What Have You Learned About The Philippines

Singers
Posted
Posted (edited)
soooo uzi.. thats a lot of impressive quotes and stats and %s , but my point wasnt to say the americans have or are exclusively supporting the fils.. it was a post about why the filipinos dont smile and not intended to be a pi ing contest between countries.. tho im happy that the uk is also involved in development in the fils even to a great extent than america if that is so..IMO most of the funds and technology that have been pumped into the fils post american occupation have been either squandered or just plain stolen and the citizens dont benefit at the numbers they should..many of the projects put into print here are for show and never even get started .. not meaning your stats about the brits projects specifically.. as you have all of the stats and facts i would like to know what % of the people here are living in poverty and what %tile holds the most wealth.. sure there are pockets of hi standard of living and beauty replete with expensive homes and cars and wealthy spoiled teens , but that is not the reality for the majority of the people.. and with all of the projects for improvements in this country i have to say something is very wrong.. i have landed where i am for a number of reasons , but i prefer this location to the wealthy communities i have visited . i have the means to live anyplace i want , but i am a common man and i prefer common people.. besides ,some of the wealthy people i know are as big a liars as the poor people i know... quote me please.. i would bet that we westerners have seen more of the country and experienced more here than the typical pinay and have a better perspective on the life here than most of them .. that has been my experience in my talks with the filipinos i have met.. the fact is and yes it is a fact.. i know more about the history of the fils than any pinay i have talked to.. they just dont care i think.. in palawan they still catch the chinese fishermen poisoning the corals to capture tropical fish and it is rapidly killing the corals... thats in the news if you can believe it. i dont dare quote it as fact.. find me a new state of the art sewage treatment plant... show me im wrong.. i want to be wrong.. id love to see any of the new landfills that all of these generous countries have paid for .. not just the U.S.The war and occupation by the United States would change the cultural landscape of the islands, as the people dealt with an estimated 34,000 - 1,000,000 casualties, disestablishment of the Catholic Church as the state religion, and the introduction of the English language as the primary language of government and some businesses. In 1916, the United States granted the Philippines autonomy and promised eventual self-government, which came in 193434000- 1,000,000 ? pheww a big spread, but what does this mean to you and me? is it an accusation and an explanation as to why the pinays are the way they are?? america never enslaved the fils like the spanish did.. and the japanese and the chinese.. anyway i dont understand what that quote is saying.. sorry..as many of us have often heard in our respective countries : the people are not the government and the government is not the people.. meaning people are the same wherever you go .. some good some bad.. but only the ones being served by the current powers are representative of that government.. not the population..the people in any given area are and should be expected to be representative of the general population nationwide.. exclusive of pockets of wealth.. unlike some here i make it my business to pry into the business of local officials and politicians at every chance ,as it gives me the insight i need to understand the people better and it furthers my education in what i have found is a very complicated network of subtle nuances which abound ,to the actual down and dirty business of greasing the palm.. an art and a dance of stealth i am learning.. i share these same thoughts with the people i meet everyday and i dont get the backlash from them that i get here.. i get shared concerns and opened eys and minds and an appreciation for wanting to know about the people and their plight.. the general replies to my questions about WHY is that the gov had done it to the people and the people are doing to each other and the circle grows.. people have to eat and just plain survive and their methods are learned behavior.. they didnt learn it from the americans btw.. it is a nation that doesnt even have time or the opportunity for that matter to evolve into a united nation because of its leadership and the people are being left behind.. you see so many fiestas because its the only way for the towns to say HEY , HERE WE ARE.. WE EXIST TOO... they are trying.. they see the same things we see , but we complain and dont like it.. they dont like it , but they dont complain, because then they are targets.. and i know if i push too hard , too far , too fast, i will be a target too.. i apologize for rambling and going so far off this post.. uzi... i like your stat talents.. i dont have the patience for it , but ill find the histories that i would like you to read.. they are all actual writings and excerpts from the catholic daily logs 17-1800s ?? dont quote me yet on that date.. ;)tnx for your time..i know this is rambling and im sorry.. i hope my words help me explain my other words.. i truly am not negative and i see many posts that when asked opinions or experiences accused of negativity when actually it is the simple relating of that persons experience.. dont ask if you dont want to hear i say..
