What Have You Learned About The Philippines

Singers
Posted
Posted (edited)
Wow Uzi, that example seems like one stupid Kano IMO. IMO when a few pesos can solve the problem then I would rather just spend those pesos and not get into a fight or show Filipinos what an Arse I can be. I have to admit that while in the US that I have demanded customer service and even yelled at a manager or four in my days, when they did not seem to solve the problem the first time but it has usually been because I feel more like a consumer advocate and try to make sure others who are not as street wise as I feel that I am, will not get robbed by something someone refused to fix because they felt it was not important enough to go to the trouble, but you will never catch me doing that in the Philippines except possibly to bring a problem to the owners or managers attention. The old saying that you get more with honey than vinegar really applies in the Philippines because I have found that most Filipinos do not respond well to threats and may even go against someone who did that verses someone being nice. In the case of the example, how much can a new battery cost, maybe p200 or p250 or maybe even less, I would have just went to another store such as the one in SM that specializes in China batteries and bought a new battery and saved my blood pressure because that small amount is not worth getting a stroke over or making us all look bad, such as what that guy appeared to do.Now with all that said, what really happened may be another story than what he posted because some people like to make themselves out to be tough on forums when they are really not much in real life, so I would take that post with a grain of salt. In the US I have destroyed items that managers refused to make good, just to show them that it was not the cost but the principal that I was upset about and that usually got their attention and in the case of the example, I would have gone to the owner or manager of the mall or location that the business was in and made them aware that the store was selling faulty items and maybe they would have eventually had a talk with them, but in the Philippines probably not. :(
My Chinese GF, of 5 years, was a great teacher on how to WIN -- "don't look if it offends" -- "don't loose temper - Asians just get scared" (switch off). My Brit boss in Singers showed how effective saying "I may not look angry BUT I assure you I am EXTREMELY angry" could be when dealing with store staff / Managers etc... I now use that quite often and saying it helps me keep my BP low... and gets results! :thumbsup: :lol: having said iT I feel the need to not look ANGRY.?? UK Tom :yes: Edited by Singers

UZI
Posted
Posted
Wow Uzi, that example seems like one stupid Kano IMO. IMO when a few pesos can solve the problem then I would rather just spend those pesos and not get into a fight or show Filipinos what an Arse I can be. I have to admit that while in the US that I have demanded customer service and even yelled at a manager or four in my days, when they did not seem to solve the problem the first time but it has usually been because I feel more like a consumer advocate and try to make sure others who are not as street wise as I feel that I am, will not get robbed by something someone refused to fix because they felt it was not important enough to go to the trouble, but you will never catch me doing that in the Philippines except possibly to bring a problem to the owners or managers attention. The old saying that you get more with honey than vinegar really applies in the Philippines because I have found that most Filipinos do not respond well to threats and may even go against someone who did that verses someone being nice. In the case of the example, how much can a new battery cost, maybe p200 or p250 or maybe even less, I would have just went to another store such as the one in SM that specializes in China batteries and bought a new battery and saved my blood pressure because that small amount is not worth getting a stroke over or making us all look bad, such as what that guy appeared to do.Now with all that said, what really happened may be another story than what he posted because some people like to make themselves out to be tough on forums when they are really not much in real life, so I would take that post with a grain of salt. In the US I have destroyed items that managers refused to make good, just to show them that it was not the cost but the principal that I was upset about and that usually got their attention and in the case of the example, I would have gone to the owner or manager of the mall or location that the business was in and made them aware that the store was selling faulty items and maybe they would have eventually had a talk with them, but in the Philippines probably not. :(
My Chinese GF, of 5 years, was a great teacher on how to WIN -- "don't look if it offends" -- "don't loose temper - Asians just get scared" (switch off). My Brit boss in Singers showed how effective saying "I may not look angry BUT I assure you I am EXTREMELY angry" could be when dealing with store staff / Managers etc... I now use that quite often and saying it helps me keep my BP low... and gets results! :thumbsup: :lol: having said iT I feel the need to not look ANGRY.?? UK Tom :yes:
Some people will always see 'glass half empty'....I prefer to see the positive in all things. I save my anger & swearing to when I am driving & behind tinted glass SugarwareZ-004.gif

