Uber-less Manila

bows00
Posted
Posted

After spending some time in Bonifacio Global City, I finally realized that Uber no longer works in the Philippines.  It has been replaced by the Grab application.  I found this out as I was trying to catch a ride back to the Manila Airport.  

One good tip if your flying to or from Manila - plan your flights on Sundays.  Traffic is 10 times better when people are off and attending church.  To give you an example, I landed on a Friday afternoon, and it took me nearly 1.5 hours to travel 6 miles to the Grand Hyatt in BGC (metered taxi was 380P).  Conversely, the ride back to the airport on Sunday took only 15 minutes (Grab fare was 162P).  

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
6 minutes ago, bows00 said:

I finally realized that Uber no longer works in the Philippines.

:smile: You dont read the forum or news much do you. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

Last year all ride sharing companies were asked by the PI government to suspend operations for a few weeks whilst related legislation was finalised.  All of them but one complied.  Guess who didn't?  Uber.  They copped at least a 12 month ban from memory so they should be up and running in PI again by about November.  

I found Grab a little odd, particularly in Cebu; the app basically ordered a taxi for you.  When the Short Angry One and I were in Cebu, every time we ordered a Grab, a taxi would show up and meter us on the taxi meter.  

• Like 1

bows00
Posted
Posted
14 minutes ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

You dont read the forum or news much do you. 

Yeah your right.  Recently retired for 6 months now, and my brain is turned off.  I'll be brain dead within a year if I don't find something to do...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
19 minutes ago, BrettGC said:

They copped at least a 12 month ban from memory so they should be up and running in PI again by about November.  

No, they pulled out of the Philippines and sold to Grab. 

• Like 1

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

No, they pulled out of the Philippines and sold to Grab. 

Ah ok.  Just did some quick reading, they were only banned for a month then spat the dummy it seems and did as you stated.  

The disrupters were disrupted. 

• Like 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
15 minutes ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

they pulled out of the Philippines

If memory serves, they did not like all the regulations that the Gov was trying to implement on them

robert k
Posted
Posted

Personally, I think Uber made out like a bandit if they got a 27% stake in Grab in a market where Uber was failing anyway. Not to mention that Grab is a defacto Monopoly.

oldutot
Posted
Posted

A metered taxi, I thought grab was an app.

that gave you a upfront ride price.

• Like 1