Excellent Lobo,Tell it like it is.I find the "constrictions" quite tedious IMO indicative of very small minds.UK Tom
Hey...I resemble that remark.....36_6_3[1].gif
Nah Uzi,You got yours from me months ago when you "came out" along the lines of "Discernment and Wit" with a dollop of common sense.No change in my thinking there.... :thumbsup:UK Tom
Uzi "Dear Boy",What I have learned about the Philippines IS --- ALL IMO --- IMHO even --MONEY Money AND more MONEY is the persuader !!Persuades people to vote for a particular Politican even a publicly denounced CROOK...MONEY buys votesMONEY buys "Justice"... a favourable Court decision in favour of the MONEY anyway..MONEY is the power in PI..MONEY decides Right or wrong in almost ALL conflicts -- Road accidents Etc.PEOPLE squander MONEY they come upon??, by Western thinking, on family and friends and end up back in poverty -- All happy again together... BUT a wide circle to call upon for help - perhaps ???Westerners ARE treated as honoured guests and the Pinoy has a respect for the Oldies (Like me)unlike the West --- Oops OZ excepted the young people there can have a genuine rapore with Ol farts -- like me :444: even the OZ Ladies...!!!The Philippines IS a great place to live. Cheap and VERY cheerful...The natural beauty is relatively unspoilt.The natural beauty of Filipina IS NOT just "skin deep".A UK friend (of the Old School), a retired Army Conolel, visited me 10 years ago, in S'Pore on way to his brothers wedding in OZ.He was sceptical as Bro was marrying a Filipina he had never met. Now he loves visiting his S-in-Law and meeting his Pinoy friends in Melbourne. (He Adores Cristina) :444:SH1T happens in the Philippines --SH1T HAPPENS EVERYWHERE --- Even in OZ ? :444: :no:The "frustrations" of The Philippines (to me) are very easily overcome by having someone do the task for me. The pleasures I keep to myself... :SugarwareZ-037: well some!! You can share my grub and Tuba. or a BEER!Cheers Mate,That's enough for now,UK Tomps Did HE have a FIT of PEAK ??-- in the district?? SugarwareZ-007.gif Tom Edited by Singers

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
Uzi "Dear Boy",What I have learned about the Philippines IS --- ALL IMO --- IMHO even --MONEY Money AND more MONEY is the persuader !!Persuades people to vote for a particular Politican even a publicly denounced CROOK...MONEY buys votesMONEY buys "Justice"... a favourable Court decision in favour of the MONEY anyway..MONEY is the power in PI..MONEY decides Right or wrong in almost ALL conflicts -- Road accidents Etc.PEOPLE squander MONEY they come upon??, by Western thinking, on family and friends and end up back in poverty -- All happy again together... BUT a wide circle to call upon for help - perhaps ???Westerners ARE treated as honoured guests and the Pinoy has a respect for the Oldies (Like me)unlike the West --- Oops OZ excepted the young people there can have a genuine rapore with Ol farts -- like me :444: even the OZ Ladies...!!!The Philippines IS a great place to live. Cheap and VERY cheerful...The natural beauty is relatively unspoilt.The natural beauty of Filipina IS NOT just "skin deep".A UK friend (of the Old School), a retired Army Conolel, visited me 10 years ago, in S'Pore on way to his brothers wedding in OZ.He was sceptical as Bro was marrying a Filipina he had never met. Now he loves visiting his S-in-Law and meeting his Pinoy friends in Melbourne. (He Adores Cristina) :444:SH1T happens in the Philippines --SH1T HAPPENS EVERYWHERE --- Even in OZ ? :444: :no:The "frustrations" of The Philippines (to me) are very easily overcome by having someone do the task for me. The pleasures I keep to myself... :SugarwareZ-037: well some!! You can share my grub and Tuba. or a BEER!Cheers Mate,That's enough for now,UK Tomps Did HE have a FIT of PEAK ??-- in the district?? SugarwareZ-007.gif Tom
IMHO that is an excellent post UK Tom. You have hit the nail on the head on many points that covers everyday life in the Philippines and I doubt that any of it will change anytime soon because much of it is so ingrained into the culture that IMO it will take a whole turn of events to work it out. Having someone to depend on definitely helps to smooth over a lot of frustrations, yet I feel that life can be smooth by just going along with how things are done there and trying to not standing out too much. I guess if I had to pick two things that bothers me the most while living in the Philippines, one would be that I have to play it low key so as to not stand out. I feel that I should not wear my diamond wedding band or my nice watch and I do not