What Have You Learned About The Philippines

mike
Posted
Posted
I believe I have learned that Philippine culture seems to be fascinated with ghosts white ladies or whatever people call them as well as lots of superstitions. While watching TV & finding nothing else on to watch- I have come across a lot of what I think are Philippine soap operas & as much as I can tell from them cuz I do not understand whatever they are saying except when they switch to English- they seem to show a lot of ghosts so I wonder if this is rooted deep in their culture or is it just what they seem to like to watch on TV? I personally think that it is sort of weird but many things here are done differently than I am used to so maybe it is me who is weird.
No "ME 2" as far as PI TV goes. Watching 4 2seconds is enough 4 me (see Texting)Seriously (He he he) Grost's, superstitions and signs ( It is a sign of coming DOOM) all negative are taken VERY seriously..I ask the family often "when will we have a "Sign" of goof fortune" I am scolded and told "Please don't Mock or the Ghosts will haunt you" ... :welcome: UK Tom
Now you know why my old bar was called Spooks.36_6_3[1].gif.....if you cant beat them join them 7_3_205[1].gif

Singers
Posted
Posted
I believe I have learned that Philippine culture seems to be fascinated with ghosts white ladies or whatever people call them as well as lots of superstitions. While watching TV & finding nothing else on to watch- I have come across a lot of what I think are Philippine soap operas & as much as I can tell from them cuz I do not understand whatever they are saying except when they switch to English- they seem to show a lot of ghosts so I wonder if this is rooted deep in their culture or is it just what they seem to like to watch on TV? I personally think that it is sort of weird but many things here are done differently than I am used to so maybe it is me who is weird.
No "ME 2" as far as PI TV goes. Watching 4 2seconds is enough 4 me (see Texting)Seriously (He he he) Grost's, superstitions and signs ( It is a sign of coming DOOM) all negative are taken VERY seriously..I ask the family often "when will we have a "Sign" of goof fortune" I am scolded and told "Please don't Mock or the Ghosts will haunt you" ... :welcome: UK Tom
Now you know why my old bar was called Spooks.36_6_3[1].gif.....if you cant beat them join them 7_3_205[1].gif
A "ROSE" by any name IS still a ROSE !!!..... :cheersty: He he he :hystery:

