Health insurance, FEHB Gov employees?

Balisidar
Posted
Posted

Hi all,

This may be almost worthy of another post so feel free to move it if you want.

So, I wonder how many ex US government employees are here and kept their FEHB insurance such as blue cross/blue shield in the Philippines.  I almost want to drop it when I move there but if I do and later we decide to get health care in the US or our situation changes then we won't have any coverage at all.  Any advice on this.  Blue cross/blue shield looks to have agreements with a lot of hospitals all over the Philippines.

Thanks☺

• Like 1

Foreigner
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Balisidar said:

So, I wonder how many ex US government employees are here and kept their FEHB insurance such as blue cross/blue shield in the Philippines. 

Not with Blue Cross/Shield but I kept mine.  No agreements with local hospitals but I can get reimbursed for emergency care over here.  So far, I've been lucky and I haven't had to use a local hospital.  For small problems, I see local doctors and the biggest fee was 600 p ($12 US).

• Like 1

earthdome
Posted
Posted

I kept mine when I retired (Different insurer than yours). Got the catastrophic type policy with much higher deductibles at a much lower cost but it includes an HSA. So on all routine costs I get reimbursed with tax free money for anything the insurance doesn't reimburse me for plus dental and vision. For any major expense I will have to pay up front to the Philippine health care provider then request reimbursement from my insurer.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Balisidar
Posted
Posted

I did some more research on what blue cross/blue shield would provide and according to the rep, in the Philippines it's 100% no deductible, no copay,  which makes it fairly attractive.  St.  Luke's seems to be one of their preferred providers but there are many more hospitals and clinics over there in many locations that are also providers.  So, as many people have said..boots on the ground.  Next time I visit there before I retire, I'll make a doctor's appointment and experience it for myself.

The monthly price tag is fairly hefty ($372 a month) but at least we'll be covered in case we need to go back to the USA for any reason.

Does anyone know what other FEHB plans cover is while living overseas?

Thanks. 😁

• Like 1

• 4 years later...
Bobm
Posted
Posted

Hope you can update your experience there Balisidar 

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
44 minutes ago, Bobm said:

Hope you can update your experience there Balisidar 

BlueCross is not called that here any more. This topic is from 2018

Bobm
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

BlueCross is not called that here any more. This topic is from 2018

I am referring to BCBS from the states for FEHB Gov employees. I apologize if the topic is from 2018 but this is an important issue which in my case needs researching.  

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
32 minutes ago, Bobm said:

I am referring to BCBS from the states for FEHB Gov employees. I apologize if the topic is from 2018 but this is an important issue which in my case needs researching.  

Well I dont know if its any help but my partner is at work up the road which is a call center for BlueShield. She is team manger these days and the account deals with the state of Michigan so l dont know if there is anything she can help you with or not but when she gets home for lunch at around 1.30 am I can ask.

baronapart
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Bobm said:

https://www.fepblue.org/overseas-coverage

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Bobm said:

I've had Blue Cross for nearly 40 years. Today my wife and two sons still have Blue Cross from my employer. We were all covered while visiting Philippines although within their specific provisions. 

What I suggest you do is call the Blue Cross information line or better yet speak directly with your organizations Blue Cross representative.

The forum is a great place for information but your specific needs and insurance should be best known from the provider.

• Like 3