Solution for Water in Gas Tank

robert k
Posted
Posted (edited)

Where on Earth, or rather, where in the Philippines, do you get isopropyl alcohol above 90%? I was looking for some here to use cleaning computers. 70% isopropyl isn't going to do much if anything to absorb water.

Edited by robert k
  • Thanks 1

Rooster
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, robert k said:

Where on Earth, or rather, where in the Philippines, do you get isopropyl alcohol above 90%? I was looking for some here to use cleaning computers. 70% isopropyl isn't going to do much if anything to absorb water.

Go to a medical supply store that sells wheelchairs, crutches. If they don't have it in stock ask them to order it for you or you can order it from Shopee, Lazada or from the AD on OLX. It's available, you just have to shop around.

Lazada has a cheaper item but I saw it was out of stock.

https://shopee.ph/99-Isopropyl-Alcohol-500ml-i.24929774.383204149

https://www.lazada.com.ph/products/swan-isopropyl-alcohol-99-pint-16-oz-i118515520-s122956235.html?spm=a2o4l.searchlist.list.3.6fdf3efdLPwWul&search=1

https://www.olx.ph/item/999-isopropyl-alcohol-ID8ncdO.html?h=2c4a58ce6c&utm_source=Opt_Homepage_Var_1&utm_medium=Ad_Clicks&utm_campaign=Phase_2

Edited by Rooster
  • Thanks 1

bastonjock
Posted
Posted

you might get a knock on the door from the cops if you buy a large quantity ,isopropyl is used in the manufacture of illegal drugs

KurtVD
Posted
Posted

I don’t know about here, but in Europe you can get cheap (like 20$) pumps designed to drain fuel tanks. So why not drive until it’s almost empty and drain the last 5 or 10 liters with said pump? 

Also, in order to prevent, or at least slow down accumulation of water, fill the car up more oftentimes, like when it’s still half full, should help.  If there’s less air in the tank, there’s going to be less condensation. 

• Like 2

Jake
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, KurtVD said:

I don’t know about here, but in Europe you can get cheap (like 20$) pumps designed to drain fuel tanks. So why not drive until it’s almost empty and drain the last 5 or 10 liters with said pump? 

Also, in order to prevent, or at least slow down accumulation of water, fill the car up more oftentimes, like when it’s still half full, should help.  If there’s less air in the tank, there’s going to be less condensation. 

Right on Kurt!  Triple LIKE!  

Rooster
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, KurtVD said:

The quality/standards of ensuring quality gasoline in Europe is not likely the same as here. 

I personally try to keep a full tank always, not necessarily for water condensation concerns but to keep the fuel pump cool, especially with the high temperatures here. 

The gasoline acts like a coolant for the electric fuel-pump motor, so when you run very low, this allows the pump to suck in air, which creates heat and can cause the fuel pump to wear prematurely and potentially fail.

https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2011/05/running-on-empty-low-gas-in-the-tank-can-be-costly/index.htm

My experience with water in the gas has not been due to condensation but almost immediately after I refilled the gas. 15 minutes later, very poor idling so it would not be practical for me to continuously drain the tank, then refill with garbage gas again. I also keep some bottles of STP fuel treatment and it also helps to bring back the idle after 15 minutes or so of adding to the tank.

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Rooster said:

I also keep some bottles of STP fuel treatment and it also helps to bring back the idle after 15 minutes or so of adding to the tank.

I find it worth the cost.  A 12 oz bottle costs me 200 pesos and I use about 4 oz per fillup and that seems to do the trick.

OR, if I am in Cebu I use the 100 Octane gas they offer at Petron.  I thought it was the higher octane helping my engine, but on second thought, it is likely just cleaner, newer storage tanks, and fuel that is free of water being sold as 100 Octane.

Rooster
Posted
Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I find it worth the cost.  A 12 oz bottle costs me 200 pesos and I use about 4 oz per fillup and that seems to do the trick.

OR, if I am in Cebu I use the 100 Octane gas they offer at Petron.  I thought it was the higher octane helping my engine, but on second thought, it is likely just cleaner, newer storage tanks, and fuel that is free of water being sold as 100 Octane.

Ace Hardwares in SM usually have 2 STP products, but none specifically sold to remove water. I buy a few of the red bottles (engineered to remove water).

https://www.lazada.com.ph/products/stp-gas-treatment-525-fl-oz-i131180795-s141478956.html?spm=a2o4l.searchlist.list.17.14cd492c2F6lSi&search=1

Amazing, I've been looking for STP water remover and just found it's available on Lazada. I'm going to order a few bottles. :cheersty:

https://www.lazada.com.ph/products/stp-all-season-water-remover-525-fl-oz-i128211844-s138201641.html?spm=a2o4l.searchlist.list.23.14cd492cunjnli&search=1

wr.JPG

Edited by Rooster
  • Like 2

KurtVD
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Rooster said:

personally try to keep a full tank always, not necessarily for water condensation concerns but to keep the fuel pump cool, especially with the high temperatures here. 

The gasoline acts like a coolant for the electric fuel-pump motor, so when you run very low, this allows the pump to suck in air, which creates heat and can cause the fuel pump to wear prematurely and potentially fail.

I could be wrong, but you’d have to run extremely low on fuel for that to happen, like considerably below the last quarter on the fuel gauge. And if it’s a diesel, even a little air in the fuel lines will have to be bled out, or else the car won’t be running right (or not at all), so that’s very unlikely to happen unless the fuel light has come on and you kept on driving until it started stuttering or the engine died. 

Rooster
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, KurtVD said:

I could be wrong, but you’d have to run extremely low on fuel for that to happen, like considerably below the last quarter on the fuel gauge. And if it’s a diesel, even a little air in the fuel lines will have to be bled out, or else the car won’t be running right (or not at all), so that’s very unlikely to happen unless the fuel light has come on and you kept on driving until it started stuttering or the engine died. 

Perhaps for where you live in cool climate Switzerland.

Here, the roads retain the heat & get so hot that one could virtually fry an egg on them. Gas tanks/fuel pumps are effected by  the close proximity to the high temperature roads. Most fuel pumps sit high in the tank vertically so in very hot tropical environments, the entire unit should be kept covered in gasoline to prevent degradation of material. The attached picture is a replacement for my SUV and it's almost 12" high so for me, I choose to try to keep the tank at least 3/4 full.  

dd.JPG

• Like 1