Inspector
Posted
Posted
wow how quickly an innocent post turns into a PILE -ON - KANO FEEDING FRENZY.. i guess they could all be speaking japanese...
Hello Lobo, Please enlighten me as to the meaning of your comment -- "PILE -ON - KANO FEEDING FRENZY".. -- Perhaps I can join in??.Many thanks,UK Tom :cheersty: :551:
think of it as rugby and america is the football... maybe that helps huh??my pinay wife (53) has been reading these anti american jabs and slights and the blaming of the AMERICANS for how the filipinos are and the AMERICANS MADE THEM THIS WAY BULLsh&t...her parents raised her telling her how good the AMERICANS were to them whenever they had contact with them and that they were always generous and respectful and kind to them and their needs.. i dont think my wife is a liar... she suggests that you read the real history of the filipins going back to when the spanish invaded and turned them all into slaves along with the catholic church who to this day dictate to the population EVERY THOUGHT THEY HAVE AND WHO THEY WILL VOTE FOR..as evidenced in last weeks election.. w/o the churches endorsement AQUINO would not have enjoyed such a margin as he did.. that is fact..... in case you havent noticed when you look around the entire country is built in spanish architecture.. its not because it is quaint and fashionable..the fact is that the filipino has never had their own identity and never will.. (the lack of self confidence you refer to is genuine and endemic)they have been enslaved by everybody BUT THE AMERICANS who to this day are pumping millions on a daily basis to keep this lost paradise afloat and of course to keep them as allies..the purpose of the government is to keep the people poor and as ignorant as possible and they are doing an excellent job.. the expressions on the faces of the people reflect their dilemma and is from centuries of subjugation , exploitation and a constant nagging poverty that they see no end to and rightfully so.. from the president all the way down to the barangay captains and everyone in between they have their thumbs pressed firmly down on the people who just want some of the action... its normal to be swindled here, yes.. its a way of life they have learned and i havent met anyone yet here that doesnt live that way.. deal with it and adjust your life accordingly is my only advice..ive made friends with everyone from the mayor to the thieves and murderers and i trust the criminals more.. a few cigarettes and a p27 bottle of ginebra and youve got someone watching your back that no one else will f#@k with.. that is a fact.. my biggest gripe is that you can never be alone here..ever, unless you buy 30 hectares on the mountain and then you still have to fence it and have guard dogs.. the place is spiraling out of control population wise and so LIKE RATS IN A MAZE THE PATH BEFORE US LIES.. IM NOT A JADED ARROGANT AMERICAN a**h*le.. im generous and give and help all i can and it pays me dividends.. adults will back bite you regardless of how much you help them , but i have found my true allies to be their kids who remain very loyal and always come and tell me what is being said behind my back... and trust me whoever you are , wherever you are , if you are white someone is talking behind your back everyday.. beyond daily survival they have no lives and so you are the topic at any time and it matters not how much you are helping... someone is not happy about it.. when i first came here i lived at aplaya.. on the beach in squatterville.. beautiful location spoiled by you guessed it.. a young girl needed her tooth fixed and so i took her to the dentist.. from that point on i was her keeper and quickly was asked to adopt her.. or just take her and she is yours.. she is 12 yrs old.. the situation got seriously ridiculous and i had a hard time keeping her out of my house and she was into everything she could put her hands on.. eventually i put an end to it and from that point on i could count on having my roof stoned on any random night.. here it is the squatters revenge.. next i gave a halloween party which no one had had ever seen or done.. it went ok and lots of kids got cash prizes for their home made outfits.. it was fun..next i gave a christmas party for about 60 close neighbors kids and it was a disaster .. i had a santa costume made for only p600 and one of the uncles played santa.. it went well until outside squatters invaded the food line and were pushing my little guests out of the way just to get some free macaroni and soda pop.. women holding babies were stuffing food and sodas between themselves and their babies and the scene was pathetic.. i stopped everything and pulled the tables back and handed the rest of it out myself one at a time.. after that santa gave out gifts to everyone whos name was on the list and it went well.. some of the girls performed a little dance for us that they had been practicing and i videoed them and then one of my neighbors started up the videoke for them.. my wife was so angry and ashamed at the adults crashing in and she quickly told them so.. that night our house was stoned ... after that we stopped trying to do things and basically it wasnt fun anymore.. my greedy landlord kept raising the rent and despite the renters law the sheriff and bar captain took their side , so i moved off of the beach and into a nice place about a mile away.. we didnt see any of the kids for a while, so we went back to remind them that we still loved them and missed them and eventually they started visiting us and now we see them regularly.. one if them told us that a rumor was spread that we steal kids and sell them, so none of them were allowed to visit us .. i went to the beach and discussed it in as calm a manner as i could and now things are better for the kids again.. they come and eat those nasty green mangos off my trees and they love them.. they run and play in my lawn sprinkler which is like a day at the water park for them.. we live as far out in the province here as you can go in lobo batangas.. a google search of la verdes passage will show you that it is the center of the center of the wolds most diverse marine environment with over 60% of all marine life living here.. and of course they are ruining it as fast as they can..one thing i love though is that there are no fishing boats that pollute the water.. all of them have inboard non-water cooled briggs and stratten engines made in china and leave no petrol behind.. to explain why the squatters have the best beach front properties in the nation is easy.. they werent wanted in the cities anywhere.. they were long ago pushed to the shores to eek out their living and there they remain today.. you see the filipinos have no love or desire to live anywhere near the beautiful shores , so in the past they didnt care who lived there and it was relegated to the poor.. out of sight out of mind.. now though the big fight is on to reclaim it all after it has been ruined with human waste to the point that it is probably not reclaimable.. they still use the shore as a toilet here and it is a sad situation.. i am doing my best and slowly making inroads with the politicos here to address these problems and to see it from a tourist/development angle which is the only way to get any interest from them.. my former biz was solid waste disposal in the states , but have no d illusions that i could pull that off here... but i am educatiing and pushing for it all the time , but it is an art knowing when to push and when to pull... i have allies and everyones agenda must be met in order to succeed at just one project.. they are now beginning to see that they have an opportunity to be a model community/barangay/county and save some environment while profiting at the same time.. as always roads , sewage and trash are the 3 big items.. i am doing my best to get the expats here to get their wives into politics and steer this ship into a better direction..sorry to have hi-jacked this post ... study groups like WHO and the ASIAN WORLD BANK and the monies SENT FROM THE WICKED AMERICANS for the development of certified landfills and sewage treatment plants and water resource conservation and human rights and ad-infinitum and ask yourselves where are these projects.. its billions of dollars... im sorry about the arrogant kanos.. thats life.. its d fils you know..:7522:
applause1234363884.gifSPOT ON!