tropicalwaste
Posted
Posted

Travelling around the Philippines is more likely to have a risk of being hit by a bus or truck than being robbed or shot. I wonder off quite regularly into the mountains and other areas of Cebu. Most people are just happy that you are there and fascinated that you will take their picture or wondering where you are going. Doesn't mean its all plain sailing though as there seems to be an increase in Jeepney robberies between Naga and Cebu city lately didn't hear of any happening before this year and I know 5 people so far this year. Also I find a camera is also good for beggers as they like having their picture taken and generally will go off happy after seeing themselves on the camera screen.As regards "Kanos" same thing comes up regular when me and my wife are out prime example last night as we were at a Fiesta and one of Aprils friends says "doesn't your husband get mad because people are talking in Cebuano and laughing?". At which my response was "I am in the Philippines if you were in the UK I would say speak English". Its all part of people realising the world does not revolve round them same as I had the misfortune of meeting a 70 year old American in McDonalds while there with my wife last year who was "is this your Filipina?" and explained how people should marry in Hong Kong so that they could get the divorce easily and that the 17 - 18 year old girls he had been texting to meet recently hadn't shown up including the one he was trying to meet there. Filipino's by nature are very curious people and don't miss much this dirty old pervert is something they see a lot of and aware of. The same goes for expecting most foreigners to be drunk, bad tempered and smoke a lot. Because remember most people remember the idiot not the people that aren't causing problems. Its like the conversations about nothing people have between themselves over daily routine in life here (locals) how far do you think the abusive drunk in a restaurants conversation with a manager will go in a local community?Prime example of the bamboo telegraph - A couple of years ago we were having problems with a relative so decided to move. I know a vucaniser nearby so I asked if he knew of any apartments for rent in the area as so many people stop there for tyre changing. He knew an apartment nearby so I went to look at it with him. On route he took me to see his wife since I hadn't seen her since the year before. Had a look at the apartment was "kano price" so left it the funny thing with that was when I said no its too expensive the guy showing me round instantly asked for my cellphone number (to reduce the price). Anyway the following day my wifes mother arrived early to ask why we are moving. As the vucanisers wife had spoken to someone else who was renting one of the other apartments who knew Aprils mother and that he was surprised that April had married a foreigner who discussed it with Aprils cousin who owns a small restaurant in the market. Aprils mother went to the market in the morning for groceries and was then asked about it.. within 24 hours the entire market had known about us moving because it was interesting to the local population yet insignificant to us. So be warned you never know how far what you say goes..The losing temper thing is something to be avoided not only because its generally small coins we are talking but also you don't know who you are talking to and things could escalate fast. Manners cost nothing but a few broken ribs outside of a restaurant for arguing with an owner is an expensive trip to the hospital. Also remember the people who work in these stores are put in that position to be shouted at as most of the store owners you will never see. But the guidelines are very specific and strict. But at the same time if your nice the people in the store will give you more loyalty than they give their bosses. For example I was looking for a running machine and the sales person ended up advising me going to another store as the stock there was second hand. Same at Ayala when I was looking for an Airsoft rifle the guy selling me the guns gave us directions to CQB as Ayala uses CQB's license to trade and the guns are cheaper there.

Singers
Posted
Posted (edited)
My Chinese GF, of 5 years, was a great teacher on how to WIN -- "don't look if it offends" -- "don't loose temper - Asians just get scared" (switch off). My Brit boss in Singers showed how effective saying "I may not look angry BUT I assure you I am EXTREMELY angry" could be when dealing with store staff / Managers etc... I now use that quite often and saying it helps me keep my BP low... and gets results! :thumbsup: :lol: having said iT I feel the need to not look ANGRY.?? UK Tom :yes:
Some people will always see 'glass half empty'....I prefer to see the positive in all things. I save my anger & swearing to when I am driving & behind tinted glass SugarwareZ-004.gif
Yes UziTHAT aspect of UK driving had Tex bewildered."How do you know he is a Bastard Etc. and "why do you get so angry when driving"??. "You should be "The Government" telling people what to do".NOW Cristina is driving she has made a few comments herself "the crazy cut me up" as an example... no swearing -- as yet??UK Tom SugarwareZ-007.gif Cristina - the NEW road warrior! SugarwareZ-011.gif Edited by Singers

