Pressure Water Tanks

PaulB
Posted
Posted

Dear Fonts of all Knowledge

I am writing this sat at Heathrow Airport, London as I wait for my flight back to Abu Dhabi. My wife and I have had a lovely break to see kids, grandkids, friends and family. As she was away from our house in the Philippines it seems the pressure tank for our water system has imploded. Made a racket apparently!

It seems the water district had turned off the supply for some work to be done and somehow the tank imploded on itself. We have had a new one installed so all is good for the wife's return next week but I wondered firstly if anyone else had experienced this and secondly, as I am no plumber, what would have caused it? I can't seem to get my head around how, if nobody is using the water in the house, could the tank get so much suction inside to implode. 

I appreciate anyone who could shed some light on this as it appears a mystery to me.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Paul

• Like 1

Clermont
Posted
Posted

The only thing I can think of, 1 st a blocked breather, it lets air in and out of the tank when filling or discharging water out of tank. 2nd you've got a leak, maybe not noticeable but it will be there, and with a blocked breather it imploded. Maybe, check tap washers would be my first choice. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

It does sound like a blocked breather. Chances are with the water feed into the tank turned off the used water isn't getting replaced. If you have a pump on the delivery side it will be sucking out the water and creating a vacuum. 

Gary D
Posted
Posted (edited)

The suck must have come from the main side. Pressure tanks do not have a breather, you can collapse a Bestank if the breather blocks.

Edited by Gary D
spelling

• 3 weeks later...
Onemore52
Posted
Posted
On 5/31/2018 at 3:55 PM, Gary D said:

The suck must have come from the main side. Pressure tanks do not have a breather, you can collapse a Bestank if the breather blocks.

Gary,

Where is the breather on a Bestank please?

PaulB
Posted
Posted

Gary

You were right. The breather was stuck and caused tank to implode. All replaced with a more expensive version.

Paul

• Like 1

Gary D
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, Onemore52 said:

Gary,

Where is the breather on a Bestank please?

Reading the instructions it suggests it's part of the lid. Our's has two inlet holes, one being open.