let my wife wear her engagement ring or nice watch for fear of someone wishing to have it for themselves, but that is because it is a poor country and living like a rich person when compared to the way an average Filipino has to live might cause some to want to rob us or cause others to want to overcharge us, so low key seem to be the best way to avoid both, yet I have seen Asian men walking around with real gold Rolex watches which cost about $20,000 nowadays and thinking nothing of it, so maybe it is just my perception of what might be safe and what might not. The second thing that bothers me is controversial to some, and that is having my guns for target shooting and safety and while my wife can have one or more if she wishes to, and I could use those if need be while home or with her, not being able to fully have my own rights sort of troubles me, but sometimes one has to give up something to get something else and I know that I seem to feel the best when we are in our home in Cebu, so I just have to deal with giving up that hobby if need be.

Singers
Posted
Posted (edited)
Uzi "Dear Boy",What I have learned about the Philippines IS --- ALL IMO --- IMHO even --MONEY Money AND more MONEY is the persuader !!Persuades people to vote for a particular Politican even a publicly denounced CROOK...MONEY buys votesMONEY buys "Justice"... a favourable Court decision in favour of the MONEY anyway..MONEY is the power in PI..MONEY decides Right or wrong in almost ALL conflicts -- Road accidents Etc.PEOPLE squander MONEY they come upon??, by Western thinking, on family and friends and end up back in poverty -- All happy again together... BUT a wide circle to call upon for help - perhaps ???Westerners ARE treated as honoured guests and the Pinoy has a respect for the Oldies (Like me)unlike the West --- Oops OZ excepted the young people there can have a genuine rapore with Ol farts -- like me :444: even the OZ Ladies...!!!The Philippines IS a great place to live. Cheap and VERY cheerful...The natural beauty is relatively unspoilt.The natural beauty of Filipina IS NOT just "skin deep".A UK friend (of the Old School), a retired Army Conolel, visited me 10 years ago, in S'Pore on way to his brothers wedding in OZ.He was sceptical as Bro was marrying a Filipina he had never met. Now he loves visiting his S-in-Law and meeting his Pinoy friends in Melbourne. (He Adores Cristina) :444:SH1T happens in the Philippines --SH1T HAPPENS EVERYWHERE --- Even in OZ ? :lol: :no:The "frustrations" of The Philippines (to me) are very easily overcome by having someone do the task for me. The pleasures I keep to myself... :444: well some!! You can share my grub and Tuba. or a BEER!Cheers Mate,That's enough for now,UK Tomps Did HE have a FIT of PEAK ??-- in the district?? SugarwareZ-007.gif Tom
IMHO that is an excellent post UK Tom. You have hit the nail on the head on many points that covers everyday life in the Philippines and I doubt that any of it will change anytime soon because much of it is so ingrained into the culture that IMO it will take a whole turn of events to work it out. Having someone to depend on definitely helps to smooth over a lot of frustrations, yet I feel that life can be smooth by just going along with how things are done there and trying to not standing out too much. I guess if I had to pick two things that bothers me the most while living in the Philippines, one would be that I have to play it low key so as to not stand out. I feel that I should not wear my diamond wedding band or my nice watch and I do not let my wife wear her engagement ring or nice watch for fear of someone wishing to have it for themselves, but that is because it is a poor country and living like a rich person when compared to the way an average Filipino has to live might cause some to want to rob us or cause others to want to overcharge us, so low key seem to be the best way to avoid both, yet I have seen Asian men walking around with real gold Rolex watches which cost about $20,000 nowadays and thinking nothing of it, so maybe it is just my perception of what might be safe and what might not. The second thing that bothers me is controversial to some, and that is having my guns for target shooting and safety and while my wife can have one or more if she wishes to, and I could use those if need be while home or with her, not being able to fully have my own rights sort of troubles me, but sometimes one has to give up something to get something else and I know that I seem to feel the best when we are in our home in Cebu, so I just have to deal with giving up that hobby if need be.
