Monthly Expenses

Genius
Posted
Posted

Do not be upset if you actually find more 'mentals' instead!

wingmanPI
Posted
Posted
I've been in the Philippines for 3 months now and I think I've got enough spending history to provide an accurate budget for our monthly living expenses. The expenses listed are for a modest lifestyle for my wife and I. We do not drink or smoke, we dine out 2-3 times a month, and do not purchase too many Western food products. When we shop, we almost always buy at the local market, not the mall. The exception is groceries,Our total monthly budget is 17,800 php or $371 ( 1 USD=48php)Rent- 5000phpOur apartment is a 2-bedroom about 65sqm in size. It's pretty basic with cement floors, no hot water and a Filipino style comfort room. When we need hot water for bathing or cleaning, we heat it on the stove. I attached pics of our apartment, but I lost the original image files and only had a Word Doc with the pics in it.Electricity- 500phpThe temperature is very mild in Baguio so AC is never needed. For 500 php we get normal household use including a 6.0 cu. ft. refrigerator and a laptop and modem running 24/7.Water- FREEWater is included in our rent. This does not include free drinking water. Drinking water is rolled up into our grocery budget.Cable TV- 550phpBasic Philippines cable TV lineup. Nothing special here.Internet and Telephone- 1800phpI do contract technical writing and medical transcription with various US based employers so I've opted for a 1mbps Internet connection, which costs more. A normal 384 kbps connection costs 999php.Groceries- 5000phpThis is the area that fluctuates the most, but we always spend 5k or less on groceries. We eat meat (chicken, pork, or beef)every day, sometimes 2-3 times a day. We buy very few Western brands, usually dairy products, condiments, or spices. We shop almost exclusively at SM for meat and dry goods. Produce and eggs we buy at the local market.Transportation- 2000phpThis includes taxis around town and bus fare to visit family in the provinces and Manila. We seldom take jeepneys. Baguio is pretty small and you can get most anywhere in town for under 70php one way in a taxi. For this budget, we get one out of town bus trip for 2 per month and about 10-15 round trip taxi rides.Misc- 3000phpThis is our catch-all category for things like clothes, medicine, doctor bills, LPG tank refills, family assistance etc. We have yet to spend more than 500php in any single month from this budget. What is unspent is rolled over to our emergency fund to cover those big unexpected expenses. Once we get to 50k in that fund, this monthly expense will be reduced based on historical spending.
nice pics of the apartment. pretty decent place for only 5,000 php per month. from what I understand it pays off to look around for awhile and be patient tofind the good deals.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
Hey Art2ro,Thus far I'm inclined to agree but if I may respectfully refer to the post #54... I was hoping for " Mentors " when we land @ Cebu. : )
I'm sure if you ask near the time of arriving someone will help you out if they are in Cebu but having said that most read forums and ask advice before hand so know what to expect.Most arrive and survive quite well without needing any extra help or a guide.
  • Like 1

Art2ro
Posted
Posted (edited)
Hey Art2ro,Thus far I'm inclined to agree but if I may respectfully refer to the post #54... I was hoping for " Mentors " when we land @ Cebu. : )
I'm sure if you ask near the time of arriving someone will help you out if they are in Cebu but having said that most read forums and ask advice before hand so know what to expect.Most arrive and survive quite well without needing any extra help or a guide.
When we went to Hong Kong a few weeks ago for the first time, we didn't know what to expect upon on our arrival there, it's just part of the fun or hassles trying to find your way around even not knowing anyone there, but that's the way it is when in a foreign land, just have to be prepared as much as one can on his or her own by good planning! All we knew was that weather was going to be on the cool side and it was, but on the comfortable side and not too cold! Originally at first we decided to go to Singapore, but the warm climate there was the same as the Philippines and we didn't want that, because of the hustle and bustle in the heat to get around lugging our baggage would be too draining let alone a sweaty ordeal which everyone experiences in the Philippines unless you are waited on hand and foot! So, Hong Kong was our destination and trip was very enjoyable once we figured out their transportation system which their bus, ferry and railway system was excellent at reasonable prices, but everything else was expensive especially where we ate lunch and dinner, really expensive, but it was a fun and enjoyable short trip and we plan to do it again next year! Sorry! Are we off the topic again? How did we get here from the OP of Monthly Expenses - Living cost?OK! I'll just add, Hong Kong is expensive, but truly enjoyable! If we would have gone to Singapore, our cost would have doubled! :thumbsup: Edited by Art2ro
  • Like 1

Higg-num
Posted
Posted

Art2ro said " Sorry! Are we off the topic again? How did we get here from the OP of Monthly Expenses - Living cost? "The fault, in part, rests with me I'm afraid. Some of the honorable members here are on a fixed income and struggle with savings. I simply made a proposal...a gentlemen's offer of business to increase someone's monthly income in exchange for their hands on mentoring and guidance once I arrive at the cebu airport. That would potentially save me time and money. Thus my monthly expenses would be reduced and someone's budget not so tight.Respectfully, Higg-num : )

• Like 2

Art2ro
Posted
Posted
Art2ro said " Sorry! Are we off the topic again? How did we get here from the OP of Monthly Expenses - Living cost? "The fault, in part, rests with me I'm afraid. Some of the honorable members here are on a fixed income and struggle with savings. I simply made a proposal...a gentlemen's offer of business to increase someone's monthly income in exchange for their hands on mentoring and guidance once I arrive at the cebu airport. That would potentially save me time and money. Thus my monthly expenses would be reduced and someone's budget not so tight.Respectfully, Higg-num : )
What would you be willing pay for such a service and for how long? Does it have to be an expat or will a reliable Filipino guide do? It will cost you more with a hired vehicle with driver! You must be loaded! Just curious that's all!
  • Like 1

Higg-num
Posted
Posted (edited)

" What would you be willing pay for such a service ? " Payment in cash would be negotiable. " and for how long? " As long as both parties have mutual benefit ( I would imagine 2 to 4 hours a day for the first 1 to 3 days of the first week I arrive. ) "Does it have to be an expat or will a reliable Filipino guide do? " As long as they were honest, was of good character among the locals and spoke the local language as well as english...makes little difference to me Sir." It will cost you more with a hired vehicle with driver! " That would be a reasonable presumption" You must be loaded! Just curious that's all! " In the event I have spoken more highly of my situation than I ought to have, my sincerest apologies. I live a frugal, simply life. Very similar in many ways as the humble Philippine....I just reside in the states and wish for adventure. Maybe do some good in the community there as I enjoy doing here. : )

Edited by Higg-num
  • Like 3

Okieboy
Posted
Posted

yes i think one of the main factors in your budget would be housing, i intended to rent when i first came, but my wife having land i decided to build, altho i will never own the land, that is no problem for me, the cost of building a house in the provience is very reasonable if you have good labor, and know how to work them. I enjoy that very much , the more i work with the filipino the more i learn, i am very lucky to have a very good carpenter he can do it all ,i cannot believe what he can do with a limited amount of tools, the money i would have spent on rent has gone into something that will remain i hope for years after i am gone, sort of something to remind them of the americano who once lived among them.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
wingmanPI
Posted
Posted

buying vs. renting is a big dilemma for me. I will have limited funds to a certain degree (2-3 years living expenses) but I can see the value of buying something outright and getting rid of rent payments.