good mail forwarding service from US??

hk blues
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, dj3642 said:

hi all.. no we wont be having a busienss right away.. but.. from what i understand. you STILL need to file a US TAX form i guess to let the IRS know you are still there. i am retired as well. we will be living mainly off savings... and hope to eventually start some sort of busienss. .. i dont know the requierments for expats in philippines that we need to do tax for liek the US or not. as i said this is all new to me.  i know sometjhing about .. i think its called FEIE?? but not a lot where you can make up to a certain amount of money before it being taxed.. 

As far as I know expats are only required to file taxes in the Philippines if they have income in the Philippines. For certain, foreigners are not taxed on their income in their home country here in the Philippines. I didn't pay anything for the first 2 years then had to start paying when I started working as an online teacher - the first 250,000php is not taxed.

dj3642
Posted
Posted
21 hours ago, hk blues said:

As far as I know expats are only required to file taxes in the Philippines if they have income in the Philippines. For certain, foreigners are not taxed on their income in their home country here in the Philippines. I didn't pay anything for the first 2 years then had to start paying when I started working as an online teacher - the first 250,000php is not taxed.

ok thank you :)

dj3642
Posted
Posted
On 7/17/2018 at 12:13 PM, earthdome said:

Will you have a business located in the Philippines? Do you have a filipina wife who will earn income? Otherwise, why would you need to be concerned about this?

well as i said. i had been reading books and i know about the FEIE.. i think thats what its called the exception on how much money you can make etc.. also in the books i have read. it says to try to find those attorneys to discuss possible tax issues. i wont have a business there.. but i am just trying to cover all bases and not wait till i get to the philippines and then find out i missed something. 

Ryan.
Posted
Posted

U.S Global Mail! Very positive experience for years, and you get a real person if you ever have to call. 

No matter who you use if you get U.S.P.S mail you will need to fill out PS form #1583. Application of Mail Though Agent.

Extremely good idea to take care of that in the States. Degree of difficulty and cost is reduced drasticaly due to notary requirement.

My cost is $10 a month if anyone wants a referral link we each get a free month and I would donate my free month to the site. I don’t care about the $10, just trying to do some good. Just let me know.

Anybody with an existing account that you may know better then me can also to this for you.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
On 7/19/2018 at 7:14 PM, dj3642 said:

well as i said. i had been reading books and i know about the FEIE.. i think thats what its called the exception on how much money you can make etc.. also in the books i have read. it says to try to find those attorneys to discuss possible tax issues. i wont have a business there.. but i am just trying to cover all bases and not wait till i get to the philippines and then find out i missed something. 

I am not a tax professional so consult one as needed.....

FEIE only applies if you have a job in the Philippines.  If you open a business and make money, that is not "earned" income, and is treated differently on your U.S. taxes.

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/foreign-earned-income-exclusion-what-is-foreign-earned-income

I don't have "earned" income.  I also live off of savings and investments until my SS kicks in later this year.  I pay U.S. taxes on any investment earnings and I also include the interest earnings on my bank accounts in the Philippines.  It is not much but I like to do my taxes honestly, and my U.S. CPA says it is taxable income.

If you are living off of savings, then you likely have a low income and may not have to pay any taxes.  If you are married filing jointly, the tax rate is 0 on the first $19,050 of income.  It is a good idea to prepare your taxes each year even if your income is low.  You might qualify for a credit of some kind and get money back.  The IRS does not require you to file taxes unless your income is over a certain amount.

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/deciding-whether-and-how-to-file-heres-what-to-remember

dj3642
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

I am not a tax professional so consult one as needed.....

FEIE only applies if you have a job in the Philippines.  If you open a business and make money, that is not "earned" income, and is treated differently on your U.S. taxes.

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/foreign-earned-income-exclusion-what-is-foreign-earned-income

I don't have "earned" income.  I also live off of savings and investments until my SS kicks in later this year.  I pay U.S. taxes on any investment earnings and I also include the interest earnings on my bank accounts in the Philippines.  It is not much but I like to do my taxes honestly, and my U.S. CPA says it is taxable income.

If you are living off of savings, then you likely have a low income and may not have to pay any taxes.  If you are married filing jointly, the tax rate is 0 on the first $19,050 of income.  It is a good idea to prepare your taxes each year even if your income is low.  You might qualify for a credit of some kind and get money back.  The IRS does not require you to file taxes unless your income is over a certain amount.

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/deciding-whether-and-how-to-file-heres-what-to-remember

thanks so much for the info .. its very helpful : )

dj3642
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Ryan. said:

U.S Global Mail! Very positive experience for years, and you get a real person if you ever have to call. 

No matter who you use if you get U.S.P.S mail you will need to fill out PS form #1583. Application of Mail Though Agent.

Extremely good idea to take care of that in the States. Degree of difficulty and cost is reduced drasticaly due to notary requirement.

My cost is $10 a month if anyone wants a referral link we each get a free month and I would donate my free month to the site. I don’t care about the $10, just trying to do some good. Just let me know.

Anybody with an existing account that you may know better then me can also to this for you.

thanks Ryan.. i will let you know but i am pretty sure i will go with them : )

• 2 months later...
Medic Mike
Posted
Posted

Hey guys, I have a similar question. With my pending exodus from Darwin to Cebu :), what have the Australians been doing about mail from Oz? Some things I will get via email etc...but I am thinking about correspondence from medicare, Australian pension, licencing, etc...and others I have forgotten.

I do have a PO Box in Cebu, but the Darwin PO says they can't forward to Cebu.....hmmmm

What have the Aussies been doing?

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Medic Mike said:

What have the Aussies been doing?

Nothing

Everything is Email or online. I am not on a pension but I think everything like that and medicare go through Mygov website now so you just set up online. You can renew a drivers license online but perhaps need to change your address to a friends for him to send to you.

Medic Mike
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Nothing

Everything is Email or online. I am not on a pension but I think everything like that and medicare go through Mygov website now so you just set up online. You can renew a drivers license online but perhaps need to change your address to a friends for him to send to you.

Yep I have quite a few things, like paramedic registrations, etc etc that come by mail. I guess I will have to find someone trustworthy to use as a pseudo address for stuff like this.