Thanks Lee, :th_thanx:I also Learned in PI, that "rural farming" people, look upon a trip to LTO or such place as a "Good day out" . For them to spend hours in Q's is a "treat" and in no way boring. They meet and chat with strangers and friends alike and actually find it exciting to get up-to-date info and gossip and a JollyB on Tom... and on returning to the BRGY they are the center of attention while they relate their story...What bores me is not an imposition on them which I first thought when asking such service from relatives or neighbours. They would be bored sitting on the boat - drinking a SMB and watching the scenery like me. !! My Sis in Law's have NO interest in People watching either... They have seen it all before -- to me it's "Eye Candy" ...I.M. Ex , in PI, a "walking Rolex" is usually accompanied by a "discrete" and armed bodyguard... or 2...The local Police Chief offered me a gun. I refused. There are 2 gun clubs, ranges, nearby and I could use them. I do not. My nearest Police neighbours have been the beneficiaries of new weapons and train with them on the Range with my "free" rounds... That will do me. Tex took her MacBookAir last time in PI. Next trip she will use a old HP as the "looks" (interest) when using it downtown in a WiFi restaurant are unwanted by us.Her iPhone will only be used at home in PI.We wear ordinary Luminox watches in PI.Low profile IT IS! as with our HondaTrike. HE HE HE... :SugarwareZ-037: UK Tom Edited by Singers

UZI
Posted
Posted
Uzi "Dear Boy",What I have learned about the Philippines IS --- ALL IMO --- IMHO even --MONEY Money AND more MONEY is the persuader !!Persuades people to vote for a particular Politican even a publicly denounced CROOK...MONEY buys votesMONEY buys "Justice"... a favourable Court decision in favour of the MONEY anyway..MONEY is the power in PI..MONEY decides Right or wrong in almost ALL conflicts -- Road accidents Etc.PEOPLE squander MONEY they come upon??, by Western thinking, on family and friends and end up back in poverty -- All happy again together... BUT a wide circle to call upon for help - perhaps ???Westerners ARE treated as honoured guests and the Pinoy has a respect for the Oldies (Like me)unlike the West --- Oops OZ excepted the young people there can have a genuine rapore with Ol farts -- like me :lol: even the OZ Ladies...!!!The Philippines IS a great place to live. Cheap and VERY cheerful...The natural beauty is relatively unspoilt.The natural beauty of Filipina IS NOT just "skin deep".A UK friend (of the Old School), a retired Army Conolel, visited me 10 years ago, in S'Pore on way to his brothers wedding in OZ.He was sceptical as Bro was marrying a Filipina he had never met. Now he loves visiting his S-in-Law and meeting his Pinoy friends in Melbourne. (He Adores Cristina) :444:SH1T happens in the Philippines --SH1T HAPPENS EVERYWHERE --- Even in OZ ? :444: :no:The "frustrations" of The Philippines (to me) are very easily overcome by having someone do the task for me. The pleasures I keep to myself... :lol: well some!! You can share my grub and Tuba. or a BEER!Cheers Mate,That's enough for now,UK Tomps Did HE have a FIT of PEAK ??-- in the district?? SugarwareZ-007.gif Tom
IMHO that is an excellent post UK Tom. You have hit the nail on the head on many points that covers everyday life in the Philippines and I doubt that any of it will change anytime soon because much of it is so ingrained into the culture that IMO it will take a whole turn of events to work it out. Having someone to depend on definitely helps to smooth over a lot of frustrations, yet I feel that life can be smooth by just going along with how things are done there and trying to not standing out too much. I guess if I had to pick two things that bothers me the most while living in the Philippines, one would be that I have to play it low key so as to not stand out. I feel that I should not wear my diamond wedding band or my nice watch and I do not let my wife wear her engagement ring or nice watch for fear of someone wishing to have it for themselves, but that is because it is a poor country and living like a rich person when compared to the way an average Filipino has to live might cause some to want to rob us or cause others to want to overcharge us, so low key seem to be the best way to avoid both, yet I have seen Asian men walking around with real gold Rolex watches which cost about $20,000 nowadays and thinking nothing of it, so maybe it is just my perception of what might be safe and what might not. The second thing that bothers me is controversial to some, and that is having my guns for target shooting and safety and while my wife can have one or more if she wishes to, and I could use those if need be while home or with her, not being able to fully have my own rights sort of troubles me, but sometimes one has to give up something to get something else and I know that I seem to feel the best when we are in our home in Cebu, so I just have to deal with giving up that hobby if need be.
