What Have You Learned About The Philippines

lobo
Posted
Posted

i take no offense to being called a kano.. or hey joe.. i hear it everyday.. i also have no use for political correctness.. thats an american pile of crap.. i didnt come to the filipins hoping to find it either..just to explain myself.. i have a thick skin and broad shoulders.. i am blunt or direct.. i am not always the prince of tact and my wife says i wont be appointed to any diplomatic posts anytime soon.. but i am fair and honest and its not always acceptable.. im happy to share my experiences and im glad to read about others.. one thing thats consistent i found thru-out the fils is that everything is exactly the same no matter where u go... reading here is the proof.. plus my own travels.. its honestly a little boring at times since i really enjoy a big variety and i thought with so many different tribes here id see different customs.. especially foods and i use that word lightly.. why does anyone want to chop up good meat , bones and all and cook it or rather just boil it in water and serve it? ohh that brings up one thing i get to witness.. :no: i often see pigs killed for festivals , b-days and all of the other celebrations they have here on an almost daily basis . i am used to just putting a bullet in the pigs head and the job is done.. here, i have seen the pig tied by one leg to a stake in the ground and then stabbed in the neck with a long knife... hmmm.. well thats not fair i think and it has to be stabbed many times before it bleeds out , but the blood is being wasted on the ground?? hers the deal.. kill an animal quickly and you have a more tender meat.. murder the animal and you get every ounce of adrenalin he has in his body and his muscles.. my only conclusion is that they are blood thirsty and enjoy killing.. there are however some supposed former head hunters north of baguio i think that have a different outlook on life.. :( i can appreciate that.. and the bbq here?? hahahahahahahahahai see and johnnys bbq stand with coleslaw and potato salad in the future..

lobo
Posted
Posted
Lobo……..that was a great post, shows a lot of insight of the local culture and the mindset of the local people and government. These types of thoughtful posts are what make forums like this great.Doug and Sally
tnx.. im tryin to be useful...

Singers
Posted
Posted (edited)

"think of it as rugby and america is the football... maybe that helps huh??"Yes Lobo,I could join in an American kicking :( but that has never been my nature and I am too old to change.I abhor the Church? involvement in "dumbing down" the Pinoy and I walked out of Mass in Cebu when the Bishop pontificated to the congregation "be a good "Pinoy" - pay your taxes - fall in line and keep that line" Etc... Tex & I stood and walked out as did 5 or more other western couples.Some of your other points you mention I have experienced and YES the lack of gratitude is the one I find most difficult. To "help" someone spontaneously and willingly and then hear that same person is lying about me behind my back is a bitter pill to swallow as is watching the "food Q" greed - as you described and , again, no gratitude is ever shown. Tex is very forgiving of such and is happy to know she has provided them with a meal...We re-roofed the the BRGY Chapel when last home in PI but the normal repair fund holder was bypassed as "she" is known to have sticky fingers... When we returned to UK "She" spread rumours that I has divorced Tax and returned UK leaving Tex to work as a -?????- (maid) in S'pore. Tex was a hotel manager in S'pore where we met and would find similar emloyement again if necessary.So utter lies to the point of insanity with jealously and anger rewarded her with a black eye from her husband. I took no pleasure in hearing that bit of gossip! :mocking:She now is telling of how "she" organized the roof repair which "The lovely couple Tom & Cristina" paid for. !!! ???? SugarwareZ-011.gifSmile and IM Exp. not only in The Philippines."Keep the faith" Thank you Lobo, :no: post.UK Tom

