Acclimatize, of not?

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

My neighbor in Sibulan you mean?  Or my neighbor in my country cottage in the hills of Borbon? :hystery:

"Bragging about it" has a negative sound to it so I glad that is your word, not mine.  I prefer to think the non-aircon users are:

haha yes, your neighbor in Sibulan. While it sometimes just comes up in conversation (so no big deal) others I have talked to seem to think they deserve a medal and mention they don;t have aircon every time they see you. Those are the ones I was thinking of who seem to be "bragging about it".

• Like 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

But is she really complaining about the heat?  Or about having to walk? :cheersty:

The heat. She doesn't mind the walk.

• Like 1

bastonjock
Posted
Posted

It is a concern of mine ,the heat and the humidity , having been born in that northern sweat shop called Scotland ,we have to stand in the sun for the two days a year that it appears so we can turn white 

You can do a lot to your property to lower the internal temp , windows are the biggest source of solar gain ,use reflective film ,it reduces solar gain or heat as you may call it .,paint your roof silver if you can ,as for Aircon ,get one of the modern units such as a DAKIN that uses R32 gas 

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted (edited)

Hi Dave,

After four years here, I've adapted a little, but for the most part the sun and heat really bother me. Especially the months of May and June, which are always the hottest.  Being by the sea and having trees and breezes some days make  it cooler here in our yard/house.  That being said, I can't sit anywhere inside without a fan on me, and months can go by that we run our aircon on high in the bedroom at night or during a nap. If I'm in a supermarket that has weak aircon, I'm often seen standing in line like a dona waving a native fan on myself. I look around me and I'm the only one it seems breaking a sweat.:rolleyes: If I was to walk any amount of distance outside on the street I'd burn up like a lobster!  I'm delicate, and like to look neat and put together all the time.:smile:

Being from New England in the US, it just doesn't get that intensely sunny or hot for long, so I'll never completely adapt I'm sure.

Edited by Queenie O.
  • Like 1
  • Love it 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

When I lived in the frozen north there was a friend who delighted in showing off how macho he was.  When the weather was 20 below Celcius he would deliver propane to household tanks with his shirt off, trying to prove he had "acclimatized" to the "warm" weather (as it was often 40 below at that time of year).

Unfortunately, he also liked to smoke while pumping propane from his truck to the household tanks and that sparked a vapor flash which singed all the hair from his chest and beard.  He never did that again. :hystery:

Sorry for the digression.  It was just a funny story at the time.  No Québécois were hurt in the making of the story. :cheersty:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

robert k
Posted
Posted

I'm sitting here without the a/c on. I did run it a little this morning to cut the humidity though. I ran the a/c most of the day yesterday because it was hot as...well, hot! Nothing wrong with running the a/c. I certainly do while cooking indoors, it cuts the humidity and keeps the place from becoming beastly hot and I don't have to keep trotting to the dirty kitchen. My electric bill, cooking with electric, refrigerator, washing machine, fan, a/c, will probably run more than any month here previously, about 3k php. If you have a place you ever close up, I'm in favor of having an a/c unit to run enough to cut the humidity at least. I have jalousie windows. I put bubble wrap over them to keep the a/c in and it provides some insulation while still admitting light if I open the curtains. Keeps the skeeters out and good luck to any thieves trying to fish anything out of my place with a pole through a window. Be creative, be comfortable!

• Like 1

robert k
Posted
Posted
31 minutes ago, Queenie O. said:

Hi Dave,

After four years here, I've adapted a little, but for the most part the sun and heat really bother me. Especially the months of May and June, which are always the hottest.  Being by the sea and having trees and breezes some days make  it cooler here in our yard/house.  That being said, I can't sit anywhere inside without a fan on me, and months can go by that we run our aircon on high in the bedroom at night or during a nap. If I'm in a supermarket that has weak aircon, I'm often seen standing in line like a dona waving a native fan on myself. I look around me and I'm the only one it seems breaking a sweat.:rolleyes: If I was to walk any amount of distance outside on the street I'd burn up like a lobster!  I'm delicate, and like to look neat and put together all the time.:smile:

Being from New England in the US, it just doesn't get that intensely sunny or hot for long, so I'll never completely adapt I'm sure.

Queeny, when I was stationed at APG Maryland on the Chesapeake Bay, in the summer it could get as hot and miserable as it ever does here. The bay smelled like a bowl of bouillabaisse that had gone off a month ago. I think the military got it cheap ; ) because of that.

• Like 1

Lou49
Posted
Posted

The only place in the PI that I felt acclimatized to was the cordillera region of Baguio, Banaue, Sagade etc..otherwise fuggeddaboudit.

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, robert k said:

I put bubble wrap over them to keep the a/c in and it provides some insulation while still admitting light if I open the curtains. Keeps the skeeters out and good luck to any thieves trying to fish anything out of my place with a pole through a window. Be creative, be comfortable!

Is that something new? Security Bubble Wrap? LOL

Huggybearman
Posted
Posted

Has anyone used a dehumidifier to reduce humidity rather than a/c? If so, does it work over here?

I often find that its the humidity that gets to me rather than the temperature. And using a fan together with a dehumidifier would be a cheaper option than running a/c, I would have thought.

Ken

• Like 1