Solution for Water in Gas Tank

KurtVD
Posted
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Rooster said:

the entire unit should be kept covered in gasoline to prevent degradation of material.

Ok, I grant you that, but that’s different from what was stated in the previous post, eg that air could be sucked in, and that’s just not possible unless the tank is almost empty. The pump may be up there (in some cars), but the pick up (where the pump actually sucks the fuel in) is very close to the bottom of the tank, otherwise you wouldn’t be able to drive until the tank is empty. Your engine would start stuttering as soon as the fuel level was below the pump, and that’s not the case, as we all know. However, it’s good practice to keep the tank below half level for condensation reasons, so we kind of agree anyway:)

Edit: above half level , of course

Edited by KurtVD
  • Like 1

Jake
Posted
Posted

Interesting conversation guys which peaked my curiosity about the gas pump/filter assembly and the tank itself.  My own personal headache, although I don't mind getting my nails greasy, was removal and replacement of not one but two gas pump/filter units of a 1999 Honda Account EX.  Yeah, twice my son ran it dry and overheated the pump.  Fortunately, I was able to gain access from the trunk.  

I looked closely at the filter bag (tea bag shape) and it didn't have signs of any solid particles, like tiny pebbles of dirt.  My question to you folks.....I wonder if all the liquid fuels, including aviation gas is subject to leaky storage tanks and gets contaminated more.  We have already discussed water contamination.  Do you guys see any strict quality control that are enforced through periodic inspections?  

How often do you guys have to clean out your injectors of fuel injection engines?  

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, Jake said:

How often do you guys have to clean out your injectors of fuel injection engines?  

Suzuki do mine every 5000 km or 6 moths which is why I always go to the main dealer, as to water in the tank they tell me that as long as the correct fuel is used there should be no Problem and again they say always keep at least 1/2 a tank of Fuel, The Aviation bit can be hit and miss but the Filters are changed (or should be) each  Load & routine check But........... Air Force wise it is strictly observed, Those Fuel Pumps are heavyweight and force feed like nobody's business but not much problem with Water in the Fuel and it does not stay in there very long, Thirsty gals them Aero things :smile:

• Like 2

Rooster
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Jake said:

Interesting conversation guys which peaked my curiosity about the gas pump/filter assembly and the tank itself.  My own personal headache, although I don't mind getting my nails greasy, was removal and replacement of not one but two gas pump/filter units of a 1999 Honda Account EX.  Yeah, twice my son ran it dry and overheated the pump.  Fortunately, I was able to gain access from the trunk.  

I looked closely at the filter bag (tea bag shape) and it didn't have signs of any solid particles, like tiny pebbles of dirt.  My question to you folks.....I wonder if all the liquid fuels, including aviation gas is subject to leaky storage tanks and gets contaminated more.  We have already discussed water contamination.  Do you guys see any strict quality control that are enforced through periodic inspections?  

SEOIL https://www.seaoil.com.ph/ Is the only Gosoline Company who I have heard advertise in the media: When it comes to taking care of your car, you can trust #SEAOILfuel that’s tested at least 3x daily for quality, powered with STP additives and imported from advanced refineries abroad.

I usually use RAPIDE to change the fuel filter annually, sometime semi-annually. RAPIDE also used to clean my throttle body at the same time but last time I was there they said they will no longer clean it because of some tech order about the coating will get destroyed and it could snap close on their fingers. I read articles on the coating and to use electronic cleaner versus throttle body cleaner. Dealer quoted 3,500 to clean the throttle body.

KurtVD
Posted
Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, Jake said:

To avoid having to do this job, I would install a second, transparent fuel filter in engine bay, they only cost a few $$. To install it, you just need to cut the fuel line and insert the filter in between (careful about the way it should flow!). It gives you peace of mind because it’s transparent, eg you can have a look at how dirty it is at any time, and swap it for a new if needed. 

When end it comes to aviation, there’s a difference between piston and jet engines: jet engines are of a much simpler design than piston engines (the combustion part), and they could be run on almost anything that burns (gasoline, diesel, kerosene). Basically the fuel is injected continuously into a combustion chamber, and after the start up cycle, there’s no need for an external ignition, the combustion is self sustained. So I’m not sure if the requirements for purity are all that high, unless we’re talking about propeller driven planes, like Cessnas and Mooneys, with ‘normal’ piston engines. But obviously, we’re talking very expensive equipment, which is also be safety relevant, so of course airlines and the airforce will change/clean these filters probably more often than needed  

Fuel filter:

47775E66-9001-481A-BCD8-95DED9CF85E0.png

Edited by KurtVD
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
Rooster
Posted
Posted
On ‎6‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 1:02 AM, Jake said:

By the way, I've been using Sea Foam here in the states.  It seems to clean out my injectors.  It smooths out the idle but I did not see any significant improvement on gas mileage.  

