Gold (jewelry)

KurtVD
Posted
Posted

Do any of you guys know anything about jewelry made out of gold, sold here in the Philippines? Are the prices any different than in the West, let’s say for a relatively simple piece like an earring, that doesn’t need hours and hours of labours? And where should one buy it, if he has no experience in the matter, to avoid getting scammed? I know that in Thailand and Vietnam, there are Goldshops everywhere, but I don’t know if they are all equally trustworthy, and if they have different prices at all, since the price of gold is a bit like currency, eg it’s negotiated on the international markets.  

Complete newbie here, thankful for any input whatsoever. 

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

"Caveat Emptor" or "Buyer Beware" so the only advise is to purchase something that is not too expensive. Don't think of buying jewelry as an investment. The retail markup is very high. Jewelry is a lifestyle -- as a gift to someone you like or love.

• Like 2

Rooster
Posted
Posted

Asawa & I were in Bangkok last year. I bought her a Thai Baht necklace, the links kept breaking, her hair was getting stuck in the links so she traded it for a nicer gold necklace at a pawn shop in town. So far so good so try some pawn shops.

Have you ever been to Binondo/China Town in Manila? Many gold stores there. This one is pretty famous with celebrities.

As always. Buyer Beware.

Gary D
Posted
Posted

Gold in the Philippines is more portable weaith than a fashion statement. It's price is ususlly by weight per grade.

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Gary D said:

Gold in the Philippines is more portable weaith than a fashion statement.

Yes but there is gold and there is GOLD  I tend to think this is what the OP was asking

Rooster
Posted
Posted
11 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

Yes but there is gold and there is GOLD  I tend to think this is what the OP was asking

https://www.wikihow.com/Tell-if-Gold-Is-Real

Many Videos and Articles on the subject. 

Howard
Posted
Posted

I would avoid buying gold here! Too many scammers. I once tried to see a gold necklace that I had bought in the states. I had a receipt from a reputable jewelry store saying the price I paid, and what karat/weight it was. The necklace also had a tab at the clasp with 14K on it but the guy insisted that when he rubbed it on some rock(magical in some way I'm convinced) that it was only 10K. I laughed and walked away. Gold jewelry is nice but it's really not a good investment because when you sell it you only get scrap prices for it. but it's nice in case of an emergency due to the pawn value.

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

When we got married we could not find what we wanted in Rings so we chose a design from a Booklet at the jewelers and gave all the rubbish stuff ( old Gold things)to the jeweler and asked if he could add what was needed, To our surprise he was honest and showed us the different smelts, he took out the best and added to make the 2 rings, the rest he made into earrings for her. I have to admit that after hearing about Gold scams here we had indeed found a good jeweler. To the OP there are some about, This one was in Dumaguete where we live and has been in business over 25 years so I think that says something. Buyer beware for sure but listen to them and it does not go down too well when you try and come across as an expert, Like many of us here there are a  few that do know what is what :wink: I am NO expert but I can tell that these Rings are Good and after 10+ years Look as good as new when clean :huh:

KurtVD
Posted
Posted

Thanks for all your answers, that’s enough information for me to not buy it here. I need something that will be used as a piercing, and it must be gold to avoid any kind of allergic reaction. But since it’s going to be a small piece and quite light (weight wise), and not really a complex design either, the potential savings are probably gonna be quite small as well. Although I’ve never bought something like it before, I haven’t the slightest ideas how much it’s going to cost (50$? 500$). Either way, I’ll be back in Switzerland this summer, and I know I’m not gonna get scammed there (or if so, there are ways to get restitution), so that is the way to go, I guess. 

• Like 1