Filbilly!?!?rural Providence Adventures Anyone?

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Tonight while talking to one of my Filipino American coworker friends he asked me about my having any Filbilly encounters while visiting family on Southern Leyte! It cracked me up; he said Filbilly is a real Filipino term. :) So what have your best, oddest or most interesting rural adventure?I’ll share the nightly rooster F-you lizard serenade I experienced at a later time.:emostrongbow:

ekimswish
Posted
Posted

In Leyte I don't really have any Filbilly experiences per say, even though we're in a small town. I've been warned from going anywhere really rural, as that's where the NPA are recruited. Up in Marikina, however, my father-in-law was staying up on a hill overlooking the city with a bunch of squatters. We had to go somewhere and took him and his friends as guides since they knew the city. Although they knew the city well, they weren't so familiar with city culture. The one guy was a dark-skinned native from some rural hill-country, and though retired, wore his hardhat everywhere he went as a badge of what he'd acheived years ago: foreman status. The other guy knew how to get around, but just didn't know what we were getting around of. He would point out a hotel, for example, with the shape of a European castle on the outside just for show, and explain to me how this was derived from ancient Egyptian culture. A few nights later, I was really sick with a deep pain in my stomache. The native guy came up to me shirtless with a bit of paint on him (actually, my memory is only 50/50 on the paint), chewed some rice stuff, took it out with his fingers, then rubbed it on different parts of my head and chest. The other people were laughing, but he was serious that this should help me. I don't think it worked, but I appreciated the effort. I guess that's Philbilly for me, though nothing crazy.

Art2ro
Posted
Posted

Filbilly? Sorry Dan, I'm not amused by the term! That's the first time I ever heard of such a description for a Filipino! I think your Filipino American coworker friend has been in the U.S. too long when he goes around calling his former Filipinos, "Filbillies"! It sounds kind of a made up demeaning term that's probably not even in the English or Filipino dictionary or in the "Urban Legend" slang of words describing Filipinos living in the boonies or provinces! My oddest or most interesting rural adventure? Yeah, having to take a sh&t in an out house for the 1st time in my life without any toilet paper, but I learned quickly after that! th_thholysheep.gifSugarwareZ-034.gif 714_full_of_crap.gif

Jake
Posted
Posted
Tonight while talking to one of my Filipino American coworker friends he asked me about my having any Filbilly encounters while visiting family on Southern Leyte! It cracked me up; he said Filbilly is a real Filipino term. :whistling: So what have your best, oddest or most interesting rural adventure?I’ll share the nightly rooster F-you lizard serenade I experienced at a later time.:th_thholysheep:
Filbilly -- sorry Dan, but that's a new one for me. Usually the term "pro-bin-sha" is used to describe someone from the province. Another term "boon-doak" describes the mountain folks, hence the boot called boondocks. My only experience out in the boonies was this: http://www.philippin...indpost&p=32314Have a good one -- Jake

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
Filbilly? Sorry Dan, I'm not amused by the term! That's the first time I ever heard of such a description for a Filipino! I think your Filipino American coworker friend has been in the U.S. too long when he goes around calling his former Filipinos, "Filbillies"! It sounds kind of a made up demeaning term that's probably not even in the English or Filipino dictionary or in the "Urban Legend" slang of words describing Filipinos living in the boonies or provinces! My oddest or most interesting rural adventure? Yeah, having to take a sh&t in an out house for the 1st time in my life without any toilet paper, but I learned quickly after that! th_thholysheep.gifSugarwareZ-034.gif 714_full_of_crap.gif
That is odd, CJ is a good guy, I guess he made that up? Sorry Art I never would intentionally post anything insulting I'll ask the mods to end this topic now.

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

Topic locked at OP request. I actually do not see why anyone would get upset about that term, and it is a term that is used.Read THISFilbilly A person or persons who come from the provincial/rural parts of the Philippines where the general population is very poor and as a result the masses must live off the land: these conditions produce Filipinos who are uneducated in "City ways" or "Street smarts”, not unlike the American hillbilly. They will often refer to anecdotes that are common place for them that they fully believe are the norm for the rest of the world. They are not dumb, just uneducated when it comes to the way the rest of the world operates. (You try growing up without running water!)(These are actual things said by Filipinos I know personally)Filbilly EX 1 Filipina: Why are you buying dog food for that dog? In the Philippines dogs eat only leftovers.EX 2 Filipino: Where I'm from we are taught that in order to have a healthy baby you must drink a lot of beer, this makes the babies stronger.EX 3 Filipina: Combining shrimp and chicken in one meal will result in cancer.

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

OK it is a new day and I now have time to deal with this topic and will open this topic up for discussion now. I think we as adults should be able to discuss a topic such as this one, without letting it upset or insult us personally. I believe that had this topic been posted by an obvious Filipino hater, then any of us who are Filipino, or married to a Filipino would and should get upset, but since it was posted by Old55 who is married to a Filipina and has children who are half Filipino, then it should be is obvious that he did not mean it as an insult to Filipinos. It is my opinion that all too often people get upset with what others post or say and instead we should voice our concerns but at the same time try to openly discuss these types of things instead of trying to keep them off the forum.The term of the topic is obviously used enough that it is posted on Urban Dictionary, so while it is a slang that I too find insulting towards people who come from the provinces, such as when my wife was born and partially raised in a province, neither I or she took it as an attack on Filipinos, so I will now open this topic for discussion and hopefully members can discuss and attack the word and not the members.

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

I dont see what the fuss is about, I bet no one had a problem watching The Beverly Hillbilly's show,lol

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

Iremember whenI used to thunk it was degrading to call sumone a red neck and now I is onhe.,Filbilly or Philbilly (which turns up more in searches) is just a cute expression in my opinion.

Art2ro
Posted
Posted (edited)
Filbilly A person or persons who come from the provincial/rural parts of the Philippines where the general population is very poor and as a result the masses must live off the land: these conditions produce Filipinos who are uneducated in "City ways" or "Street smarts”, not unlike the American hillbilly. They will often refer to anecdotes that are common place for them that they fully believe are the norm for the rest of the world. They are not dumb, just uneducated when it comes to the way the rest of the world operates. (You try growing up without running water!)(These are actual things said by Filipinos I know personally)Filbilly EX 1 Filipina: Why are you buying dog food for that dog? In the Philippines dogs eat only leftovers.EX 2 Filipino: Where I'm from we are taught that in order to have a healthy baby you must drink a lot of beer, this makes the babies stronger.EX 3 Filipina: Combining shrimp and chicken in one meal will result in cancer.
th_thholysheep.gifIt's all demeaning and derogatory! Urban Legend Dictionary? That's where one gets all the facts? If some one told you to your face, "Hey you, Filbilly"! How will you react and your Filipino wife is with you? Kuya Lee's comment: "The term of the topic is obviously used enough that it is posted on Urban Dictionary, so while it is a slang that I too find insulting towards people who come from the provinces". This topic is on the verge of being a topic on Discrimination or Racism, which IMHO is like discussing religion or politics! I'm not over sensitive, I just know when a word or term is an insult! Old55 knows where I'm coming from, because we talked about it in our PMs! Edited by Art2ro