This video explains how Sea Foam was designed for 2 stroke boat engines and todays cleaners should have PEA.

I received 2 bottles of Gumout with PEA and 2 bottles of STP Water remover via Lazada from a supplier in Manila last week. Fast Delivery. The Gumout Can is Identical Metal Can to The Sea Foam Can. I'm noticing improved idling results already.

Gumout with PEA

https://www.lazada.com.ph/products/gumout-multi-system-tune-up-16-fl-oz-i100078729-s100098281.html?spm=a2o4l.searchlist.list.1.51564f85gQ57jO&search=1

STP Water Remover

https://www.lazada.com.ph/products/stp-all-season-water-remover-525-fl-oz-i128211844-s138201641.html?spm=a2o4l.searchlist.list.25.14871abeUf4NDk&search=1

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Rooster said:

Gumout with PEA

I think that is a nice demonstration on the video.  For the price of 3 cans of the stuff through Lazada it is well worth giving it a try.  Thanks for the tip.

Rooster
Posted
Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I think that is a nice demonstration on the video.  For the price of 3 cans of the stuff through Lazada it is well worth giving it a try.  Thanks for the tip.

I also put 1 ounce in about 1 gallon of gas in the motorcycle tank, let it idle for 10 minutes then revved up the throttle and black smoke came out of the exhaust. Also put a half ounce in the lawn mower but waiting for when the grass need cut to see the results. 

The Borescope he mentions; inexpensive versions using one's smart phone as the display are also available on Lazada.

https://www.lazada.com.ph/catalog/?spm=a2o4l.searchlist.search.1.3ee271ffNEvyp2&q=endoscope camera&_keyori=ss&from=suggest_normal&sugg=endoscope camera_0_1  

Edited by Rooster

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
58 minutes ago, Rooster said:

I also put 1 ounce in about 1 gallon of gas in the motorcycle tank

I can see it being useful in an old car, but in a brand new motorcycle?  I cannot see the point at this time.

Anyway, I ordered 3 cans from Lazada and will follow the recommendations from that fellow in the video to go through 3 tanks of fuel and see if I notice any results.  Cost me just under 1,500 pesos including delivery and even a cheapskate like me can afford that.

Now I am wondering about the fuel I will use and the amount I will add.  I have approximately 10 gallons capacity in the fuel tank so I think I should use 10 ounces of Gumout with each full tank.  I wonder if more is better.  I also wonder if I should switch back to 91 octane (cheaper) or keep using 95 octane.  I ask because the higher octane makes my old car run smoother but if this Gumout is cleaning out the engine then it should run well on regular gas.  What do you think?  Also, I wonder what the high numbers mean in Philippines.  I would run my car on 89 Octane back in the 90's in Canada and it was fine.  Are the octane numbers inflated beyond real value here?

• Hmm thinking 1

Rooster
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I can see it being useful in an old car, but in a brand new motorcycle?  I cannot see the point at this time.

Anyway, I ordered 3 cans from Lazada and will follow the recommendations from that fellow in the video to go through 3 tanks of fuel and see if I notice any results.  Cost me just under 1,500 pesos including delivery and even a cheapskate like me can afford that.

Now I am wondering about the fuel I will use and the amount I will add.  I have approximately 10 gallons capacity in the fuel tank so I think I should use 10 ounces of Gumout with each full tank.  I wonder if more is better.  I also wonder if I should switch back to 91 octane (cheaper) or keep using 95 octane.  I ask because the higher octane makes my old car run smoother but if this Gumout is cleaning out the engine then it should run well on regular gas.  What do you think?  Also, I wonder what the high numbers mean in Philippines.  I would run my car on 89 Octane back in the 90's in Canada and it was fine.  Are the octane numbers inflated beyond real value here?

Good question if Octane rating is inflated as well as do we actually get the exact amount of liters the pump charges us for. I experienced many times getting gas from Shell from different locations. Some are ok, some within 10 minutes, rough idling in a slow traffic situation.   

I always use Shell 91 Octane in the SUV if i'm driving on flat (topical) surfaces, around town, to Angeles City, Manila & other locations. When we drive up to Baguio I use Shell 97 octane. Plus the wife get points on her SM Prestige Card when I use Shell.

I just looked on the can but it's better to see the inf. here. https://gumout.com/multi-system-tune-up/