easy44
Posted
Posted
I know we are all on forums to learn so I am wondering what have others learned during their stays in the Philippines? I know I have learned to love the people & that those stone faced people in elevators usually turn into big smiling faces when I say a greeting to them so I wonder why they start out stone faced in the first place? is it cuz they are shy or cuz of how others have treated them? is province life better than city life? I live in the city & really like it & I am wondering if I am missing out on much by not traveling to the provinces & that is why I want to buy a bike & travel around the whole island of Cebu so has anyone done that & what was it like? is it safe for a lone American to drive around the provinces?
Hey Traveler,I'm right with you buddy. A genuine smile with a simple greeting is usually the ice breaker no matter where you live. In the Philippines, I found that showing a random act of kindness to someone that sees you everyday (tricycle and jeepney drivers, street vendors, PNP, etc) could provide you with lasting respect and protection on the street. A bottle of cold water, leftover pizza, cheap sunglasses, etc given to a tricycle driver that always waits at your corner would be an example. Most of them will remember your kindness and will be your neighborhood eyes and ears for you and your family, especially at night.Have a good one my friend -- Jake
I agree with Jake. We always get a smile from the Guards as we go in and out of the Sub Division because we smile & wave to them too. We also give them a couple of bottles of Fundador for Christmas as well. I was treated well by our local PNP following a minor accident & invited them to the house for food & drink in return. When we use Tricycabs (sp) on visits to Naga Cebu, we always have a joke with the guy & give a bit extra if they are friendly. We are always remembered & get priority treatment when we need a ride. Same with our neighbors & even their maids. A smile & a good morning goes a long way in getting our little community looking out for each other.As for the safety side of things, well we have lived in Hong Kong, Malaysia, Kuwait, Dubai & Norway too and can honestly say the Philippines in no better or worse than any other. Hong Kong has areas where you wouldn't go alone for example. Big cities attract ALL types. What I have found in the Philippines is a high level of paranoia. People THINK it is more dangerous but ask around & few can relate anything worse than a pick pocket or stolen cellphone. We have lived here for 4 years & feel as safe here as in the UK, if not actually safer.As for traveling around alone, if this is something you would do in any other country & have experienced, then you will be ok. I know a guy who posts on another forum who explores North Luzon all the time on his BMW bike alone & posts photos of great scenes. If not, then as Jake said, there are lots of bike clubs in Cebu & throughout the RP that regularly organise tours, so join up with one.:Policeman:Common sense is your best tool at all times.Uzi.
Yes Traveller, Link -- M/Cycle INFO PI Compiled by a Canadian Tour operator Garry & Sheila (Filipina) BlancSeblonAs "foreigners" in Asian countries we are treated very well and a "Bad Foreigner" to restaurant Etc. Staff does not seem to spoil our welcome in the same venue. In PI you should get along very nicely with a smile or wave of greeting and be as safe as in any European country today!.As for obnoxious Kano?? who knows why they are arrogant. As you imply it is likely they "Brought" that baggage with them... to PI.I have on a few occasions felt the need to make a kind comment to a (insulted) Pinoy when a Kano has been a Pr1k!..:yes: so NOT my fault!! but I always feel ashamed of the rudeness some Westerners can show to locals in Asia...:gday:Kind wishes for your exploring... VIDEOUK Tom
I was reading this story on another forum on how an American in Cebu got angry over a faulty battery in a cheap China Copy cellphone his girl had bought. We all know that customer service here has some way :lol: to go to reach Western standards but do you think this response is a good way to deal with it?
I was livid at this point, so I looked at the glass counter and asked them, "How much is this counter worth? A little over 2,000 pesos right?" So I grabbed the counter and started shaking it to see if it would be manageable enough to toss it through the glass window. One of the guys (who I think was the store manager but too scared to admit it) there runs and calls the security guard.The security guard comes in the store and I told him to mind his own f&^&%cking business. He took a step inside the store with his hand on his gun. So I start charging after the guard. His eyes got big as 5-piso coins and he ran out of the store. He went to get backup.
This guy was a hair away from getting shot IMHO & there would have been PLENTY of witnesses to say the guard had no choice but to shoot the crazy Kano. What would the Sun Star :thumbsup: have made of that story & what long threads we would have had discussing how there must be more to the story. Life is too short for old men acting all Macho SugarwareZ-267.gif in a foreign country. Smiling gets MUCH better results too. :th_signs027:Just my dalawa centavosUzi.
Uzi, it's probably not a good idea to be reposting stuff from other forums without the permission of the OP. What you didn't mention because maybe you didn't know is that guy is a Filipino not a Kano. Shows how stories can get ###### up when people don't know what they are talking about.