Inspector
Posted
Posted

I have learned that while wading in a low tide beach, the seaweed wrapped around your leg is usually a used babies diaper....do not grab it.

lobo
Posted
Posted
I have learned that while wading in a low tide beach, the seaweed wrapped around your leg is usually a used babies diaper....do not grab it.
I AM REALLY REALLY REALLY RESISTING THIS.....

Jake
Posted
Posted
I know Lobo, I could also make negative comments with my own experiences windsurfing in Batangas and Cavite beaches, located south of Manila. But just to be fair, here in southern California, the nearest place to camp out or to go swimming is Lake Perris. It's one of the fresh water reservoirs that provide our drinking water. I was shock to find similar "trash" and other hazardous items. And finally, I wonder what the locals are saying when that off shore oil rig is still spewing millions of gallons of crude oil alongthe Gulf coast. Some say it was an accident waiting to happen due to corporate greed, incompetence and blatant violations of all safety standards. And again just to be fair, there will always be news articles about finding "salvaged" victims/body parts floating in Pasig River which runs through the city of Manila.I have tried to be a one man campaign against public littering but I'm just an insignificant bottom feeder.Inspector knows my frustration -- we are both familiar with sh&t river in Olongapo (my hometown).Respectfully -- Jake

Inspector
Posted
Posted
Bring it on...hard lobo. I enjoy it hard as you have been doing.SugarwareZ-225.gifI was at a beach in Minglanilla...not Palm, but near a badminton club where sexpat whales float in the pool. I had my pitbull terrier in the water, and the trash was all around, and I had something wrap around my leg...it was a used baby diaper. I don't go in the east river in NYC, despite my dad's claim that grandpa used to swim from Manhattan to Brooklyn with a bag of apples in his teeth...now?...I wouldn't put my toe in it.

Travis
Posted
Posted
Bring it on...hard lobo. I enjoy it hard as you have been doing.SugarwareZ-225.gifI was at a beach in Minglanilla...not Palm, but near a badminton club where sexpat whales float in the pool. I had my pitbull terrier in the water, and the trash was all around, and I had something wrap around my leg...it was a used baby diaper. I don't go in the east river in NYC, despite my dad's claim that grandpa used to swim from Manhattan to Brooklyn with a bag of apples in his teeth...now?...I wouldn't put my toe in it.
dealing with trash here has been hard for me both the human type who float on pools of water & look like whales hehehe & the street dirt garbage people just toss at will but if you wish to go swimming in a cleaner water & see cleaner streets then try the west coast near toledo coz it was clean the last time I went there to visit a ladies family with her a few months ago & I would move there if there were better malls to walk around coz there is less of the human trash there or at least I did not see any

Inspector
Posted
Posted
I know Lobo, I could also make negative comments with my own experiences windsurfing in Batangas and Cavite beaches, located south of Manila. But just to be fair, here in southern California, the nearest place to camp out or to go swimming is Lake Perris. It's one of the fresh water reservoirs that provide our drinking water. I was shock to find similar "trash" and other hazardous items. And finally, I wonder what the locals are saying when that off shore oil rig is still spewing millions of gallons of crude oil alongthe Gulf coast. Some say it was an accident waiting to happen due to corporate greed, incompetence and blatant violations of all safety standards. And again just to be fair, there will always be news articles about finding "salvaged" victims/body parts floating in Pasig River which runs through the city of Manila.I have tried to be a one man campaign against public littering but I'm just an insignificant bottom feeder.Inspector knows my frustration -- we are both familiar with sh&t river in Olongapo (my hometown).Respectfully -- Jake
I was reading an article about shet river Jake, that it was threatening the bay itself. Too...many.....people!

Sampaguita
Posted
Posted

:AddEmoticons04230:   I am just happy you are all learning, no matter what you learn it will make your lives in the Philippines easier by being able to accept what is since we all know it will be a long time before any meaningful changes come about.