Thanks Lee, :th_thanx:I also Learned in PI, that "rural farming" people, look upon a trip to LTO or such place as a "Good day out" . For them to spend hours in Q's is a "treat" and in no way boring. They meet and chat with strangers and friends alike and actually find it exciting to get up-to-date info and gossip and a JollyB on Tom... and on returning to the BRGY they are the center of attention while they relate their story...What bores me is not an imposition on them which I first thought when asking such service from relatives or neighbours. They would be bored sitting on the boat - drinking a SMB and watching the scenery like me. !! My Sis in Law's have NO interest in People watching either... They have seen it all before -- to me it's "Eye Candy" ...I.M. Ex , in PI, a "walking Rolex" is usually accompanied by a "discrete" and armed bodyguard... or 2...The local Police Chief offered me a gun. I refused. There are 2 gun clubs, ranges, nearby and I could use them. I do not. My nearest Police neighbours have been the beneficiaries of new weapons and train with them on the Range with my "free" rounds... That will do me. Tex took her MacBookAir last time in PI. Next trip she will use a old HP as the "looks" (interest) when using it downtown in a WiFi restaurant are unwanted by us.Her iPhone will only be used at home in PI.We wear ordinary Luminox watches in PI.Low profile IT IS! as with our HondaTrike. HE HE HE... :444: UK Tom
:SugarwareZ-037: Good post but who ARE you & what have you done with Tom :444:Seriously & back to the topic. A lot of life in the provinces harks back to how things were when we were kids. Neighbors helping each other, strong community spirit, anything more than a few miles away was like another world that meant days of organizing with picnic prepared for the trip. A more innocent time before we all had cars & the internet hadn't made the world so small.I have read many times about how we, as 'rich' foreigners who know more, can help change things here for the better. Lobo earlier suggested
i am doing my best to get the expats here to get their wives into politics and steer this ship into a better direction..
If only that would work we could all start to make a difference in our communities but unfortunately it is more likely to be viewed as foreign interference. He also pointed out helping the kids. This IMHO is the very best we can do to change things. Many Expats I know, help their families kids education, one I know sponsors the local basketball team. Another goes to Manila & teaches the street kids soccer.Dee & I help with our local orphanage and get involved with things like this
AWH homeowners association presents the 2nd Musika Series Concert on June 5, Saturday, Social Hall Main Clubhouse, 7:45 PM. The premier Filipino pianist Raul Sunico will perform for the benefit of the Ayala Westgrove Heights Scholarship Fund. The beneficiary of this fund raising is the Lingap Foundation. Poor but deserving students around Laguna are sent to high school and colleges through the foundation.
We get to experience a great Filipino artist Philstar article
and help, with others, to better a kids life. A Win WinLots of small changes can add up to a big difference in the future. Just my dalawa centavosUzi.

