Must Be More Clubs

DScott
Posted
Posted

Just been reading the topics about clubs here but there is not much listed. i now have spare time and would like to join some sort of club.Are there other clubs in Cebu for retired men to join. In my case not to physical but something that has a friendly membership and not dominated by ones status.Suggestions please.Don

Singers
Posted
Posted (edited)
Just been reading the topics about clubs here but there is not much listed. i now have spare time and would like to join some sort of club.Are there other clubs in Cebu for retired men to join. In my case not to physical but something that has a friendly membership and not dominated by ones status.Suggestions please.Don
Hi Don,Do you mean the peaceful "Gentlemans Club" type -- Meet - greet - chat - relax - dine Etc??. Stating what YOU would like may bring more info. and if no such Club , as you seek, in Cebu you may catch a few like minded souls interest in your search and start a Club.?In Tacloban we have the US-Legion which meets once a week and is friendly and very supportive and fits the CLUB need foe us.Far to lax rules, though, means there are -- DooM... members Just my musings on this topic.UK Tom :551: :7522: th_whatsup.gif :cheersty: Edited by Mr. Lee
edit out race type insult

DScott
Posted
Posted
Hi Don,Do you mean the peaceful "Gentlemans Club" type -- Meet - greet - chat - relax - dine Etc??. Stating what YOU would like may bring more info. and if no such Club , as you seek, in Cebu you may catch a few like minded souls interest in your search and start a Club.?In Tacloban we have the US-Legion which meets once a week and is friendly and very supportive and fits the CLUB need foe us.Far to lax rules, though, means there are -- DooM... members Just my musings on this topic.UK Tom :551: :7522: th_whatsup.gif :cheersty:
Thanks UK TomCan I tell you that I really don't know what type of club I wish to involve myself in. What I was thinking is if there was some sort of list then something might grab my attention.I never have really been into clubs before so this makes me a newbie.Not the sort to start my own club but suggestion is noted    :tiphat:Don

Travis
Posted
Posted
I know there are social type events that starts at the sand trap but I do not know the name & this forum has get togethers when Lee is in Cebu so maybe watch for 1 of those & go to 1. I have met or observed quite a few people here in Cebu & to tell the truth there are not many that I would wish to hang around with coz I do not like drunkard loud mouths types & certain other types of s expats. I have gone to some of the open get togethers or just walked by & not told them who I was & just sat or stood & observed how people acted & what they talked about & to me most were not my type so I never interacted with them & I only meet who I wish to from this forum & skip most from other forums but that is just how I am which is basically a hermit so I get along fine by myself & with my few friends. what is that song I gotta be me hehehe yes.gif I hope I have not insulted anyone by snubbing them but life is too short to have people in my inner circle whose lifestyle I do not like

tropicalwaste
Posted
Posted

Good question Dscott and to be honest I think we should do more to promote things.. the big problem is locations though as we are spread all across Cebu so I am in Minglanilla for example and a lot of the guys are central Cebu, Lil-oan or Banilad.What people might be better doing to start things off though is listing where they go! e.g. Badminton Tuesday at XXX, Soccer games Saturday morning at XXX etc etc. and build a picture up of the locations. I did meet owners of a new place opening up in Talisay which seems to be mainly expats at the moment will be interesting to see how that develops as its near me.Traveler - Nothing wrong with picking your friends... I have been here on and off 3 years now and generally everyone seems to pick people out of the masses as personalities and lifestyles are so different from one Expat to another. so nothing wrong with what your doing. I have had "beer meet ups" and too many lately to be honest with Expats but I have also driven across half the island just to sit and talk with people on their own about business. Friendship is something earned so i respect your thoughts.

