Jump to content
scott h

Oh to be young again lol

Recommended Posts

12 minutes ago, JJReyes said:

Like it or not, it's a different generation that is growing up. The rules and etiquette are different. My wife and I used to spend evenings at a university library doing research. Library? They are obsolete.  Remember that wonderful invention called a fax machine? Also obsolete.

 

I really don't see texting on a phone as much different to reading a newspaper at the table or on the train to work (which was VERY common with my fathers generation).

 

I guess it depends if you grew up in a household that read a lot or didn't read much, I used to wait with anticipation for the news paper to be finished with so that I could read it (I wasn't allowed to read it first even though I was home first because then it got creased and rumpled).

 

 

 

 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Queenie O. said:

Another pathetic thing everywhere now is when someone takes a selfie of a social gathering at a restaurant and everyone is super animated and faking out this fabulous get-together. Next minute everyone is quiet and back at their own little screen

The time when this bothers me most is when it is done at funerals or "viewings".  I know it is just my cultural background because here, in Philippines, the viewing is supposed to be a time of celebrating the life of the deceased and what better way than having everyone super animated and faking smiles around the deceased's body while they take selfies.  But my culture is to respect the deceased and the feelings of the close family members so I have to accept and shut up about this.  So I vent it here. :grouphugg:

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

:shooter:The time when this bothers me most is when it is done at funerals or "viewings".  I know it is just my cultural background because here, in Philippines, the viewing is supposed to be a time of celebrating the life of the deceased and what better way than having everyone super animated and faking smiles around the deceased's body while they take selfies.  But my culture is to respect the deceased and the feelings of the close family members so I have to accept and shut up about this.  So I vent it here. :grouphugg:

They may be texting the deceased or sending their selfies to him.  After all he gets a rake from the poker table.:shooter:

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, GeoffH said:

I guess it depends if you grew up in a household that read a lot or didn't read much, I used to wait with anticipation for the news paper to be finished with so that I could read it (I wasn't allowed to read it first even though I was home first because then it got creased and rumpled).

We had a similar rule in our home. Manila has 3 dailies at the time. No one was allowed to read the newspapers until my father finished. Luckily, he woke up at 4:00 am; had his first cup of coffee; waited for the newspapers to arrive. 

Edited by JJReyes
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Queenie O. said:

 

Another pathetic thing everywhere now is when someone takes a selfie of a social gathering at a restaurant and everyone is super animated and faking out this fabulous get-together. Next minute everyone is quiet and back at their own little screen.

And everyone looks like  gods and goddesses with no wrinkles and the perfect pose , well except me they cannot iron out my wrinkles it seems.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, stevewool said:

they cannot iron out my wrinkles it seems.

Come to Philippines.  The smiles from all those pretty girls will help get your wrinkles out. :whistling:

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Weird how they take photos of the food the going to eat, then ask the servers to take half a dozen pics of them. Then out come the selfies. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, jimeve said:

take photos of the food the going to eat,

We were at a restaurant and the table next to us had one of those meals for 16 delivered to the table. The restaurant made a big display of it and delivered it on a huge stretcher carried by to guys. It was done up right. 

My wife's cousin got up, left our table and went to their table and took a picture of it. 

Mean while I was looking for hole to crawl in :hystery:

  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Come to Philippines.  The smiles from all those pretty girls will help get your wrinkles out. :whistling:

Yes plus a black eye from the wife.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×