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

One of the things that many of us can do that some people seem to discount is, to post things on forums. Governments have people who want to know what we are thinking. :SugarwareZ-037: I know this for a fact because I have had people contact me during the times that I have been on forums. They may like to make out that it is their ideas but they have to get those ideas from somewhere. Newspapers also read forums to get ideas. I know this also to be a fact. I have had a few things I have posted over time show up as things government wanted to do and I am but one person and I am sure there have had to be many other things that people posted that have been tried or done. One thing I posted was making Cebu a second home destination, another was making the Philippines the shopping mecca or Asia, coincidence that they were picked up within a month or two, maybe but they used my posts almost word for word in both instances where I said things such as, if each expat spends the equivalent of $1000 each and you have 100,000 expats living within the Philippines and doing that, and I made one post exactly saying about the Philippines could become the shopping mecca of Asia and the news and the government picked it up word for word. We can all make a difference by saying things in the right way and not demanding that they listen and do as we ask. So my point is, that this is part of what I have learned over time. Most people in power like to have people think of the ideas as their own and not as ours, so we can feed them with information and they may accept some of it and slowly change. For instance, if someone was to post how the retirement program in say, Costa Rica or Panama worked and that they are getting x number of foreigners moving there per year, then maybe the Philippine government might look at the programs those countries have and try to alter theirs to work similar. It surely cannot hurt to try and since we all know of the face issue within the Philippines, it can never be rammed down their throats or they will never accept it, but we can all make a difference if we give it a try and the worst that could happen is our posts fall on deaf ears but once they hear it over and over again from different people and on different forums, then maybe they will all of a sudden develop hearing aids. :444: So am I tooting my own horn, absolutely not, I am telling each and everyone of you that you can make a difference if you just give it a try. 

Singers
Posted
Posted (edited)
:welcome: Good post but who ARE you & what have you done with Tom :hystery:Seriously & back to the topic. A lot of life in the provinces harks back to how things were when we were kids. Neighbors helping each other, strong community spirit, anything more than a few miles away was like another world that meant days of organizing with picnic prepared for the trip. A more innocent time before we all had cars & the internet hadn't made the world so small.I have read many times about how we, as 'rich' foreigners who know more, can help change things here for the better. Lobo earlier suggested
i am doing my best to get the expats here to get their wives into politics and steer this ship into a better direction..
If only that would work we could all start to make a difference in our communities but unfortunately it is more likely to be viewed as foreign interference. He also pointed out helping the kids. This IMHO is the very best we can do to change things. Many Expats I know, help their families kids education, one I know sponsors the local basketball team. Another goes to Manila & teaches the street kids soccer.Dee & I help with our local orphanage and get involved with things like this
AWH homeowners association presents the 2nd Musika Series Concert on June 5, Saturday, Social Hall Main Clubhouse, 7:45 PM. The premier Filipino pianist Raul Sunico will perform for the benefit of the Ayala Westgrove Heights Scholarship Fund. The beneficiary of this fund raising is the Lingap Foundation. Poor but deserving students around Laguna are sent to high school and colleges through the foundation.
and help, with others, to better a kids life. A Win WinLots of small changes can add up to a big difference in the future. Just my dalawa centavos.
Hi Uzi Young man,That "clip" IS BRILLIANT.... The intro could accompany you and I looking for a "OPEN" Pub with Jake as the PathFinder... :DOur last BBox had new trainers for our BRGY BBall team.. and I will have a full time interest when I settle there. (we sponsor the Pinoy BBall team here in Worcestershire.)in PI Tex's father donated the ground for the BRGY Court which fronts the road in front of Cristina's building plot and "our" entrance is along side the Court and a Sis live either side of the Court/entrance to what may be a new house for us. Next to them is Bro's and then Cousins.So to call on me would be down "Eyes Alley" should I decide to build there.We now live 1/4 mile away on the bank of the river and father owns the land either side and back of us. Nearest house R or L side is 500 Mtrs.In front, it is 100 mt clear ground and next houses a well armed Policeman's home - 1%20%2872%29.gif either side - and the road is fronted by the Chapel and School. Our house is unseen from the road or from the opposite bank.!Rumour has it, spread by the school kids, that I have had the perimeter fitted with Lasers "that will blind" intruders. Kids Ha Ha ha....There are NO firearms in our house. (4 Kukuri around somewhere though.) :444: No It is what I have learned about personal Security in Pi and addresses Mr Lee's comment of being bereft of his hobby.. Should a Policeman shoot an intruder the incident will not involve me. Should I shoot an intruder I would have to move to another Island!!! Minimum...:wasntme: suits me!.My YANKEE friend 1/2 mile away has "funded" his Sis-in-Law's involvement in Politics and that works as his Asawa is not seen as being involved?? Tex's Bro and eldest Sis are active politically... Tex IS NOT involved in politics .... Though keeping her mouth SHUT during election time is a full-time effort for me... THERE IS a way! SugarwareZ-024.gif I am reliably informed ... I am constantly courted ??? by local Politicians but I take no part in PI Politics AT ALL!!! I will get involved with Charities/Orphanages with my eyes WIDE OPEN for "anomalies" ???? Not the pilfering kind??. :as-if: Has Jake found a cold Beer yet?? :cheers: UK Tom :gday: :cheersty: Edited by Singers

mike
Posted
Posted