DScott
Posted
Posted (edited)
Good question Dscott and to be honest I think we should do more to promote things.. the big problem is locations though as we are spread all across Cebu so I am in Minglanilla for example and a lot of the guys are central Cebu, Lil-oan or Banilad.What people might be better doing to start things off though is listing where they go! e.g. Badminton Tuesday at XXX, Soccer games Saturday morning at XXX etc etc. and build a picture up of the locations. I did meet owners of a new place opening up in Talisay which seems to be mainly expats at the moment will be interesting to see how that develops as its near me.Traveler - Nothing wrong with picking your friends... I have been here on and off 3 years now and generally everyone seems to pick people out of the masses as personalities and lifestyles are so different from one Expat to another. so nothing wrong with what your doing. I have had "beer meet ups" and too many lately to be honest with Expats but I have also driven across half the island just to sit and talk with people on their own about business. Friendship is something earned so i respect your thoughts.
Great suggestion tropical. Perhaps other members can add what they do for pleasure or hobbies,sports,socializing,etc and then we all can get a better idea of what is out there.Don Edited by DScott

• 4 months later...
BigMoneyBruce
Posted
Posted

Maybe we should start 3 new threads naming them each for their region ie. Central Cebu social club, Northern Cebu social club and Southern Cebu social club. I think that way members can meet with others that are close buy and discuss what they like to do and what is in there area to do for activities.

• 4 months later...
Call me bubba
Posted
Posted

should you live in manila or near you could try the MANILA ELKS CLUB. in the old days it was just a few meters from the embassy.now a childrens museum, Currently located across from Greenbelt 1.same bldg as American chamber of commerce.

• 1 year later...
Bil Brock
Posted
Posted
should you live in manila or near you could try the MANILA ELKS CLUB. in the old days it was just a few meters from the embassy.now a childrens museum,Currently located across from Greenbelt 1.same bldg as American chamber of commerce.
My wife & I have been looking forward to visiting the Elks in Manila. We live in Cebu & have not been to Manila for a long time. But next time we are there we will be sure to visit BPOE 761 Manila.

• 1 month later...
jode
Posted
Posted (edited)

I think this would be a good topic to be revived. I also am a bit of a loner and can be content without too much socializing. However its fun to exchange ideas and experiences with other expats on occaision in person.

Some here say they are content to mostly socialize with locals, usually partners family. They must have more highly educated partners family than i have. Most here with only a high school education or less speak little english. Some say they understand more than it seems they do, but most seem reluctant to try to use what english they know in speaking, to avoid the possible embarrassment of making a mistake.

So when with a group of locals it usually means sitting on the side, by yourself, while they yak away in visayan, hardly satisfying a persons need to socialize. My partner has learned the good manners of at least keeping me somewhat informed about what they are talking about, but still far from the bonding with others most need to be socialy satisfied. So therefore most expats end up seeking out others more like themselves to socialize with. Most filipinas do the same when and if they get to your country, I have heard.

I enjoy a beer or two or three on occaision but usually try to avoid the most common kind of socializing with expats here, which is slamming them down with other ex-pats. There are usually one or two in the group that are in the belligerant or paranoid phase of alcololism and that can get annoying and uncomfortable for those like myself who just want to have a couple beers, relax and tell stories. I don't like to compete when the standard of merit is the ammount of alcohol consumed and you end of drinking more than you wish you did afterwards.

There also is the out to get something from you friendliness. Many posts here relate experiences meeting expats who seem friendly, but on talking to them you find out what the motivation is for their friendliness. They may be expats who came here with a minimal income, or have gone through the small pile they had when they came, and are now hoping you can supliment it in one way or another. Frankly I have gotten more than enough of that kind of friendliness from filipinas. I certainly don't need more of that rap from the ex-pats i meet. Don't need your business or investment oppurtunity, and if I want to give to charity it will be to homeless children, not an expat who wants to stretch his time with his gf and away from real work.

There are places that expats gather to just be with other ex-pats and talk. One i have heard of is the McDonalds near island mall in lapu lapu. Most mornings a group starts to gather there about 9am just to drink coffee and socialize. Another is the Outsiders club that i have mentioned in another post. Another gathering is at the bowling center next to Country mall in Banilad. Every Wednsday shortly after noon a group gathers to bowl a few games and socialize. They are open to new members and seem to be a group mostly of guys been here for awhile and with older wives who also socialize among themselves. Country village in cordova is a little oasis of paradise and a great place to swim, eat and socialize. It is owned by a norwegian and a place especially for those who speak norse to gather.

Lets have some more input from others who know of places to go where an ex-pat might satisfy his need to socialize with others in his own language. Maybe there are old posts about places but since things can change with time, how about an update and because you mentioned a place a couple years ago lets do it again for newer members.

Edited by jode