Car batteries: High Cost, Low Lifespan

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
18 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Another item that is cheap to buy is a battery voltage tester. 

I'm going to look for a new digital one today.  I have an analog and the needle is sticking, so I will spring for a digital.

• Like 2

Dr. Shiva
Posted
Posted

Short distance driving (up to 15 km) is not good either for a battery. It will then not be recharged well while that short distance. A special off car battery pulse charger with recondition function can revive a battery as long it is not too far down. A very good brand for battery charger is CTEK.

• Like 1

Clermont
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Jack Peterson said:

Sir you have an Automatic with Electric Steering and we have found Steering problems with batteries below a 68% load.  Good EH? :wink:

See Jack, were never to old to learn, :hystery:

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
9 minutes ago, Dr. Shiva said:

Short distance driving (up to 15 km) is not good either for a battery. It will then not be recharged

Normally Doc I would agree but one thing we have found is that Modern up to date Alternators recharging is very Quick. About a week after we got the car my wife unfortunately did not close the boot (Trunk) properly and i did not not know that if the Boot is not closed the Light stays on and it discharged the Battery over 1 week the immobilizer system did not work either So we had a Flat battery, 1.5 hours later the Battery was back to Full charge, then we set of for a run. lesson learned for us, if the Immobiliser light is not Flashing then we have a discharge somewhere on the Car either a door or window or the boot are not securely closed but having said all this I will agree that we should try and ensure we do what we can to maintain a full charge :smile: In fact I run the car for 5 to 10 minutes each other day to make sure all is well if it is laid up for a while :smile:

• Like 1

Happyhorn52
Posted
Posted

Anyone know where you can get an Optima battery in Pampanga? Best battery you can buy but hard to find and probably expensive in the Philippines. 

https://www.optimabatteries.com/en-us/en-ph

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Dr. Shiva said:

Short distance driving (up to 15 km) is not good either for a battery. It will then not be recharged well while that short distance. A special off car battery pulse charger with recondition function can revive a battery as long it is not too far down. A very good brand for battery charger is CTEK.

Trickle chargers like CTEK are very popular with owners of seasonal vehicles.  I had one for my Corvettes, for use during winter.  Corvettes are infamous for battery drain from the computer and security systems.

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
24 minutes ago, Happyhorn52 said:

Anyone know where you can get an Optima battery in Pampanga? Best battery you can buy but hard to find and probably expensive in the Philippines. 

https://www.optimabatteries.com/en-us/en-ph

They have some Optimas at American Hardware here in Subic.  I'm sure they are pricey.  Have you checked Lazada?

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
48 minutes ago, Happyhorn52 said:

Anyone know where you can get an Optima battery in Pampanga?

No, but if you go to their Facebook page here.  Look where it says: "Authorized OPTIMA Batteries Dealer Network" and click more.  It may show you one that is close enough they will ship to you.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Happyhorn52
Posted
Posted

Thanks all!

There are two in Subic which is better than going to Manila. 

• Like 3

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Happyhorn52 said:

Thanks all!

There are two in Subic which is better than going to Manila. 

I was in American Hardware today and took a look at the Optimas.  I was just paying for a few things when I remembered about the Optimas, and asked the owner, Henry, about them.  He has around 15-20 in different sizes, mostly yellow top.  Most are p18,000-p20,000.  The cheapest is a smaller one for Japanese cars at p13,000.

I told him a friend from Angeles might call about them.  If you call, ask him about the warranty.  When I was looking at his Honda Power products a few years ago, he said his store does not deal with the warranty and you would have to deal with Honda directly.  And there is no authorized Honda Power Products service centers here, so I did not buy any Honda Power Products.

As I have mentioned before, American Hardware is very pricey, but they have some delicious stuff!  I have only bought a few things there in the past 5 years.  Today I bought a slingshot for $12, a digital voltmeter for $15 and some picture hanging wire for $1.

That other one might only have marine batteries, so make sure you call first, unless you just need a joy ride out to Subic anyway!

Edited by OnMyWay
  • Like 2