Why Cant I Get It?

sjp52
Posted
Posted

Try this the express program is free and has a lot of words and phrase and you can download more from other users. If you like it you can buy it for around $50. I have the express program on my computer and my I phone http://byki-express.software.informer.com/

ekimswish
Posted
Posted

I think I will need to learn Waray when we live in Leyte, mostly for doing business and for general life. The English level isn't so high in the boondocks. As well, I've always been curious what my wife sounds like in her native language. Language is harder to learn with age. Every year you age it's only getting harder. I took Chinese classes in college, and the few 40 year olds in the class were just hopeless it seemed in getting things like pronunciation right. I'm starting to worry now that I near 30 if my language learning ability hasn't dropped off a ton, too. But if my daughters are going to speak Waray, I better learn it too. Took 30 beginner lessons off the internet before, and it helped a little bit, but the grammar is SO extremely different from English, it'll take a ton of practice to ever become quick-to-recognize and use it. If nothing else, at least improve your vocab so you can tell the subject or topic of the sentence.

joeatmanila
Posted
Posted

Well...I speak Greek, English, Spanish and getting along in French and Slovenian. You can say i am good with languages. When it comes to Tagalog...8 years now i can only get together a few phrases but not to the level of holding a conversation. I know lots of words and i usually understand almost fully what they talk about (for as long as they speak Tagalog). Perhaps because i am not 8 full years here since i travel a lot...I do not know how but i have to and i will learn this language fluently since i decided to live here for ever.

Jake
Posted
Posted
Well...I speak Greek, English, Spanish and getting along in French and Slovenian. You can say i am good with languages. When it comes to Tagalog...8 years now i can only get together a few phrases but not to the level of holding a conversation. I know lots of words and i usually understand almost fully what they talk about (for as long as they speak Tagalog). Perhaps because i am not 8 full years here since i travel a lot...I do not know how but i have to and i will learn this language fluently since i decided to live here for ever.
Mabuhay Joe,As a senior bridge officer of the merchant navy, you certainly have a well rounded backgroundin dealing with international languages and culture. I salute you sir!Respectfully -- Jake

Art2ro
Posted
Posted

I'm a Fil/Am like Jake, but it took me 12 years to pick up the Tagalog language fluently and write with an average vocabulary of words at the elementary grade school level! Hey! I can even send text messages in Tagalog!

ekimswish
Posted
Posted

How do mormons always get the local language so fast (wherever they are)? I think they do two months of intensive studies, full time, and then hit the streets and probably keep studying. But they're usually fluent by one year, or at least by the end of their mission at two years. Sometimes I wonder if they'd take a non-mormon like me into their language classes.