One of the things that many of us can do that some people seem to discount is, to post things on forums. Governments have people who want to know what we are thinking. :welcome: I know this for a fact because I have had people contact me during the times that I have been on forums. They may like to make out that it is their ideas but they have to get those ideas from somewhere. Newspapers also read forums to get ideas. I know this also to be a fact. I have had a few things I have posted over time show up as things government wanted to do and I am but one person and I am sure there have had to be many other things that people posted that have been tried or done. One thing I posted was making Cebu a second home destination, another was making the Philippines the shopping mecca or Asia, coincidence that they were picked up within a month or two, maybe but they used my posts almost word for word in both instances where I said things such as, if each expat spends the equivalent of $1000 each and you have 100,000 expats living within the Philippines and doing that, and I made one post exactly saying about the Philippines could become the shopping mecca of Asia and the news and the government picked it up word for word. We can all make a difference by saying things in the right way and not demanding that they listen and do as we ask. So my point is, that this is part of what I have learned over time. Most people in power like to have people think of the ideas as their own and not as ours, so we can feed them with information and they may accept some of it and slowly change. For instance, if someone was to post how the retirement program in say, Costa Rica or Panama worked and that they are getting x number of foreigners moving there per year, then maybe the Philippine government might look at the programs those countries have and try to alter theirs to work similar. It surely cannot hurt to try and since we all know of the face issue within the Philippines, it can never be rammed down their throats or they will never accept it, but we can all make a difference if we give it a try and the worst that could happen is our posts fall on deaf ears but once they hear it over and over again from different people and on different forums, then maybe they will all of a sudden develop hearing aids. :cheersty: So am I tooting my own horn, absolutely not, I am telling each and everyone of you that you can make a difference if you just give it a try.
"So my point is, that this is part of what I have learned over time. Most people in power like to have people think of the ideas as their own and not as ours, so we can feed them with information and they may accept some of it and slowly change. For instance, if someone was to post how the retirement program in say, Costa Rica or Panama worked and that they are getting x number of foreigners moving there per year, then maybe the Philippine government might look at the programs those countries have and try to alter theirs to work similar. It surely cannot hurt to try and since we all know of the face issue within the Philippines"For the retirement program it has been 25 years slow, more than enough time to have retired twice. Good news is the PRA is no longer running with this ball the DOT are now calling the shots. The DOT came to the meeting on time, fully prepared and aware of the issues. Major changes can be expected. BTW the PRA knows all about retirement programes offered elsewhere in SE Asia . They receive the details and get updated when ever there is a change.The only effective method of making any difference is the review of the PRA role and its reason for existence. The DOT have this in hand.Sometimes a well planned and documented approach with a unified cross country representation can also have a positive impact. The key players representing SRRV members have been very direct and effective in their representations.Once the academic review has been undertaken and papers published. I will update more on this particular issue which I think will become more important to those of us who choose to live here as permanent residents. For those who choose alternative Visas to meet their specific requirements what happens with the retirement program may have no bearing.mike

Singers
Posted
Posted (edited)
One of the things that many of us can do that some people seem to discount is, to post things on forums. Governments have people who want to know what we are thinking. :welcome: I know this for a fact because I have had people contact me during the times that I have been on forums. They may like to make out that it is their ideas but they have to get those ideas from somewhere. Newspapers also read forums to get ideas. I know this also to be a fact. I have had a few things I have posted over time show up as things government wanted to do and I am but one person and I am sure there have had to be many other things that people posted that have been tried or done. One thing I posted was making Cebu a second home destination, another was making the Philippines the shopping mecca or Asia, coincidence that they were picked up within a month or two, maybe but they used my posts almost word for word in both instances where I said things such as, if each expat spends the equivalent of $1000 each and you have 100,000 expats living within the Philippines and doing that, and I made one post exactly saying about the Philippines could become the shopping mecca of Asia and the news and the government picked it up word for word. We can all make a difference by saying things in the right way and not demanding that they listen and do as we ask. So my point is, that this is part of what I have learned over time. Most people in power like to have people think of the ideas as their own and not as ours, so we can feed them with information and they may accept some of it and slowly change. For instance, if someone was to post how the retirement program in say, Costa Rica or Panama worked and that they are getting x number of foreigners moving there per year, then maybe the Philippine government might look at the programs those countries have and try to alter theirs to work similar. It surely cannot hurt to try and since we all know of the face issue within the Philippines, it can never be rammed down their throats or they will never accept it, but we can all make a difference if we give it a try and the worst that could happen is our posts fall on deaf ears but once they hear it over and over again from different people and on different forums, then maybe they will all of a sudden develop hearing aids. :cheersty: So am I tooting my own horn, absolutely not, I am telling each and everyone of you that you can make a difference if you just give it a try.
