Oh to be young again lol

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
12 minutes ago, JJReyes said:

Like it or not, it's a different generation that is growing up. The rules and etiquette are different. My wife and I used to spend evenings at a university library doing research. Library? They are obsolete.  Remember that wonderful invention called a fax machine? Also obsolete.

I really don't see texting on a phone as much different to reading a newspaper at the table or on the train to work (which was VERY common with my fathers generation).

I guess it depends if you grew up in a household that read a lot or didn't read much, I used to wait with anticipation for the news paper to be finished with so that I could read it (I wasn't allowed to read it first even though I was home first because then it got creased and rumpled).

• Like 5

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
53 minutes ago, Queenie O. said:

Another pathetic thing everywhere now is when someone takes a selfie of a social gathering at a restaurant and everyone is super animated and faking out this fabulous get-together. Next minute everyone is quiet and back at their own little screen

The time when this bothers me most is when it is done at funerals or "viewings".  I know it is just my cultural background because here, in Philippines, the viewing is supposed to be a time of celebrating the life of the deceased and what better way than having everyone super animated and faking smiles around the deceased's body while they take selfies.  But my culture is to respect the deceased and the feelings of the close family members so I have to accept and shut up about this.  So I vent it here. :grouphugg:

• Like 4

Gerald Glatt
Posted
Posted
15 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

:shooter:The time when this bothers me most is when it is done at funerals or "viewings".  I know it is just my cultural background because here, in Philippines, the viewing is supposed to be a time of celebrating the life of the deceased and what better way than having everyone super animated and faking smiles around the deceased's body while they take selfies.  But my culture is to respect the deceased and the feelings of the close family members so I have to accept and shut up about this.  So I vent it here. :grouphugg:

They may be texting the deceased or sending their selfies to him.  After all he gets a rake from the poker table.:shooter:

• Haha 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, GeoffH said:

I guess it depends if you grew up in a household that read a lot or didn't read much, I used to wait with anticipation for the news paper to be finished with so that I could read it (I wasn't allowed to read it first even though I was home first because then it got creased and rumpled).

We had a similar rule in our home. Manila has 3 dailies at the time. No one was allowed to read the newspapers until my father finished. Luckily, he woke up at 4:00 am; had his first cup of coffee; waited for the newspapers to arrive. 

Edited by JJReyes
  • Like 1

stevewool
Posted
Posted
17 hours ago, Queenie O. said:

Another pathetic thing everywhere now is when someone takes a selfie of a social gathering at a restaurant and everyone is super animated and faking out this fabulous get-together. Next minute everyone is quiet and back at their own little screen.

And everyone looks like  gods and goddesses with no wrinkles and the perfect pose , well except me they cannot iron out my wrinkles it seems.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, stevewool said:

they cannot iron out my wrinkles it seems.

Come to Philippines.  The smiles from all those pretty girls will help get your wrinkles out. :whistling:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

jimeve
Posted
Posted

Weird how they take photos of the food the going to eat, then ask the servers to take half a dozen pics of them. Then out come the selfies. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

stevewool
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Come to Philippines.  The smiles from all those pretty girls will help get your wrinkles out. :whistling:

Yes plus a black eye from the wife.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...
lobojohn
Posted
Posted
On 6/3/2018 at 4:48 PM, robert k said:

Young people seem to not be able to handle a conversation these days. If it's just a text, there is no obligation to respond. 

you hit the nail on the head robert and ill add that the future looks very dim regarding the art of conversation or rather the loss of it  its a lot more serious than people realize. 

my rule for the kids in our family is no phones out while youre here visiting and the same applies when we go out to a resto for dinner. im happy to report that ive actually had conversations with them and ive also given them the stats on the microwave penetration data that is now coming to light  dont snicker yet..

a niece who is a smart phone addict recently discovered a walnut sized tumor in one of her breasts.  at 16 she is petrified and will have it removed soon. 

ive never used a smart phone. i mean i tried , but im not smart enough to use one. its complicated.  anyway.. any chance you get try to talk to young kids. its probably the only time they ever have any conversation.