Moving to Subic - ideas?

PakWaan
Posted
Posted

I just accepted an offer on my house in Florida and will be moving to the Philippines in July. I’m thinking Subic Freeport Zone at least for 6 months until I have a chance to look around more. I need fast internet as I’m in the software business here in the US.  

Any ideas about rental rates for 2 bedroom houses?  Any good realtors to work with?  Any temp housing suggestions for when I first arrive until,I can find something?  

Oh, and I’m bringing my German Shepherd with me.  I figure a boarding kennel in Manila might work until I find a place that will allow me to have her.

So many things to organize........

• Like 3

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

About your dog. We brought our cat when we moved, and had to go through some serious hoops. Have you taken care of that yet?

• Like 1

PakWaan
Posted
Posted

Not yet.  I understand the vet certification has to be done within 2 weeks of leaving

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
25 minutes ago, PakWaan said:

vet certification

yes and then you need to get the certification validated at the nearest Philippine consulate. Then you need to coordinate with the airline, not all take pets.

You have your work cut out for you :thumbsup: 

• Like 3
  • Love it 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, PakWaan said:

I just accepted an offer on my house in Florida and will be moving to the Philippines in July. I’m thinking Subic Freeport Zone at least for 6 months until I have a chance to look around more. I need fast internet as I’m in the software business here in the US.  

Any ideas about rental rates for 2 bedroom houses?  Any good realtors to work with?  Any temp housing suggestions for when I first arrive until,I can find something?  

Oh, and I’m bringing my German Shepherd with me.  I figure a boarding kennel in Manila might work until I find a place that will allow me to have her.

So many things to organize........

For temporary take a look at Air Bnb.  If you can stay a while, you can offer them a lower price.  Something like this one.  There are several for rent in this building which is in the CBD and near a lot of things you will need.

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/10551361?location=Subic Bay Freeport Zone%2C Central Luzon%2C Philippines&s=RpzqsU02

If you decide to live in Subic, you will need a car.  For your temporary stay, I would recommend a rental car for part of the time, so you can do better "boots on the ground" survey of housing.  Taxis are a bit expensive on a one off basis, but you could also hire one for a day for a negotiable rate.

You need a decent yard with a large dog, but unfortunately not many are fenced in the old Navy housing areas.  You could build a large kennel if you walk the dog a lot.

Have you been here?  Where is your house in FL?  I'm selling mine in S FL later this year.

• Like 2
  • Love it 1

PakWaan
Posted
Posted

I was stationed at Clark for 5 years in the 80s.  Wanted to be closer to the beach this time, and don’t want to listen to karaoke all night - so thought the Freeport might be a good bet.  I plan to buy a car, but understand that even though my US license will be good for 90 days, I can’t get a PI license immediately?

PakWaan
Posted
Posted

I’m in Orlando

Gary D
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, PakWaan said:

I was stationed at Clark for 5 years in the 80s.  Wanted to be closer to the beach this time, and don’t want to listen to karaoke all night - so thought the Freeport might be a good bet.  I plan to buy a car, but understand that even though my US license will be good for 90 days, I can’t get a PI license immediately?

You may be able to get a licence immediatly but strictly by the law you need to have been in country for 1 month and show a visa for a further 12 months. You may get lucky, but you may not.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Gary D said:

I plan to buy a car, but understand that even though my US license will be good for 90 days, I can’t get a PI license immediately?

2 hours ago, Gary D said:

You may get lucky, but you may not.

That statement is very true, Gary.  We have some members who got lucky and others who did not.  When you arrive, network with other expats in the area you will call home.  Ask around to find the ones who have done it and follow what they did.  There are guys at our Dumaguete meet-up who have got their Philippine driver's license after just a couple/few months of being here but that won't help you unless you want to come to Dumaguete.  Philippines is a country where your experience will often be different from the next expat's.

• Like 2

Rooster
Posted
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, PakWaan said:

I too was stationed at Clark in the 80's, retired here afterwards. Are you Ret/USAF or Vet?

80's were the good days, Temple of Rock, Maverick City, Murphys, Super Head, Mega head, Blow alley, too many to mention. :thumbsup:

Edited by Rooster
  • Like 2