Keep off tourists, Duterte tells BI, police

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

By Genalyn Kabiling

Apart from the Bureau of Immigration (BI), President Duterte has ordered the Philippine National Police (PNP) to stop pestering tourists in the country or else face dire consequences.

“I’m ordering now that kayong mga immigration and police should not approach any of the tourist on the guise of question about their stay or valid papers,” the President said during the launch of Vista Mall in Iloilo City Wednesday night.

The President lamented that many Korean and Chinese tourists were “always bugged by immigration and police.” Koreans and Chinese tourists are considered the top foreign visitors of the country.

“Stop it, ayoko ng ganun [I don’t like that]” the President said.

The President, in an earlier speech before land reform beneficiaries in Iloilo City, has warned immigration personnel to stop extorting money from foreigners or else they would be killed or deployed to Jolo.

Duterte told the immigration bureau to leave the country’s tourists alone after getting complaints of alleged extortion of some visitors. He said only Immigration chief Jaime Morente was authorized to give the order to the bureau personnel.

“There’s a lot of stupid things going on. Do not do that because isang mali lang, hihiritan kita. Either patayin kita or sampulan kita or itapon kita sa Jolo [one mistake, I will hit back. Either I’ll kill you, make you an example or throw you in Jolo],” he said.

Tourism Secretary Bernadette Romulo-Puyat earlier revealed that Chinese tourists have complained of extortion by some Bureau of Customs personnel. Puyat reportedly raised the complaint to Customs chief Isidro Lapeña, who in turn promised to look into the matter.

Hope this works out.

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
32 minutes ago, sonjack2847 said:

extortion by some Bureau of Customs personnel

I have read this story from a couple of sources and Duterte seems to be saying that the BI officers must stop accepting graft money and stop approaching tourists to hint at it.

It is my opinion that he is not suggesting they do their jobs any different than "business as usual" but without the under the table payments.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
50 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

under the table payments.

:shock_40_anim_gif:Has anyone one here had experience of this, I have never and I can't think of any of my many friends have either :89:

Just saying

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
43 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

Has anyone one here had experience of this

Not in Dumaguete.  But in Cebu it was quite common, to the point of blatant in days past and still done on the quiet today.  Undoubtedly in other places too.  I wouldn't have mentioned it if I was not sure, but people who know of such things don't generally blab them about.  I only know because "friends have told me" so you can believe, or not.  It's up to you.

• Thanks 1