Expats in Philippines choose never to return....

lobojohn
Posted
Posted
18 hours ago, Tukaram (Tim) said:

I only went back to the US once so far. I had only been here a year and already I felt like a visitor... staying at my family home ha ha...  I have been here over 5 years now and can't imagine what going back will feel like.  I am kind of halfway planning a trip back next year, to file my retirement papers, or not, we shall see.  :tiphat:

i was able to handle it all from here . maybe you can too? best of luck with it. SS is an easy do from here at the embassy. it was anyway when i did it. the pension was a diff story and took some real "creativity", but i got lucky with it. 

lobojohn
Posted
Posted
41 minutes ago, Queenie O. said:

After four years here now, even though I miss my family and friends in the States sometimes, this is my permanent home now here in Cebu. I'm not the same person I was when I left, and my roots are now here. I haven't been back for a visit either, as I fear that after the long trek I'd feel like a stranger there. I'm happy where I am here, warts and all. 

As far as being an American though, I'll always have my American sensibility and identity. I'll hold that in my heart for the rest of my life.

my feelings exactly queenie.. besides, if those i miss also miss me enough they have the means to travel here and get their sensibilities totally re-arranged. hahaha

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

Going back to file retirement is a good excuse to go meet my 2 grand kids. Last time I was there was for my daughter's wedding... she has 2 kids now... 

The tough part will be trying to get my wife a tourist visa, I think.  :tiphat:

• Like 3

bows00
Posted
Posted
On ‎5‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 8:13 AM, Jollygoodfellow said:

if Im here in the Phils as its just more distance but nothing has changed.

That is reassuring.  I guess I will ease into the change, revisiting my aging mother at least twice a year (and the month of May seems to be a good choice - I hear it is really hot there).

• Like 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, bows00 said:

and the month of May seems to be a good choice - I hear it is really hot there

Personally I dont feel it's that hot here in Cebu city this month although last night it was rather warm like 2 in the morning.

• Like 1
  • Hmm thinking 2

lobojohn
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, bows00 said:

That is reassuring.  I guess I will ease into the change, revisiting my aging mother at least twice a year (and the month of May seems to be a good choice - I hear it is really hot there).

its hot here , but not in all places and i remember it being hotter in the US at times . i remember street tar bubbling up during the summer and sticking to our flip flops, so its not so bad to me . the danger is the proximity to the equator /sun. an all day American sunburn will only take about an hour here, so beware. 

odd thing is that pinoys here complain a lot about the heat.. go figure. 

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

Lately, here in Iloilo, it has been 95 degrees with a heat index of 115.   The city has been posting warnings on FB.  (about 35C-45C)

• Like 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Tukaram (Tim) said:

Lately, here in Iloilo, it has been 95 degrees with a heat index of 115.   The city has been posting warnings on FB.  (about 35C-45C)

Same thing here too in Cebu Tim, heat warnings have been posted almost every day this week.

• Like 1