Edited by Mr. Lee
remove improperly placed quotes

lobo
Posted
Posted (edited)
"think of it as rugby and america is the football... maybe that helps huh??"Yes Lobo,I could join in an American kicking :( but that has never been my nature and I am too old to change.I abhor the Church? involvement in "dumbing down" the Pinoy and I walked out of Mass in Cebu when the Bishop pontificated to the congregation "be a good "Pinoy" - pay your taxes - fall in line and keep that line" Etc... Tex & I stood and walked out as did 5 or more other western couples.Some of your other points you mention I have experienced and YES the lack of gratitude is the one I find most difficult. To "help" someone spontaneously and willingly and then hear that same person is lying about me behind my back is a bitter pill to swallow as is watching the "food Q" greed - as you described and , again, no gratitude is ever shown. Tex is very forgiving of such and is happy to know she has provided them with a meal...We re-roofed the the BRGY Chapel when last home in PI but the normal repair fund holder was bypassed as "she" is known to have sticky fingers... When we returned to UK "She" spread rumours that I has divorced Tax and returned UK leaving Tex to work as a -?????- (maid) in S'pore. Tex was a hotel manager in S'pore where we met and would find similar emloyement again if necessary.So utter lies to the point of insanity with jealously and anger rewarded her with a black eye from her husband. I took no pleasure in hearing that bit of gossip! :mocking:She now is telling of how "she" organized the roof repair which "The lovely couple Tom & Cristina" paid for. !!! ???? SugarwareZ-011.gifSmile and IM Exp. not only in The Philippines."Keep the faith" Thank you Lobo, :no: post.UK Tom
this lying thing seems to be of galactic proportions thru-out the country .. a national pastime of sorts.. lives so small that anything you can concoct about others makes you seem so important to your already muddle headed friends who are at the ready to embellish it more and spread it down the line... but its more than that.. i see it now .. its particularly vicious when it is directed at expats.. my wifes home is north of here in tanauan and she goes there to do business and i stay here not wanting to go to the city.. she went last month and within 2 days i got the rumor that shed left me and stolen all of my money.. i was broke and would have to go back to america.. worse yet they were happy about it and almost celebrating the demise of yet another kano who met his fate at the hands of a smart pinay lady who robbed him blind.. when she returned we went to the beach (origin of the rumor ) and made sure we visited them all .. we took treats and goodies for them all and i went out of my way to kiss and hug my wife in front of them all... declaring to them all that i had married an incredible pinay lady who had more class than any of them could ever hope to have.. i told them i wasnt offended by their nasty rumors , but in fact encouraged them to make as big a fools of themselves as they could... with their mouths full of free treats their smiles went to frowns of shame and i was happy with the results...they know i will confront them ..its only a matter of time..LYING..ITS A NATIONAL PAST TIME Edited by Mr. Lee
edit to put quotes back in proper places

Singers
Posted
Posted (edited)
this lying thing seems to be of galactic proportions thru-out the country .. a national pastime of sorts.. lives so small that anything you can concoct about others makes you seem so important to your already muddle headed friends who are at the ready to embellish it more and spread it down the line... but its more than that.. i see it now .. its particularly vicious when it is directed at expats.. my wifes home is north of here in tanauan and she goes there to do business and i stay here not wanting to go to the city.. she went last month and within 2 days i got the rumor that shed left me and stolen all of my money.. i was broke and would have to go back to america.. worse yet they were happy about it and almost celebrating the demise of yet another kano who met his fate at the hands of a smart pinay lady who robbed him blind.. when she returned we went to the beach (origin of the rumor ) and made sure we visited them all .. we took treats and goodies for them all and i went out of my way to kiss and hug my wife in front of them all... declaring to them all that i had married an incredible pinay lady who had more class than any of them could ever hope to have.. i told them i wasnt offended by their nasty rumors , but in fact encouraged them to make as big a fools of themselves as they could... with their mouths full of free treats their smiles went to frowns of shame and i was happy with the results...they know i will confront them ..its only a matter of time..LYING..ITS A NATIONAL PAST TIME
Yes Lobo,Very sadly true. I find it odd that they show such stupidity towards the "hand that feeds" which stops feeding when their lies are reported back... a kind of "self destruct" mentality AND the "spies" are so happy to report and then sit and wait for the sh1t to hit the fan!.ME 2 --- Tex stole my money also!!! and sold most of my property - pocketing ALL the money then went working as a maid in S'Pors ???--- quite funny if not so pathetically sad Gossips.There is a film -- The Field [DVD] ~ Richard Harris, John Hurt, Sean Bean, and Frances Tomelty (DVD - 2001) -- which depicts the nastier side of old rural Ireland "thinking" which is still evident in modern Ireland and as vicious in Academia UK.I am very happy with "our" decision to live in PI though.:no: SugarwareZ-225.gif7_3_205[1].gifSo not only in PI... UK Tom Edited by Mr. Lee
edit to put quote back in proper places

