USS Mustin in Subic

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

They rescued a Filipino fishing boat a few days ago and it was in the news.

20180711_145523.jpg

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted (edited)

US officials told that US Navy destroyer USS Mustin carried out a "freedom of navigation" operation.
The destroyer came with 12 nautical miles of an artificial island built by China in the South China Sea.

The officials disclosed that USS Mustin traveled very close to Mischief Reef in the Spratly Islands.  Several maneuvering operations were carried out.

China has major territorial disputes with its neighbors over the area. 
China's claims most of the South China Sea. The claim is contested by Brunei, Malaysia, the Philippines, Taiwan and Vietnam. 

The video makes this look like a fantastic weapon, but it is still operated by "Millenials".  Hmmm let's think on that for a minute and remember the recent accidents.

Edited by Dave Hounddriver
  • Like 2

Rooster
Posted
Posted (edited)

USNS MILLINOCKET arrived in La Union as well.

https://news.mb.com.ph/2018/07/09/joint-naval-exercise-between-ph-us-navies-formally-starts/

USNS MILLINOCKET – A US Navy ship Millinocket (T-EPF-3) was docked at Poro Point Pier in San Fernando City, La Union Monday (July 9, 2018) to hold Philippine Navy and United States Navy its second iteration maritime training activity “Sama-sama”. (ERWIN BELEO/MANILA BULLETIN)

The ceremony was graced by Armed Forces of the Philippines-Northern Luzon Command (AFP-NoLCom) chief Lt. Gen. Emmanuel B. Salamat as the guest of honor and speaker,

Joining Salamat in the activity is Commodore Nichols A. Driz, Naval Forces-Northern Luzon commander; United States Rear Adm. Murray Joe Tynch II, commander of the Logistics Group Western Pacific, Task Force 73, Singapore area coordinator and Japanese Navy Captain Masahiro Goto, the Maritime Operations and Plan, Department Operations Support Division chief of Planning Section.

The exercise, dubbed as Maritime Training Activity (MTA) “Sama-Sama”, will last until July 16, 2018. It involves sailors and marines from NF-NL, PN, Task Force of the US Navy’s 7th Fleet and the Japan Maritime Self-Defense Force, as observer.

The exercise will be conducted in the area of Northern Luzon Command within the provinces of La Union (particularly at Headquarters Naval Forces – Northern Luzon (NF-NL) in Naval Station Ernesto Ogbinar, San Fernando City, in Zambales, including Cavite.

“This training provides us with an exceptional opportunity for both Philippine and US Navies to engage in a broader range of maritime operations and unique scenarios in our maritime areas,” Salamat said.

“In this way, we could explore for more cooperation, enhance our interoperability, and provide us effective mechanisms for collaboration and partnership of our Navies in the spirit of our mutual treaty engagement,” he added

Salamat said NoLCom naval forces, through the Naval Forces – Northern Luzon, will continue to participate in International Defense and Security Engagements (IDSE) to ensure its operational readiness and interoperability to maintain peace, security and stability in the region.

100718_usns-millinochet_04_la-union_erwin-beleo-copy.jpg

Edited by Rooster
  • Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

The video makes this look like a fantastic weapon, but it is still operated by "Millenials".  Hmmm let's think on that for a minute and remember the recent accidents.

It doesn't look heavily armed to the naked eye but as the video shows, it has a lot of firepower on board!

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Rooster said:

We had one of those fast transports docked here last week but I didn't get the name because it was dock area not open to the public.  It might have been the same one.  A lot of marines had some shore leave here last week.

Huggybearman
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Rooster said:

https://news.mb.com.ph/2018/07/09/joint-naval-exercise-between-ph-us-navies-formally-starts/

USNS MILLINOCKET – A US Navy ship Millinocket (T-EPF-3) was docked at Poro Point Pier in San Fernando City, La Union Monday (July 9, 2018).

100718_usns-millinochet_04_la-union_erwin-beleo-copy.jpg

I am sorry guys, but that has got to the ugliest vessel I have ever seen! Just what were the designers thinking? Clearly designed by a large committee, none of which had access to the overall design brief! 

I have always thought the US Navy have designed some beautiful looking ships, but this one............

Ken

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Huggybearman said:

I am sorry guys, but that has got to the ugliest vessel I have ever seen! Just what were the designers thinking? Clearly designed by a large committee, none of which had access to the overall design brief! 

I have always thought the US Navy have designed some beautiful looking ships, but this one............

Ken

They are ugly, especially from a side view, but they a super fast catamaran design and very interesting.  Here is a video about it.  They don't paint the aluminum to save weight.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, Huggybearman said:

I have always thought the US Navy have designed some beautiful looking ships, but this one...........

On the other hand "bad ass" beats "beauty" if you have to go in harm's way.  :thumbsup:

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Mike J said:

On the other hand "bad ass" beats "beauty" if you have to go in harm's way.  :thumbsup:

They are using one of the sister ships for rail gun testing...

• Like 3