UZI
Posted
Posted
My Chinese GF, of 5 years, was a great teacher on how to WIN -- "don't look if it offends" -- "don't loose temper - Asians just get scared" (switch off). My Brit boss in Singers showed how effective saying "I may not look angry BUT I assure you I am EXTREMELY angry" could be when dealing with store staff / Managers etc... I now use that quite often and saying it helps me keep my BP low... and gets results! :thumbsup: :lol: having said iT I feel the need to not look ANGRY.?? UK Tom :(
Yes UziTHAT aspect of UK driving had Tex bewildered."How do you know he is a Bastard Etc. and "why do you get so angry when driving"??. "You should be "The Government" telling people what to do".NOW Cristina is driving she has made a few comments herself "the crazy cut me up" as an example... no swearing -- as yet??UK Tom SugarwareZ-007.gif Cristina - the NEW road warrior! SugarwareZ-011.gif
Tom,Dee doesn't drive (well me up the wall sometimes :yes: ) but now does an excellent running commentary from the passenger seat. The world should be thankful she isn't driving or we would never get there with all the stops for her to ask ' Gusto mong mamatay - sira ulo (you want to die - stupid) to every Trike. :Policeman:Uzi

UZI
Posted
Posted (edited)
I know we are all on forums to learn so I am wondering what have others learned during their stays in the Philippines? I know I have learned to love the people & that those stone faced people in elevators usually turn into big smiling faces when I say a greeting to them so I wonder why they start out stone faced in the first place? is it cuz they are shy or cuz of how others have treated them? is province life better than city life? I live in the city & really like it & I am wondering if I am missing out on much by not traveling to the provinces & that is why I want to buy a bike & travel around the whole island of Cebu so has anyone done that & what was it like? is it safe for a lone American to drive around the provinces?
Hey Traveler,I'm right with you buddy. A genuine smile with a simple greeting is usually the ice breaker no matter where you live. In the Philippines, I found that showing a random act of kindness to someone that sees you everyday (tricycle and jeepney drivers, street vendors, PNP, etc) could provide you with lasting respect and protection on the street. A bottle of cold water, leftover pizza, cheap sunglasses, etc given to a tricycle driver that always waits at your corner would be an example. Most of them will remember your kindness and will be your neighborhood eyes and ears for you and your family, especially at night.Have a good one my friend -- Jake
I agree with Jake. We always get a smile from the Guards as we go in and out of the Sub Division because we smile & wave to them too. We also give them a couple of bottles of Fundador for Christmas as well. I was treated well by our local PNP following a minor accident & invited them to the house for food & drink in return. When we use Tricycabs (sp) on visits to Naga Cebu, we always have a joke with the guy & give a bit extra if they are friendly. We are always remembered & get priority treatment when we need a ride. Same with our neighbors & even their maids. A smile & a good morning goes a long way in getting our little community looking out for each other.As for the safety side of things, well we have lived in Hong Kong, Malaysia, Kuwait, Dubai & Norway too and can honestly say the Philippines in no better or worse than any other. Hong Kong has areas where you wouldn't go alone for example. Big cities attract ALL types. What I have found in the Philippines is a high level of paranoia. People THINK it is more dangerous but ask around & few can relate anything worse than a pick pocket or stolen cellphone. We have lived here for 4 years & feel as safe here as in the UK, if not actually safer.As for traveling around alone, if this is something you would do in any other country & have experienced, then you will be ok. I know a guy who posts on another forum who explores North Luzon all the time on his BMW bike alone & posts photos of great scenes. If not, then as Jake said, there are lots of bike clubs in Cebu & throughout the RP that regularly organise tours, so join up with one.:Policeman:Common sense is your best tool at all times.Uzi.
Yes Traveller, Link -- M/Cycle INFO PI Compiled by a Canadian Tour operator Garry & Sheila (Filipina) BlancSeblonAs "foreigners" in Asian countries we are treated very well and a "Bad Foreigner" to restaurant Etc. Staff does not seem to spoil our welcome in the same venue. In PI you should get along very nicely with a smile or wave of greeting and be as safe as in any European country today!.As for obnoxious Kano?? who knows why they are arrogant. As you imply it is likely they "Brought" that baggage with them... to PI.I have on a few occasions felt the need to make a kind comment to a (insulted) Pinoy when a Kano has been a Pr1k!..:yes: so NOT my fault!! but I always feel ashamed of the rudeness some Westerners can show to locals in Asia...:gday:Kind wishes for your exploring... VIDEOUK Tom
I was reading this story on another forum on how an American in Cebu got angry over a faulty battery in a cheap China Copy cellphone his girl had bought. We all know that customer service here has some way :lol: to go to reach Western standards but do you think this response is a good way to deal with it?
I was livid at this point, so I looked at the glass counter and asked them, "How much is this counter worth? A little over 2,000 pesos right?" So I grabbed the counter and started shaking it to see if it would be manageable enough to toss it through the glass window. One of the guys (who I think was the store manager but too scared to admit it) there runs and calls the security guard.The security guard comes in the store and I told him to mind his own f&^&%cking business. He took a step inside the store with his hand on his gun. So I start charging after the guard. His eyes got big as 5-piso coins and he ran out of the store. He went to get backup.
This guy was a hair away from getting shot IMHO & there would have been PLENTY of witnesses to say the guard had no choice but to shoot the crazy Kano. What would the Sun Star :thumbsup: have made of that story & what long threads we would have had discussing how there must be more to the story. Life is too short for old men acting all Macho SugarwareZ-267.gif in a foreign country. Smiling gets MUCH better results too. :th_signs027:Just my dalawa centavosUzi.
Uzi, it's probably not a good idea to be reposting stuff from other forums without the permission of the OP. What you didn't mention because maybe you didn't know is that guy is a Filipino not a Kano. Shows how stories can get ###### up when people don't know what they are talking about.
1. It was an EXAMPLE that most people here & on the other forum recognised as typical of some attitudes. I didn't mention any personal details as you have & it was only a partial quote.2. The replies on the other forum numbered 40 - 50 before anyone pointed out he was (I guess) FilAm & that was way after I posted the quote.3. This thread is not really dependent on that quote as it is on the other forum, so I think the conversation here is valid in reply to the O.P. Edited by UZI