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
this lying thing seems to be of galactic proportions thru-out the country .. a national pastime of sorts.. lives so small that anything you can concoct about others makes you seem so important to your already muddle headed friends who are at the ready to embellish it more and spread it down the line... but its more than that.. i see it now .. its particularly vicious when it is directed at expats.. my wifes home is north of here in tanauan and she goes there to do business and i stay here not wanting to go to the city.. she went last month and within 2 days i got the rumor that shed left me and stolen all of my money.. i was broke and would have to go back to america.. worse yet they were happy about it and almost celebrating the demise of yet another kano who met his fate at the hands of a smart pinay lady who robbed him blind.. when she returned we went to the beach (origin of the rumor ) and made sure we visited them all .. we took treats and goodies for them all and i went out of my way to kiss and hug my wife in front of them all... declaring to them all that i had married an incredible pinay lady who had more class than any of them could ever hope to have.. i told them i wasnt offended by their nasty rumors , but in fact encouraged them to make as big a fools of themselves as they could... with their mouths full of free treats their smiles went to frowns of shame and i was happy with the results...they know i will confront them ..its only a matter of time..LYING..ITS A NATIONAL PAST TIME
I believe that stating that something is a national past time, would insinuate that you have met almost every person in the Philippines and found that this is behavior to be common amongst almost all. While I do not doubt that some or even many like to do as you both post, it has not been my experience and since I understand the gist of many conversations, I have usually not found anyone back biting me either in the provinces or in the city. Now what they say behind my back when I am not there, I would have no idea of, yet I have never had anyone come back to me and tell me anything that has ever been said bad about me, and many of the nieces, nephews and people we have met along life's path seem to take a shine to me (or maybe just tolerate me) and some have had long conversations with me and have even warned me of possible upcoming problems but not backbiting. I guess a lot of things might be perception and I most often choose to see the bright side of things and avoid seeing the negativity that can also at times go along with living in a country other than our own. After all, we are considered to be very rich most times, so therefore some will be jealous of us and our wives at times and may act childish or foolish because of that. Now I surely am not saying you guys have to be wrong, I am just saying that IMO a broad generalization should never be included and things should be said as in my experience and IMO or even, of the people that I have met etc.  I believe that humans are programed to remember the bad and to forget the good, or at the very least have to dig harder to remember the good and while I know there is bad in all races, I feel the good surely outweighs the bad or our wives and possibly our children would also have to be included in the thought that lying is a national pastime and I have never caught my wife or kids lying or back biting me. BTW, the way people have been described would also fit many I have had the displeasure of having to deal with in the US, so maybe it is not just a Filipino trait as you state, and maybe it is a world wide pandemic of sorts, and maybe it is I who has my head buried in the sand or maybe I interact with people differently than some others do, but if so then I only hope that I can continue to do so and never have to see the ugly side of life in the Philippines that you describe.    :no:

Singers
Posted
Posted (edited)
I believe that stating that something is a national past time, would insinuate that you have met almost every person in the Philippines and found that this is behavior to be common amongst almost all. While I do not doubt that some or even many like to do as you both post, it has not been my experience and since I understand the gist of many conversations, I have usually not found anyone back biting me either in the provinces or in the city. Now what they say behind my back when I am not there, I would have no idea of, yet I have never had anyone come back to me and tell me anything that has ever been said bad about me, and many of the nieces, nephews and people we have met along life's path seem to take a shine to me (or maybe just tolerate me) and some have had long conversations with me and have even warned me of possible upcoming problems but not backbiting. I guess a lot of things might be perception and I most often choose to see the bright side of things and avoid seeing the negativity that can also at times go along with living in a country other than our own. After all, we are considered to be very rich most times, so therefore some will be jealous of us and our wives at times and may act childish or foolish because of that. Now I surely am not saying you guys have to be wrong, I am just saying that IMO a broad generalization should never be included and things should be said as in my experience and IMO or even, of the people that I have met etc. I believe that humans are programed to remember the bad and to forget the good, or at the very least have to dig harder to remember the good and while I know there is bad in all races, I feel the good surely outweighs the bad or our wives and possibly our children would also have to be included in the thought that lying is a national pastime and I have never caught my wife or kids lying or back biting me. BTW, the way people have been described would also fit many I have had the displeasure of having to deal with in the US, so maybe it is not just a Filipino trait as you state, and maybe it is a world wide pandemic of sorts, and maybe it is I who has my head buried in the sand or maybe I interact with people differently than some others do, but if so then I only hope that I can continue to do so and never have to see the ugly side of life in the Philippines that you describe. :no:
Lee, I read not long ago on this forum of "someone" returning to Cebu from US AND he DID NOT inform any PI in-Laws except a trusted cousin!!! Because of ???? "the ugly side of life in the Philippines" PERHAPS?? Being a simple soul I expect people to know that a person EXPECTS his pronouncement's to taken as his opinion or based on his experience -- nobody has "met everyone" as you wrote... UK TomYes Lobo,Very sadly true. I find it odd that they show such stupidity towards the "hand that feeds" which stops feeding when their lies are reported back... a kind of "self destruct" mentality AND the "spies" are so happy to report and then sit and wait for the sh1t to hit the fan!.ME 2 --- Tex stole my money also!!! and sold most of my property - pocketing ALL the money then went working as a maid in S'Pors ???--- quite funny if not so pathetically sad Gossips.There is a film -- The Field [DVD] ~ Richard Harris, John Hurt, Sean Bean, and Frances Tomelty (DVD - 2001) -- which depicts the nastier side of old rural Ireland "thinking" which is still evident in modern Ireland and as vicious in Academia UK.I am very happy with "our" decision to live in PI though.:( SugarwareZ-225.gif7_3_205[1].gifSo not only in PI... UK Tom Edited by Mr. Lee
repair quotes

