How To Meet A Good Foreigner

RetiredNavyGuy
Posted
Posted

As one of the single, older guys, I hope that if we are ever at a function together you will identify yourself. That way, I will know to remove myself to another point in the room. Seems the polite thing to do since 99% of the single guys would clearly make you uncomfortable. No, not mad, just trying to be polite, but since I don't know what you look like, I will have to depend on you to identify yourself. :th_thimage_265775:

• Like 2

Sampaguita
Posted
Posted (edited)
As one of the single, older guys, I hope that if we are ever at a function together you will identify yourself. That way, I will know to remove myself to another point in the room. Seems the polite thing to do since 99% of the single guys would clearly make you uncomfortable. No, not mad, just trying to be polite, but since I don't know what you look like, I will have to depend on you to identify yourself. :th_thimage_265775:
Robert you appear to be 1 of the good ones so please re-read what I wrote about good intentions or bad intentions. I am Nila and you met me so I hope I am correct that you are one of the good ones. It is all about intentions in my point of view. Edited by Sampaguita
  • Like 1

RetiredNavyGuy
Posted
Posted
Robert you appear to be 1 of the good ones so please re-read what I wrote about good intentions or bad intentions. I am Nila and you met me so I hope I am correct that you are one of the good ones. It is all about intentions in my point of view.
Okay, I do know you. My apologies. I've never seen you without your hubby, so I presume this is not a necessary precaution on my part. I don't disagree with your observations about intentions, and unfortunately, we wear about the same signage as to what we are about that the Filipinas do. :blonde:
  • Like 1

Sampaguita
Posted
Posted
Robert you appear to be 1 of the good ones so please re-read what I wrote about good intentions or bad intentions. I am Nila and you met me so I hope I am correct that you are one of the good ones. It is all about intentions in my point of view.
Okay, I do know you. My apologies. I've never seen you without your hubby, so I presume this is not a necessary precaution on my part. I don't disagree with your observations about intentions, and unfortunately, we wear about the same signage as to what we are about that the Filipinas do. :blonde:
My apologies too since I never intended to insult any of the good guys. I see Lee has now bolded my post so maybe I should have done that myself before I posted it. I do not post often but the men always seem to be picking on the ladies here, so I just wanted them to know how one of the ladies feels about some of them.
  • Like 2

Jake
Posted
Posted
Seems like Sampaguita hit a raw nerve.....but she has my utmost respect because her comments based on observation both in PI and in the States are just that -- her opinion. I simply cannot and will not treat anyone with disrespect, even at the level of "polite" condescending. As I mentioned in my previous posts, I prefer a woman, especially a Filipina to be more affirmative. No, I'm not talking about nagging minor chit. Any person should have every right to express a strong belief without worryingabout reprisals from the opposite sex. Her question of "How to Meet a Good Foreigner" is a good post starter which resulted in a lively debate of expressed opinions. Should I quarantine myself from that person if the comments doesn't match my personal experience or my overall outlook onlife? Respectfully -- Jake
  • Like 2

RetiredNavyGuy
Posted
Posted
Seems like Sampaguita hit a raw nerve.....but she has my utmost respect because her comments based on observation both in PI and in the States are just that -- her opinion. I simply cannot and will not treat anyone with disrespect, even at the level of "polite" condescending. As I mentioned in my previous posts, I prefer a woman, especially a Filipina to be more affirmative. No, I'm not talking about nagging minor chit. Any person should have every right to express a strong belief without worryingabout reprisals from the opposite sex. Her question of "How to Meet a Good Foreigner" is a good post starter which resulted in a lively debate of expressed opinions. Should I quarantine myself from that person if the comments doesn't match my personal experience or my overall outlook onlife? Respectfully -- Jake
Jake, She is certainly entitled to her opinion, no argument there - not at all. Nor was the comment meant to be a reprisal. However, it seems obvious to me that she would not be willing to introduce 99% or single men to her family, then she would not be comfortable around them either. If I know that someone feels that way, and there is sufficient room to just move and talk to others, it seems very insensitive to ignore her feelings and just stay put. If you are referring to the "signage" comment. I will stand by that one as well. A lot of us guys ARE jerks (and I know for a fact the jerks aren't all single either), and it is often very hard to differentiate a Jerk from a Non-jerk - just like it is often hard, initially, to differentiate the gold diggers and scammers from the good girls. It shouldn't be this hard for either the gals or the guys. Unfortunately, it seems to be very difficult. I DO know Nila, although I did not know who the OP was initially, so I don't think there is an issue there. ...but I have to wonder...if all Filipinas feel the same way, how many are going to trust any single guy in the Philippines when they believe they have a 99% chance of drawing a bad hand. If I thought the odds on Filipinas were that bad, I would either be here looking for a Philippine monastary, or would have chosen a different country. Anyway, Peace! My initial comment really was meant as an attempt not to put poster in an uncomfortable situation, not as a reprisal. I certainly don't want to start a flame war. My apologies to all whom I did not make my intentions clear.
  • Like 1

