Choosing a place to live (expat)

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, KurtVD said:

I just wanted to know if my observation of the price situation is about correct, eg it doesn’t get much cheaper than 10k?

The type of accommodation you are describing rents for about 8 to 10K pesos in many places around Philippines.  On occasion, I have seen that kind of accommodation rent for as little as 7K or as much as 12K.  It depends on circumstances. Most filipino landlords do not build a lot of flexibility into their prices.  The most aggressive discounts go to people willing to pay a year in advance, which is risky but may get you 10% off the rent bill.

Short answer.  You did fine.

Edited by Dave Hounddriver
  • Like 2

fillipino_wannabe
Posted
Posted

10k sounds cheap for 1 bed and furnished.

Reboot
Posted
Posted (edited)

Currently I am in furnished apartelle Tandag City. 3 bedroom with AC in every bed room. Fridge, kitchen, decent for Ph water pressure, 56 SM size. Middle of town right by the (tiny) Gaisano mall. Am paying php 17k. I added internet on the side. I was in a 2 bedroom and that was 12k. Needed another room for when friend comes to town. Housekeeper occupies the other one.

Edited by Reboot

Jim Sibbick
Posted
Posted
On 6/18/2018 at 4:08 PM, fillipino_wannabe said:

10k sounds cheap for 1 bed and furnished.

My thoughts exactly! I am surprised you can rent as cheap as that. So, I am now wondering how big it is. 

I am paying P6500 per month in Palompon Leyte for 2 storey, 2 bedroom, unfurnished, about 87 square metres (936 square foot). Palompon traditionally was very cheap but rents have gone up a lot lately. My last 2 bedroom apartment was only P2500 per month which was vacated in 2014 when my ex fiance and I separated.   

• Like 1

Gator
Posted
Posted
On 6/17/2018 at 3:30 AM, KurtVD said:

Hi all, 

since I had gotten a lot of helpful responses, here’s an update: I’m now staying in a split-level condo in Muntinlupa that I could rent for 10k/month, fully furnished (fridge, cooking gear, even a washing machine). 

Glad to learn you found a place to stay; sounds like a good deal. 

Out of curiosity, how did you find it? Did you wind up hiring a taxi or hiring a local to do the legwork for you? 

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
10 minutes ago, Gator said:

sounds like a good deal

On 6/18/2018 at 3:19 AM, KurtVD said:

I have spoken to a Filipino in the meantime, and he said that I could try to get it down to 8k/month

On 6/18/2018 at 2:36 AM, Old55 said:

Without pictures or knowing something of the area (noise, pollution, safety, accessibility, so much more) we can't help much.

Agree, agree, agree.

I have seen furnished 1BR condos advertised online in that area for 15K and up, but I also know that the cheaper ones do not advertise online so pics would be nice.  Still, if KurtVD is happy then we are happy :thumbsup:

• Like 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

KurtVD
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Gator said:

Glad to learn you found a place to stay; sounds like a good deal. 

Out of curiosity, how did you find it? Did you wind up hiring a taxi or hiring a local to do the legwork for you? 

Well, I got lucky: this landlord owns just this one condo, and I guess she had troubles finding renters, so she put it on Booking.com, and at first, it was supposed to be just my temporary place to find my condo. But once I was here, she asked what I was doing in Manila, and then she offered me to stay for a much lower price. I still looked at one or two other places, but I really liked it here - I have trees in front of the balcony! :) 

• Like 4

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, KurtVD said:

There you go

Much nicer than I envisioned.  I think 10K is fair if it is a high-value location. Well done.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Congratulations. Just goes to show “boots on ground” works.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1