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Just to chime in here,I believe the OP is not FilAm either,he states he looks like a Filipino in other threads.

UZI
Posted
Posted
Just to chime in here,I believe the OP is not FilAm either,he states he looks like a Filipino in other threads.
OK...I am officially baffled by all this. None of it changes the point to this thread or the overall relevance of my post and we are in danger of losing sight of the topic here. :444:The person in question from the other forum says he is from Los Angeles & Cebu, the only post that states he is not a foreigner is from a moderator. Easy44 says he is Filipino & Boss says he isn't. So if he is not a American or FilAm or Filipino then I am at a loss but he could be from Mars for all it matters to the topic at hand. There are currently some 72 posts there & most are saying his attitude was ill advised, so shall we drop this & focus on the topic at hand?As I said earlier "Smiling gets MUCH better results" SugarwareZ-003.gif

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
OK...I am officially baffled by all this. None of it changes the point to this thread or the overall relevance of my post and we are in danger of losing sight of the topic here. :444:The person in question from the other forum says he is from Los Angeles & Cebu, the only post that states he is not a foreigner is from a moderator. Easy44 says he is Filipino & Boss says he isn't. So if he is not a American or FilAm or Filipino then I am at a loss but he could be from Mars for all it matters to the topic at hand. There are currently some 72 posts there & most are saying his attitude was ill advised, so shall we drop this & focus on the topic at hand?As I said earlier "Smiling gets MUCH better results" SugarwareZ-003.gif
I have to agree with Uzi on this one and even if the guy was an Americanized Filipino, based on that section which was copied, his attitude was wrong for the Philippines and IMO he really needs to learn that his way is not the right way to deal with things in the Philippines. So let us please get back to the topic itself and write about the things we have learned about the Philippines.    :thumbsup: One of the things I learned is that it does no good to yell at working people who may only be making p200 a day and who have guidelines to follow and are not allowed to deviate from those guidelines unless they are the owner and not the manager.