Commemorative weekend

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

It's Memorial Weekend in the United States to honor those in the military past and present.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

bastonjock
Posted
Posted

The area around where I live can be found many old ww2 airfields ,the one at kings cliff was a fighter squadron base , the USAF division here was the 8th division , the large cemetery at Cambridge ,which is about an hour away contains the remains of many USAF personnel

With regard to RAF ,  I've seen headstones at local church yards 

They still occasionally dig up the old aircraft that are buried in the ground and some crews remains , the sea off of East Anglia is the real graveyard to the pilots and crews of the various air forces that were involved in that struggle

The average life expectancy of a rear gunner in the RAF during WW2 was three missions ,one old guy I spoke to said that they usually had hose what was left out of the gun position 

• Like 1

Jake
Posted
Posted

Tribute to the Fallen.PNG

I often times remind my young sailors that the most difficult job in the military is being a military wife.  Many surviving family members also suffer from their own PTSD.  

To all the fallen warriors of all flags, may you rest in peace with plenty of beer for your Memorial weekend.  

• Like 5

Gary D
Posted
Posted

We had US reletives over last year and took them to the Madingley (Cambridge) cemetary, we are about 30 mins away. Well worth a visit if you are in the area.

• Like 1

bastonjock
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, Gary D said:

We had US reletives over last year and took them to the Madingley (Cambridge) cemetary, we are about 30 mins away. Well worth a visit if you are in the area.

I'm up near Alconbury ,the next time the bike club organises a ride out to madingly I'll take a few pics 

• Like 3