New Tyres

Onemore52
Posted
Posted

Yesterday I went shopping for some new tyres for the Nissan Navara, the first quote came in at 17,100 php, are tyres that expensive in the Philippines or should I just get my GF to ask the dealers while I stay at home.

Rooster
Posted
Posted

I recently started looking for 215/70 R16 Goodyear Tires for my SUV.

S&R, who I assumed would be the least expensive quoted 34K P for 4 Goodyear tires made in Thailand. They  promote using Nitrogen, free balance, installation. Other brands were available but I prefer GoodYear.

GoodYear, who I bought from in the past has the exact same 4 Tires made in Thailand quoted buy 3 get 1 free, 23K P for 4 tires. Includes free balance & installation, no nitrogen.

Lazada has tires you can price or google car tires Philippines

https://www.lazada.com.ph/catalog/?q=car+tires&_keyori=ss&from=input&spm=a2o4l.searchlist.search.go.98e07f1fk3JR9I 

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Onemore52 said:

Yesterday I went shopping for some new tyres for the Nissan Navara, the first quote came in at 17,100 php, are tyres that expensive in the Philippines or should I just get my GF to ask the dealers while I stay at home.

I think, in general, tires are slightly more expensive here.  What I did was compare to pricing on Tire Rack . com in the U.S. and that would give an indication of if the price was fair.

Size is big factor in the price.  Larger SUV tires are going to cost more.  I shopped around a lot for 265/60 R18 for my Trailblazer, and Goodyears were very expensive everywhere, around 12,000 each.  BF Goodrich, the OEM tire, was also expensive and I don't thing they are that good.  Michelin is only available in Manila.

I'm sure my dealer never rotated my tires and that contributed to early retirement of two tires.  The other two have 56,000 on them and I need to replace them before the heavy rains start.

The two tires I bought are the Yokohama Geolander G056, p8400 each + p600 for alignment.  I bought them at Yokohama.  They have a more heavy duty heavy treaded Geolander off road tire for p12,000 and I'm sure they are noisy.  I want quiet tires.

• Like 2

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

Tires manufactured in the Philippines have a reputation for wearing out quickly. Many prefer tires manufactured in other countries which require the payment of import duties. Thus, they are more expensive. When my father imported a Land Rover from England with military style tires, they lasted more than 4 years. Thereafter, the locally manufactured ones for jeepneys and light trucks were good for only one or two years.

Make sure they do wheel balancing and wheel alignment as part of the package when you purchase new ones.  Watch them do it if you can.  Regular tire rotation is likewise important using all five tires.  Otherwise, the spare in never used.  

For our motorhome, the original six tires were Continental manufactured for Mercedes Benz. They were worn out after 40,000 miles. I found out the manufacturing was originally in Germany and Continental had a good reputation similar to Michelin. When the factory was shifted to an Eastern European country (to save on labor costs), the quality went down. I decided to purchase six Toyo tires and after 75,000, they still look good for another 10,000 to 15,000 miles.  

• Like 2

Onemore52
Posted
Posted

Thanks for the very informative reply JJ

• 5 weeks later...
KurtVD
Posted
Posted (edited)
On 5/19/2018 at 9:53 AM, OnMyWay said:

I want quiet tires.

There’s usually a trade off between noise and longevity when it comes to tires. A long lasting tire is made from a harder compound, which produces more noise. I had Michelin (winter) tyres on a Toyota sedan that seemed to last forever, but they were so noisy that I swapped them for a set of Dunlops long before they were worn down, and these Dunlops transformed the car. Not only was it much quieter, it rode a lot better too. 

Edited by KurtVD

robert k
Posted
Posted

JJ brought up a good point. Filipinos I know look for Indonesian manufactured tires, better than local, cheaper than others.

Happyhorn52
Posted
Posted

It's my understand is that there is a trade off between soft rubber (performance) tires and hard rubber (long life) tires. When I had my 1989 firebird I would only get 30,000 miles out of a set of Goodyear gator back radials vs 50,000 miles out of a set of BF Goodrich tires. With the gator back radials the car performed like a true sports car but not with the Goodrich tires. 

http://www.superstreetonline.com/how-to/wheels-tires/modp-1201-tires-explained-tech/

• 5 months later...
Jeeperz
Posted
Posted

On the lookout for good tires too. Are Toyo, Goodyear, and other branded tires sold in Blumentritt tires shops original and brand new? I've also seen some Goodyear tires in S&R when I went there with my cousins.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Jeeperz said:

On the lookout for good tires too. Are Toyo, Goodyear, and other branded tires sold in Blumentritt tires shops original and brand new? I've also seen some Goodyear tires in S&R when I went there with my cousins.

S&R carries several name brands including Yokohama.  Compare the price of a Yokohama to Goodyear, BF Goodrich, etc., and the Yokohamas are cheaper.  They have a plant in Clark Freeport so that is probably why.  The others are probably imported from another Asian factory.

• Like 2