After closure, gov’t yet to solve Boracay woes

JDDavao II
Posted
Posted

The headline should read: Two months after closure, gov't yet to start to solve Boracay woes...

After closure, gov’t yet to solve Boracay woes

At the hearing of the Senate Committee on Environment and Natural Resources, senators learned that the government has yet to delineate the service areas of the two water concessionaires in the island, a reason Senator Cynthia Villar blamed for the poor wastewater management in the area.

Officials cited a conflict over which authority should divide Boracay between the Boracay Island Water Inc. and Boracay 2B.

Interior and Local Government Undersecretary for Operations Epimaco Densing said they asked the Office of the President to decide which of Tourism Infrastructure and Enterprise Zone Authority (TIEZA), or the National Water Resources Board under the Department of Environment and Natural Resources (DENR).

brmpipes
Posted
Posted

I was informed they want to saw 5.5inches off our business to widen the main road. Across from us is a lagoon that would more then satisfy the extra needed for the road. Only in the Philippines.  This is our building I'm talking about not the entrance  or curb.

• Love it 1
  • Sad 2

Clermont
Posted
Posted
16 minutes ago, brmpipes said:

I was informed they want to saw 5.5inches off our business to widen the main road. Across from us is a lagoon that would more then satisfy the extra needed for the road. Only in the Philippines.  This is our building I'm talking about not the entrance  or curb.

Yeah it's difficult to comprehend, but under the building code of the PI's "no structure is to be within 2 meters of the road" maybe you have got caught up in that law seeing all eyes are on the officials now. I do feel sorry for you, that is why a Links page was set up in the Browse section to help us expats understand the laws before we shell out our money only to find ourselves in situations like yours. :thumbsup:

• Thanks 1

brmpipes
Posted
Posted

The problem being that the government claims to own all the land and only gave out tax declared lots to some of the residence. Now if they want to widen the road they can and you cant do nothing to change that. We are well within our boundary of our lot with the set back from the original road that was present when we constructed.

brmpipes
Posted
Posted

I have done well with the business and have not lost any money in the transaction. It just seems strange that things are so messed up here.We are one of a few that followed the rules and permitted everything so we wouldn't have problems later on. So much for being above board.

• Like 4

Clermont
Posted
Posted

I suppose you can not foresee the future, resuming land you can not do much about. :thumbsup:

JDDavao II
Posted
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, brmpipes said:

That's terrible! They widened the road that goes past our place and chopped the fronts off of dozens of homes and businesses.

It seems to me that part of the problem is caused by the generally small lots and lack of required setback. The sidewalks they left are barely 2 ft. wide in places and the city usually locates a utility pole in the middle of them.

I just read your other post, brmpipes, so ignore the setback thing above.

Edited by JDDavao
  • Like 1

JDDavao II
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, brmpipes said:

I have done well with the business and have not lost any money in the transaction. It just seems strange that things are so messed up here.We are one of a few that followed the rules and permitted everything so we wouldn't have problems later on. So much for being above board.

We did the same. We paid special attention to keeping our perimeter wall short of the dirt road we're on. My wife said if they ever decide to improve the road, we might lose our plants to a forced sidewalk, but not have to rebuild the wall like some of the people up and down the main road. 

• Like 1

Clermont
Posted
Posted
This is an extract out of the building code of the PI's, widening roads you can not do much about, although it sounds as though you have complied to the code, it still doesn't help.

(a) Dwelling Location and Lot Occupancy. The dwelling shall occupy not more than 90 per cent of a corner lot and 80 per cent of an inside lot, and subject to the provisions on easements of light and view of the Civil Code of the Philippines, shall be at least 2.00 meters (6 feet, inches) from the property line. 
  • Like 1

robert k
Posted
Posted

Frankly, I would tear out the illegal stuff and wait for nature to reclaim it too. Clean up is fairly expensive and jungle or ocean will reclaim a lot if you just keep out of the way and let it get on with it for 6 months.