Philippine Ambulances

robert k
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Mike J said:

Another problem is the number of vehicles that tailgate the ambulance.  Yesterday I kept moving but moved over to the shoulder to allow an ambulance to pass.  I was nearly sideswiped by the vehicle following as I pulled back into line.

Sadly Mike, once you yield the lane, the idiot drafting behind the ambulance has the right of way because you are now the same as any other traffic entering the lane. I get over too and I expect nobody to courteously let me back in. It is what it is.

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted

Going from here in the province heading to  Cebu City, the sirens blare with lights flashing all the way. When my husband had his motorcycle accident almost two years ago, the only ambulance available (not already in use from two towns) was really a glorified multicab, but to the driver's credit, he made pretty good time and people seemed to stay out of his way.

I see many drivers in Mandaue and Cebu City though, fail to pull over and yield to ambulances, and the drivers often have to do their best to go around them.  Why aren't there more driving safety rules posted around roadsides and city streets? I know that most laws are not followed, but over time maybe it would serve to educate some who are unaware.:89: A general lawlessness in many instances in the Philippines bothers me at times, but a lack of educating the general public on what could/should be expected might be helpful.

As Mike just said, oftentimes you see fast vehicles trying to follow close in the path of the ambulance. I guess a fast way of overtaking the traffic.

• Like 1

brmpipes
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

Unfortunately, when backing into a stall and parking the risk is higher on vehicle damage expense if someone hits you after you have parked.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted (edited)

It is interesting that the day after I started this topic I saw an ambulance (in the same area as the one in the opening post) traveling with the traffic and no lights, no sirens. A half hour later I saw an ambulance with lights flashing and NO sirens. I guess one just has to watch for it. The ones I do notice are all the ones with the lights and sirens but today I found out - - - I was wrong about them never traveling with lights and sirens off. :9436:

9 hours ago, Mike J said:

Another problem is the number of vehicles that tailgate the ambulance.

That bugs me but every time it happens I think to myself. "Self, maybe they are the relatives of the guy/gal in the ambulance and they are following him/her to the hospital".  Since we can never know, in that instant they are speeding by, I tend to give them the benefit of the doubt.  I know how I would feel if I was following a relative to the hospital and someone cut me off because they thought I was being an ass so they decided to be a bigger ass.

EDIT:  People who jump to incorrect conclusions and decide to take matters into their own hands are a pet peeve of mine.  I remember when I was 30 and perfectly healthy but I had a handicapped sticker on my car and parked right by the front door of the mall.  Some people saw me do it and egged my car.

They were not around when I wheeled my father out of the mall in his wheelchair and tried to load him into the car.  Shame, I could have used the help instead of the self-righteous pricks who thought they had taught me a lesson.

Edited by Dave Hounddriver
  • Like 4