Acclimatize, of not?

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

My thought for the day.

I have visited many expats who are quite proud of the fact they have acclimatized.  This means they do not use air conditioning in their house for the majority of the day and it means their electric bill is about $70 a month less than mine.

As I sit here in my 24/7 airconditioned home I wonder why they bother.  Then the thought hit me:  If those same expats were to take their wives back to their home countries and tell them to put on long undies and a sweater and "acclimatize" to save $70 off the heating bill, would they have a rebellion on their hands?  :hystery:

I think I will put up with the "guilt" of paying too much for electricity.  Anyone sweltering in the heat today? :56da64b0e8139_36_1_471:

• Like 3

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Anyone sweltering in the heat today?

not me aircon is set at 26 :56da64b0e8139_36_1_471:

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
24 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I think I will put up with the "guilt" of paying too much for electricity. 

:thumbsup:    you know it makes sense.jpg :smile:

• Like 1

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted

I wonder how many of 'them' bragging about not using aircon, either up the mountain or on the beach with shade trees and windows on 3 or 4 sides of the house, would be in a position to brag if they were your neighbor? Some areas in 'Dumaguete Metro' are much hotter than others and not every house/apartment has the same breeze or shade.

• Hmm thinking 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

I don`t think anybody really acclimatizes to the same extent as the locals,who are used to the weather.I don`t use AC but I still feel the heat when out of the shade,inside the house here, a quarter of the way up the mountain, I feel fine.

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

I have gotten used to the humidity more than I thought  I would - but I still run my aircon at night. I am not a masochist. :tiphat: 

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, AlwaysRt said:

. . .  would be in a position to brag if they were your neighbor?

My neighbor in Sibulan you mean?  Or my neighbor in my country cottage in the hills of Borbon? :hystery:

"Bragging about it" has a negative sound to it so I glad that is your word, not mine.  I prefer to think the non-aircon users are:

4 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

quite proud of the fact they have acclimatized.

jimeve
Posted
Posted

We don't have air-con in our house it has plenty of windows and a double front door with a mosquito screen. But we have ceiling fans. I have only been in da fils about 17 months so I'm not climatized.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, sonjack2847 said:

I don`t think anybody really acclimatizes to the same extent as the locals,who are used to the weather.

Not sure about that. My GF complains about the heat but I think it's fine. If we are walking somewhere she complains more and I think to myself its hotter where I came from than what it is here. I guess if one comes from a typically cold climate then they will feel the heat here more so than others who have lived with humidity or a hot sun.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
17 minutes ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

My GF complains about the heat but I think it's fine. If we are walking somewhere she complains more

But is she really complaining about the heat?  Or about having to walk? :cheersty:

• Like 4
  • Haha 1