jim1
Posted
Posted

I'm trying to decide if I want to become an expat to the fils. Reading this thread makes living there sound awful. It's inevitable that you're going to get hassled, rolled, pick-pocketed, etc. just for being out and about, and then you have to fortify your home to hopefully keep from being robbed. Is this really normal life for an American expat there? 

• Like 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
20 minutes ago, Jim1 said:

Is this really normal life for an American expat there? 

NO

I don't know what part of Arizona your from Jim, but I am sure that there are certain areas of your home town that you will not frequent for safety reasons. The same rules that apply in your life in the states apply here. Don't go to shady places, don't mix with shady people and keep your nose clean and the majority of us have no problems. 

23 minutes ago, Jim1 said:

hassled,

Do they still have pan handlers outside of almost every 7-11? Beggars on most freeway onramps? Folks pushing shopping karts talking to themselves in the states?

24 minutes ago, Jim1 said:

fortify your home

Do you or your neighbors have a home alarm and a deadbolt on your door with 911 on your speed dial?

I have lived here for almost 6 years, I do not live in a gated community, I live in the Metro Manila area and the worst thing that has happened is that some kids tagged my front gate, one time. My fence in San Diego was tagged on a monthly basis lololol :hystery:.

I doubt we will ever find out what happened to the guy in the story, follow up stories are not the medias strong suit here, but my money is on that the guy who got shot handled the situation badly, that can happen in almost every bar anywhere in the world.

• Like 4

Jim1
Posted
Posted

Scott, thanks for the insight. I guess ElevenSeries's comments about never wearing a watch or jewelry or carrying a wallet when he's out, or having an "in case I get robbed" wallet and cheap nokia phone, as though one should expect to be targeted every time they go out for a walk around the neighborhood. I don't want to live like that, and I doubt too many people do. I'm as cautious as the next guy, but even in places in my city where I have to be a little more careful, I don't go out there with the expectation that something will happen, but rather that it could happen. I guess I'm just a little paranoid. It's been a while since I've spent time in Asia, and even longer since I've been in PI specifically. I'm just brain-storming about my retirement years. I'm just looking for a lower cost, warm climate, generally nice people kind of place to live, and I heard that PI fits that bill. But I don't want to have to feel like I'm on edge both in my home and on the street all day every day. 

• Like 2
  • Hmm thinking 1

roddavis
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Jim1 said:

Scott, thanks for the insight. I guess ElevenSeries's comments about never wearing a watch or jewelry or carrying a wallet when he's out, or having an "in case I get robbed" wallet and cheap nokia phone, as though one should expect to be targeted every time they go out for a walk around the neighborhood. I don't want to live like that, and I doubt too many people do. I'm as cautious as the next guy, but even in places in my city where I have to be a little more careful, I don't go out there with the expectation that something will happen, but rather that it could happen. I guess I'm just a little paranoid. It's been a while since I've spent time in Asia, and even longer since I've been in PI specifically. I'm just brain-storming about my retirement years. I'm just looking for a lower cost, warm climate, generally nice people kind of place to live, and I heard that PI fits that bill. But I don't want to have to feel like I'm on edge both in my home and on the street all day every day. 

And that is what you will find here if you look in the right places! I have lived here in Cebu for the last five years and have never been bothered by anyone or anything> Just the errant drivers that never look your way then pull out in front of you, is about the worst I have seen here. But all else is no different than the States!

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Jim1 said:

I'm just looking for a lower cost, warm climate, generally nice people kind of place to live, and I heard that PI fits that bill.

I have lived here for five years and in my opinion it does "fit that bill". :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Clermont
Posted
Posted
45 minutes ago, Mike J said:

I have lived here for five years and in my opinion it does "fit that bill". :thumbsup:

I agree Mike, too many doom and gloom responses to posts, just be aware of your surroundings as you are back home. :thumbsup:

• Like 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted

I agree it's not as bad as some of the media or seasoned ex-pats who love to tell 'war stories' make it sound BUT we are different, we don't necessarily understand the cultural nuances and are not always in an environment where we know the places to avoid so it's not just like back home. We should add an extra layer of caution here. That said, I don't feel danger here.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

For me, I have always  worked on not to be in the wrong Place, saying the wrong thing to the wrong person, at the wrong time :wink:

• Like 2