"So my point is, that this is part of what I have learned over time. Most people in power like to have people think of the ideas as their own and not as ours, so we can feed them with information and they may accept some of it and slowly change. For instance, if someone was to post how the retirement program in say, Costa Rica or Panama worked and that they are getting x number of foreigners moving there per year, then maybe the Philippine government might look at the programs those countries have and try to alter theirs to work similar. It surely cannot hurt to try and since we all know of the face issue within the Philippines"For the retirement program it has been 25 years slow, more than enough time to have retired twice. Good news is the PRA is no longer running with this ball the DOT are now calling the shots. The DOT came to the meeting on time, fully prepared and aware of the issues. Major changes can be expected. BTW the PRA knows all about retirement programes offered elsewhere in SE Asia . They receive the details and get updated when ever there is a change.The only effective method of making any difference is the review of the PRA role and its reason for existence. The DOT have this in hand.Sometimes a well planned and documented approach with a unified cross country representation can also have a positive impact. The key players representing SRRV members have been very direct and effective in their representations.Once the academic review has been undertaken and papers published. I will update more on this particular issue which I think will become more important to those of us who choose to live here as permanent residents. For those who choose alternative Visas to meet their specific requirements what happens with the retirement program may have no bearing.mike
Hi Mike,You possess an analytical and informed mind and IMO your post in this vein is far too important to be embedded in any Topic other than a dedicated "Important PI Gov update's re exPat's" or some such title.:AddEmoticons04230:Many thanks &Kind regards,UK Tom Edited by Singers

Travis
Posted
Posted

I believe I have learned that Philippine culture seems to be fascinated with ghosts white ladies or whatever people call them as well as lots of superstitions. While watching TV & finding nothing else on to watch- I have come across a lot of what I think are Philippine soap operas & as much as I can tell from them cuz I do not understand whatever they are saying except when they switch to English- they seem to show a lot of ghosts so I wonder if this is rooted deep in their culture or is it just what they seem to like to watch on TV? I personally think that it is sort of weird but many things here are done differently than I am used to so maybe it is me who is weird.

Singers
Posted
Posted
I believe I have learned that Philippine culture seems to be fascinated with ghosts white ladies or whatever people call them as well as lots of superstitions. While watching TV & finding nothing else on to watch- I have come across a lot of what I think are Philippine soap operas & as much as I can tell from them cuz I do not understand whatever they are saying except when they switch to English- they seem to show a lot of ghosts so I wonder if this is rooted deep in their culture or is it just what they seem to like to watch on TV? I personally think that it is sort of weird but many things here are done differently than I am used to so maybe it is me who is weird.
No "ME 2" as far as PI TV goes. Watching 4 2seconds is enough 4 me (see Texting)Seriously (He he he) Grost's, superstitions and signs ( It is a sign of coming DOOM) all negative are taken VERY seriously..I ask the family often "when will we have a "Sign" of goof fortune" I am scolded and told "Please don't Mock or the Ghosts will haunt you" ... :welcome: UK Tom