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
Lee I read not long ago on this forum of "someone" returning to Cebu from US AND he DID NOT inform any PI in-Laws except a trusted cousin!!! Because of ???? "the ugly side of life in the Philippines" PERHAPS??Being a simple soul I expect people to know that a person EXPECTS his pronouncement's to taken as his opinion or based on his experience -- nobody has "met everyone" as you wrote...UK Tom
UK Tom, I am lost at how you place some of your posts at times and I am finding it harder and harder to try to fix some of them such as the one above,   :no:  so could you please try to post below the last quote in the post and not try to put them in the words quote, because that screws up the whole format of the forum.  Now why am I posting this here instead of in a private message, because possibly then members might be able to better understand your post above where your reply to me which I put in red, looks as if I am saying it to myself.  Now to answer your question above, it is that my wife and I like to enjoy a vacation away from it all and it is not necessary for the whole family to know where we are in the world all the time. I, like many of you have had to deal with money issues within the family before I finally had to lay down the law as to how it would be handled, and for now it seems to no longer be a problem. I also have to admit that I made my own problem by not understanding back at the beginning how little they made a day and how my throwing large amounts of money at some who made so little, might only end up with some of them wasting it. I had to learn on my own and the hard way and did not have forums or friends to help me back then. 

Singers
Posted
Posted
Lee I read not long ago on this forum of "someone" returning to Cebu from US AND he DID NOT inform any PI in-Laws except a trusted cousin!!! Because of ????Being a simple soul I expect people to know that a person EXPECTS his pronouncement's to taken as his opinion or based on his experience -- nobody has "met everyone" as you wrote...UK Tom
UK Tom, I am lost at how you place some of your posts at times and I am finding it harder and harder to try to fix some of them such as the one above, :no: so could you please try to post below the last quote in the post and not try to put them in the words quote, because that screws up the whole format of the forum. Now why am I posting this here instead of in a private message, because possibly then members might be able to better understand your post above where your reply to me which I put in red, looks as if I am saying it to myself. Now to answer your question above, it is that my wife and I like to enjoy a vacation away from it all and it is not necessary for the whole family to know where we are in the world all the time. I, like many of you have had to deal with money issues within the family before I finally had to lay down the law as to how it would be handled, and for now it seems to no longer be a problem. I also have to admit that I made my own problem by not understanding back at the beginning how little they made a day and how my throwing large amounts of money at some who made so little, might only end up with some of them wasting it. I had to learn on my own and the hard way and did not have forums or friends to help me back then.
There ya go... Mr. LeeNot all of us know everything either!!!UK Tom SugarwareZ-003.gif

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
Lee I read not long ago on this forum of "someone" returning to Cebu from US AND he DID NOT inform any PI in-Laws except a trusted cousin!!! Because of ????Being a simple soul I expect people to know that a person EXPECTS his pronouncement's to taken as his opinion or based on his experience -- nobody has "met everyone" as you wrote...UK Tom
UK Tom, I am lost at how you place some of your posts at times and I am finding it harder and harder to try to fix some of them such as the one above, :no: so could you please try to post below the last quote in the post and not try to put them in the words quote, because that screws up the whole format of the forum. Now why am I posting this here instead of in a private message, because possibly then members might be able to better understand your post above where your reply to me which I put in red, looks as if I am saying it to myself. Now to answer your question above, it is that my wife and I like to enjoy a vacation away from it all and it is not necessary for the whole family to know where we are in the world all the time. I, like many of you have had to deal with money issues within the family before I finally had to lay down the law as to how it would be handled, and for now it seems to no longer be a problem. I also have to admit that I made my own problem by not understanding back at the beginning how little they made a day and how my throwing large amounts of money at some who made so little, might only end up with some of them wasting it. I had to learn on my own and the hard way and did not have forums or friends to help me back then.
There ya go... Mr. LeeNot all of us know everything either!!!UK Tom SugarwareZ-003.gif
Absolutely UK Tom,  SugarwareZ-003.gif  it is a learning process and we are all on forums to learn and have fun, myself included and that is why I get upset with generalizations because one size never fits all and what if a member was reading this forum with the idea of coming to the Philippines to meet a lady with the hopes of marrying her and then read a generalization that lying is nationwide past time. Who would they know to trust, might they change their minds or start analyzing every spoken or written word. I would like fair and balanced posts and I surely do not know it all when it comes to the Philippines, forums or even life, I just wish readers to get a balanced view and not have some Filipina end up getting dumped because someone takes what they read from any of us as gospel. We all see things differently and that is why I feel it is best that we state it as such. JMHO