Return ticket

RobH
Posted
Posted

Hi all, new member here. I am going to retire to the Philippines this coming August. My wife is a Fillipina, and I intent to get a SRRV when I get there,

my wife will be travelling with me when we leave the UK, so I will get a BB Visa, Question is do I need a throw away ticket when I arrive ?

Regards Rob

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
33 minutes ago, RobH said:

Hi all, new member here. I am going to retire to the Philippines this coming August. My wife is a Fillipina, and I intent to get a SRRV when I get there,

my wife will be travelling with me when we leave the UK, so I will get a BB Visa, Question is do I need a throw away ticket when I arrive ?

Regards Rob

Welcome to the forum

Despite that some will say yes the answer is no as long as your airline understands the policies. As the BI says, you are considered as a returning Filipino by marriage and only tourist require on onward ticket. Print out the screenshot and ask to see an airline supervisor if you have a problem or alternatively get a cheap ticket to anywhere if you are worried about it. :thumbsup:

no return required.jpg

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
39 minutes ago, RobH said:

Question is do I need a throw away ticket when I arrive

Do you need one?  No, I don't think so, not if you are getting a BB stamp.  Should you have one?  I was gonna write a long reply but basically its what JGF just wrote so:  Its up to you.

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

As jgf says if you are worried get  ticket.Air Asia does some really cheap ones the best one I found ( a few years ago) was from Clark to somewhere in Malaysia.About 10 UK pounds.

• Like 1

RobH
Posted
Posted

Thanks very much guys. We will be flying Phil Air the wife likes the food and  to get there as quick as possible.

Best regards Rob

• Like 1

Gary D
Posted
Posted

In theory no but until you pass immigration you don't have a bb waiver.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
12 minutes ago, Gary D said:

In theory no but until you pass immigration you don't have a bb waiver.

Does not matter as the BI explained, you are considered as a returning Filipino by marriage so as a Filipino you do not need an onward ticket. 

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
20 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Despite that some will say yes the answer is no as long as your airline understands the policies.

That is the million dollar wager right there

• Like 2

Gerald Glatt
Posted
Posted

Your airline your $$$ Philippine BI will not check any thing but marriage cert. if that.  Your discussion will be with your airline at the time of ticket purchase as they are liable.

• Like 1

KC813
Posted
Posted
On 7/3/2018 at 8:30 AM, Jollygoodfellow said:

Despite that some will say yes the answer is no as long as your airline understands the policies.

On 7/4/2018 at 4:57 AM, scott h said:

That is the million dollar wager right there

All correct answers here, but as GG says, " Your discussion will be with your airline at the time of ticket purchase as they are liable".

If denied entry, the airline is fined and are responsible to remove the passenger from the country, so airlines often are very strict when looking at your documents before allowing you to travel.

So... look at what the gate/counter agent might be looking at when you arrive for your flight.  Most airlines I know of use the Timatic database to determine document requirements.  (The quotes below come from the interface on the Skyteam website.  Also available thru OneWorld.)

For a one-way flight to Ph, this:

• Visa is not required for Philippines. Maximum stay of 30 days.
  • Passengers not holding onward/return tickets or other acceptable evidence of onward/return travel may be refused entry.

This does not apply to passengers with Balikbayan status, who are classed as former citizens of the Philippines, or passengers holding either a “Special non-immigrant Visa” or an ACR I-Card (alien certificate of registration) with permanent status issued by the Philippines, or passengers holding an APEC Business Travel Card endorsed "Valid for travel to the Philippines".

Note that this does not explain how Balikbayan status can be used by a spouse.  BUT- for a round-trip flight (with over 30-day stay), there is a better explanation:

Visa is not required for passengers holding proof that they are former nationals of the Philippines (also referred to as "Balikbayan" status). Evidence of this can include a birth certificate issued by the Philippines, foreign naturalization papers showing former Filipino nationality, or a previous passport issued by the Philippines. Foreign passports showing place of birth as in the Philippines will not necessarily be accepted as proof. Maximum stay of 1 year.  Passengers with "Balikbayan" status are required to hold a passport valid upon arrival. The visa exemption also applies to the children and spouse of the former national, provided they are travelling together with them.

So, everybody is right.  As long as you have an agent (or a supervisor) that can dig into this info, and you have all the required documents, you do not need a throwaway.  And since you say you are flying PAL, I'd say you have no worries at all!