After closure, gov’t yet to solve Boracay woes

brmpipes
Posted
Posted
18 hours ago, Clermont said:
This is an extract out of the building code of the PI's, widening roads you can not do much about, although it sounds as though you have complied to the code, it still doesn't help.

(a) Dwelling Location and Lot Occupancy. The dwelling shall occupy not more than 90 per cent of a corner lot and 80 per cent of an inside lot, and subject to the provisions on easements of light and view of the Civil Code of the Philippines, shall be at least 2.00 meters (6 feet, inches) from the property line. 

That may be true with most cases but if the government claims to own all the land on the island, they can build a road right through your property regardless of setback ect.I think I see what you meant after typing so will leave post as is.

• Like 1

Rooster
Posted
Posted
On ‎6‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 2:41 PM, Clermont said:
This is an extract out of the building code of the PI's, widening roads you can not do much about, although it sounds as though you have complied to the code, it still doesn't help.

(a) Dwelling Location and Lot Occupancy. The dwelling shall occupy not more than 90 per cent of a corner lot and 80 per cent of an inside lot, and subject to the provisions on easements of light and view of the Civil Code of the Philippines, shall be at least 2.00 meters (6 feet, inches) from the property line.  

Any thoughts whey DENR is quoted as saying it's 12 Meters in 2 separate articles?

June 22, 2018:

More than 500 structures along the main road are affected by road widening with most residential and business owners opting to demolish portions of their properties encroaching on the 12-meter road easement.
http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/1001982/boracay-road-expansion-rushed-to-meet-islands-reopening-in-october

April 26, 2018:

A total of 679 commercial, residential and institutional structures were found by the Department of Environment and Natural Resources to have encroached within the 12-meter road-easement rule. A DENR official said the owners of these structures would be asked to institute corrective measures or do “self-demolition.”

https://businessmirror.com.ph/679-structures-in-boracay-violated-road-easement-rule/

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
55 minutes ago, Rooster said:

Any thoughts whey DENR is quoted as saying it's 12 Meters in 2 separate articles?

Because the building code and the DPW rules and the DENR rules all need to be followed so taking just one rule and isolating it is a recipe for disaster.

Clermont
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, Rooster said:

I have been searching the net for a quote but have only come across blogs. I remember reading it in one of the gov web sites but that was months back now, but I will keep searching as not only you but other posts will be interested. I only posts Gov pages with codes attached and dates, some of the codes go back sixty years, but are just starting to be revised now because of modern building tecnics.

I read your links and the only plausible explanation I can see, is the commercial buildings were either built on residential land without proper zoning or resident housing was built on commercial land not complying with the code. Either way you are in the PI's and they have their own code of ethics and I don't think a class action would get up.

Have you driven through larger towns and seen empty little blocks next to highways, the reason most of them are vacant is because you can not build on them because of building codes and regulations. Believe it or not the PI's are coming to age.

As for the squatters in the wetlands, I feel sorry for them but they came from somewhere, I guess they'll have to go back to where they came from. Not very sympathetic but all countries have their codes and before anyone buys/ builds a retirement house, read and understand the laws. Why bite your nose off to spite your face in saving some Peso's, get the proper blokes to do the job. :thumbsup:

brmpipes
Posted
Posted
15 hours ago, Rooster said:

June 22, 2018:

More than 500 structures along the main road are affected by road widening with most residential and business owners opting to demolish portions of their properties encroaching on the 12-meter road easement.
http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/1001982/boracay-road-expansion-rushed-to-meet-islands-reopening-in-october

April 26, 2018:

A total of 679 commercial, residential and institutional structures were found by the Department of Environment and Natural Resources to have encroached within the 12-meter road-easement rule. A DENR official said the owners of these structures would be asked to institute corrective measures or do “self-demolition.”

https://businessmirror.com.ph/679-structures-in-boracay-violated-road-easement-rule/

The first article states some have taken the bottom portion of the encroachment out but left the other floors intact. Sounds like a fight is in the works. The plans for the road widening include a bike lane on both sides and sidewalks .The actual width for vehicle traffic looks to be unchanged. Also D_mall  just up from or building might get demo because of building on wet lands.

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
16 hours ago, Rooster said:

A couple possibilities come to mind.

1)the code is referring to a 2 meter setback from the property line while the articles are quoting the 12 meter width of the road right-of-way. In this instance, building in the road right-of-way means you are not only violating the setback requirement, you have built over the property line.

2)the code is setting a minimum setback but the local government had increased the setback from 2 to 12 meters in that area.

• Like 1

stevewool
Posted
Posted

I had a few spare minutes yesterday so i googled map Borocay and walked the streets and how it has changed since i went there, ok it was 9 years ago but i would not rush back there again in what i saw, there are better places to see in my eyes .

• Like 1