Why Cant I Get It?

cebuexpat
Posted
Posted

First off I will admit I am not a smart man. I did ok in high school, but was no where the top of my class. I quess you could just say average. All my life I have prided myslef on being a quick learner. I can watch someone take apart something and put it back together a few times, then I can do it myself.Taught myself about the internet, and marketing online, and using a computer. Do very well, Can read a set of blueprints for a multi million dollar building with no problem. All in all I have always been able to learn from watching, hearing, and gathering information.But I have to say after 8 years, I still can not get this language. You would think after hearing it so many times, the same phrases, the same terms, some of it would stick with you. I know alot of words, and some small phrases, but I really could not make a complete sentence at all....Has anyone else experienced this. I dont know why I can catch on to some of it. Even if I try and try by having someone teach me. I will practice and practice a certain phrase or sentence and think I have it... Later when I try to use it, just cant seem to remember, or get the words all jumbled up....I dont see myself living here the rest of my life and ever learning it.... How about anyone else???

TheMason
Posted
Posted

I'm the same way when it comes to Tagalog. I know what individual words mean, and I can put rudimentary sentences together but I'm not even close to fluent. When I listen to people speak the language, I cannot even tell where one word ends and another starts. Its complete gibberish to me. I've just accepted the fact that I'll always sound like a retarded 3-year-old when speaking Tagalog and will likely never be able to understand speech unless they speak very slowly and clearly. I don't worry about it any more. When I can't understand something that is said to me, I just tell myself they said 'gwapo ka' and go about my business.

Gold Heart
Posted
Posted (edited)
First off I will admit I am not a smart man. I did ok in high school, but was no where the top of my class. I quess you could just say average. All my life I have prided myslef on being a quick learner. I can watch someone take apart something and put it back together a few times, then I can do it myself.Taught myself about the internet, and marketing online, and using a computer. Do very well, Can read a set of blueprints for a multi million dollar building with no problem. All in all I have always been able to learn from watching, hearing, and gathering information.But I have to say after 8 years, I still can not get this language. You would think after hearing it so many times, the same phrases, the same terms, some of it would stick with you. I know alot of words, and some small phrases, but I really could not make a complete sentence at all....Has anyone else experienced this. I dont know why I can catch on to some of it. Even if I try and try by having someone teach me. I will practice and practice a certain phrase or sentence and think I have it... Later when I try to use it, just cant seem to remember, or get the words all jumbled up....I dont see myself living here the rest of my life and ever learning it.... How about anyone else???
I'm language impaired as a starting point. I recently enrolled in Speedtalk a local training program here in Cebu. I've been to about 5 private class lessons and it is slow for me.I have a deep appreciation for the the complexity of language here which is a hybrid. Imagine Visayans having to learn 3 different languages to deal with numbers. Visayan for counting, Spanish for commerce/ prices , and English for cell phones and computers. This applies to those who don't even know English.I have dedicated myself to learning but it may be a lifetime task. You are not alone! Edited by Gold Heart
  • Like 1

Demeter
Posted
Posted

Hi! Feel free to ask me. I joined this site to be able to help those who are having problems learning the language. You can also ask your partners to help you practice the language with them. I know it's not easy but if your partners have the patience to correct you when you make mistakes then, that's already an advantage.

Inspector
Posted
Posted
Hi! Feel free to ask me. I joined this site to be able to help those who are having problems learning the language. You can also ask your partners to help you practice the language with them. I know it's not easy but if your partners have the patience to correct you when you make mistakes then, that's already an advantage.
Do you teach Cebuano Demeter?

Demeter
Posted
Posted
Hi Inspector! Yes, I teach Cebuano but I am not here to promote my services. I am sick and just finished with my treatment. I have Irish students but I am not doing it everyday as I have to depend on my body's reaction to the treatment. I hope to be able to teach full time again when I get better. At the moment, I can only help you with your questions regarding the language through this site.
  • Like 1

Mik
Posted
Posted
...I dont see myself living here the rest of my life and ever learning it.... How about anyone else???
I've been here four and a half years now and I don't see myself even trying to learn the local language. English is sufficient in my case..

MikeB
Posted
Posted

I have no expectations of ever being close to fluent in any of the dialects but I would love (need!) to be able to understand what's being said around me - especially when it's about me! It's not a good feeling not knowing. Maybe next year when I'm living there and Demeter is fullly recovered.

Inspector
Posted
Posted
Hi Inspector! Yes, I teach Cebuano but I am not here to promote my services. I am sick and just finished with my treatment. I have Irish students but I am not doing it everyday as I have to depend on my body's reaction to the treatment. I hope to be able to teach full time again when I get better. At the moment, I can only help you with your questions regarding the language through this site.
I am sorry to hear about being sick. :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...
Art2ro
Posted
Posted (edited)

Learning any language is difficult to do! Jake and myself were born in the Philippines and in the same City of Olongapo, but grew up in California and just cities apart from one another since the age of 6 or 7. But for myself, I since then was able to pickup the basic Tagalog language over the years in my adult life where as Jake didn't, that's why he's so called himself "a Dollar speaking Pinoy", no pun intended Jake my SS buddy! Anyway, knowing the basic Tagalog language, has it's advantages because it is spoken through out the Philippines! So when starting to learn and speak other dialects, try to incorporate the basic Tagalog language too, because you'll be surprised that many of the Filipinos where ever you travel in the Philippines will most likely understand you when speaking the basic tagalog language. Just my 2 cents worth of advice! SugarwareZ-005.gifSugarwareZ-003.gif23_11_60[2].gif13_4_10[1].gif

Edited by Pinoy Art