Jake
Posted
Posted
Jake, She is certainly entitled to her opinion, no argument there - not at all. Nor was the comment meant to be a reprisal. However, it seems obvious to me that she would not be willing to introduce 99% or single men to her family, then she would not be comfortable around them either. If I know that someone feels that way, and there is sufficient room to just move and talk to others, it seems very insensitive to ignore her feelings and just stay put. If you are referring to the "signage" comment. I will stand by that one as well. A lot of us guys ARE jerks (and I know for a fact the jerks aren't all single either), and it is often very hard to differentiate a Jerk from a Non-jerk - just like it is often hard, initially, to differentiate the gold diggers and scammers from the good girls. It shouldn't be this hard for either the gals or the guys. Unfortunately, it seems to be very difficult. I DO know Nila, although I did not know who the OP was initially, so I don't think there is an issue there. ...but I have to wonder...if all Filipinas feel the same way, how many are going to trust any single guy in the Philippines when they believe they have a 99% chance of drawing a bad hand. If I thought the odds on Filipinas were that bad, I would either be here looking for a Philippine monastary, or would have chosen a different country. Anyway, Peace! My initial comment really was meant as an attempt not to put poster in an uncomfortable situation, not as a reprisal. I certainly don't want to start a flame war. My apologies to all whom I did not make my intentions clear.
Hello Robert,I salute you sir -- I knew that you are a fine US Naval officer and a gentleman! Respectfully -- Jake (retired E-9)
  • Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

To add my two pesos worth, I think 99% is way over the top unless Nila hangs around the bars which I know she does not.What I mean is to say that out of every 100 foreigner's only one would be considered a good guy by those she has met has to be an exaggeration.Could it be how we judge people from our own beliefs or social standing? Could it be that after a long successful marriage that others are judged by not fitting the current mold as to what husband material is.I can think of some people who we met or had dinner with and some other single guys that were at the get together that would not be in the 99% of Do not introduce category so I feel the figure is an exaggeration.Just my opinion.

• Like 1

Art2ro
Posted
Posted

Hasn't anyone ever heard the saying, "One In A Million"? Way to go Nila! That's 1 out of 999,999!!!!! Lee is that lucky one in a million! That's why he always have a big smile on his face, because of a love of a good woman! AddEmoticons04230.gif

• Like 1

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
To add my two pesos worth, I think 99% is way over the top unless Nila hangs around the bars which I know she does not.What I mean is to say that out of every 100 foreigner's only one would be considered a good guy by those she has met has to be an exaggeration.Could it be how we judge people from our own beliefs or social standing? Could it be that after a long successful marriage that others are judged by not fitting the current mold as to what husband material is. I can think of some people who we met or had dinner with and some other single guys that were at the get together that would not be in the 99% of Do not introduce category so I feel the figure is an exaggeration. Just my opinion.
Hasn't anyone ever heard the saying, "One In A Million"? Way to go Nila! That's 1 out of 999,999!!!!! Lee is that lucky one in a million! That's why he always have a big smile on his face, because of a love of a good woman! AddEmoticons04230.gif
You may be correct and so may Art. :th_thimage_265775: IMO it is really no different here than back home, only here you have more single guys from different countries, and that is not as common back in the states where we live, but there are few single guys there of any nationality that we would introduce to our family and I think Nila was just making a point to counter the posts about how to find a good Filipina. Oh and I am nothing special, I am just her nothing special. :blonde:
  • Like 1