The weather, shoul i be worried

stevewool
Posted
Posted

Here in England its hot and sticky and no air and its bloody hot, and yes all i would like is a shower of rain to wash all the pollen and dust away so it may feel a little fresher .

So should i be worried if the Philippines is to become my future home, you hear people say its a different sort of heat when you are in different countries its not like England where we are not use to too much rain, too much heat and i may as well throw in "too many leaves on the train tracks", but that another subject.

So you expats who have come from these fair shores or places that dont get to much heat, is it something now you dont notice or its a case of you never get use to the weather.

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, stevewool said:

England where we are not use to too much rain, too much heat and i may as well throw in "too many leaves on the train tracks", but that another subject.

So you expats who have come from these fair shores or places that dont get to much heat, is it something now you dont notice or its a case of you never get use to the weather.

I'm from Australia, the last time I was in the UK the locals were complaining (a lot) about the heat wave and the hot sticky weather.

All I could think at the time was? what?  It's finally nice and warm...

IMO the Philippines makes northern Australia seem cool :)

err... does that help? :56da64b51da2f_36_1_681:

• Like 2

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

I am from Texas. I did aircon work for 25 years, so was up on roofs and in attics all the time, so I am used to heat.  The PIs is HOT! ha ha.   It took a long time for me to get used to the oppressive humidity here.  But I know a couple Brits here that are not fazed by the weather at all... go figure.

• Like 2

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

I live in Cairns, Australia, in the tropical North.  The summers here are similar to say somewhere like Dumaguete - Mid-30's C, 80-90% humidity, not much below 25-27 at night.  Thankfully our winters (such as they are) are much milder than Phils, down to 15-19 at night with maximums of 27-29C during the day with negligible humidity so we do have a couple of months relief, unlike Phils where the "winter" is only marginally cooler than the summer.  

I grew up around country NSW where it was normal for the winter temp range to be -3 - -5 up to 9-10 during the day but the summers were in the low 30's sometimes spiking to 40ish C, but that was a dry heat so a different kettle of fish altogether. 

Phils in the months surrounding Christmas is ok, it's from April to September that knocks me around a bit but I do get acclimatized over time.  I think most people do.  

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, stevewool said:

So should i be worried if the Philippines is to become my future home

Yes.  According to Al Gore (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/An_Inconvenient_Truth) the world will continue to get hotter until we all burn to a crisp so staying in a cooler climate is wise.

hk blues
Posted
Posted

It's down to getting accustomed to it and personal tolerance perhaps. Some people in the UK grab every chance they can to enjoy the sun whilst others stay indoors to avoid. So, if you're one of the former, you'll be fine. If you're one of the latter, perhaps less so.

JDDavao II
Posted
Posted

I was born and lived for over 30 years in the Northeast, USA and then lived for almost 20 years in Seattle.

The Northeast has 4 seasons. The summers are often 90/90 (degrees/humidity) for weeks at a time. I lived through it with just window fans and without AC.

Seattle has two seasons: suicide (perpetually dark, overcast and chilly, with some form of rain) and sunshine (clear blue sky,  extremely dry air, upper 90s in temp sometimes, stays light until 9 PM). My first girlfriend there had a window AC which I thought was very funny.

The heat here is oppressive. I cope here with my secret weapon: Camel fans. They're locally made and about half again as strong as any other brand we've had.

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

I dont find much of a problem with heat here in Cebu. Maybe it's hotter in other parts?  I avoid being out in the hottest part of the day and also enjoy being out late at night or early mornings as its nice. Just adjust your lifestyle to miss the worst heat. Choose your living conditions to which keeps you cool enough. 

Oh, I thought the UK had lots of rain? 

• Like 2

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

I live in Puerto Galera and my partner is from Moalboal South of Cebu. She says it's hotter here. The humidity for me is the killer. I sweat like crazy some days sitting around but can walk in the heat of the sun quite easily. Not bad for someone who was blessed to be Scottish. :whistling:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

bows00
Posted
Posted

I can sweat like a pig, air dry the shirt and re-wear it at least one more time before it has to be laundered.  I'm lucky I don't have pungent body odor.

As hot as it is, I like to take advantage of the humidity by taking long walks to sweat out the Red Horse. 

I don't deserve to be having this much fun.  

• Like 3