Filbilly!?!?rural Providence Adventures Anyone?

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

I think we all need to grow some body armor in life. Stick and stones will break my bones but names will never harm me. I have had people call me all types of bad names in my life and even on the open forum, and I just take them from where they came from and do not get very upset about it, and IMO others should not either because life is too short to sweat the small stuff and I think there is plenty of much more important things to worry about in today's world. So going with the trend of thought that Filbilly is bad, then I guess all of us kanos from all over the world should get mad every time a Filipino calls us a kano, and especially those that are called that who are not Americans because many seem to think being called an Americans is demeaning, yet I do not get mad when called a kano, and most round eye white foreigners I see do not get upset when Filipinos call them kanos, but maybe they should because those who are not Americans and are being called kanos, probably need to call those who call them that Filbilly because they are obviously uneducated to the world around them, yet few of us would ever do such a thing because we are smarter than to let something so small trouble us, thus I do not think any Filipino should allow that term to upset them either, unless someone called them that to their face and then IMO that is a whole different situation than it being posted on a forum in general terms. We could go on and on about this and debate it forever, but I often get tired of members continually telling me in emails, pm's or on the open forum how I or Tom should run a forum and what we should and should not allow, so we in the back end of the forum have discussed this and we think this topic should be allowed and that is the final say on it, so as I wrote before, I hope we can all discuss this and other things like adults and not direct the terms at any person or members and not take this or any post personally.

Art2ro
Posted
Posted (edited)

Just had a "light bulb" moment! Maybe if we say a word or term often enough on this forum, maybe it too can make it on to the Urban Legend's Dictionary so more people can be aware and take it all in as the facts, but I'm sure it will never make it onto the Websters English Dictionary! Here's the format below, just fill in the blanks and send it to this Urban Legend site here:http://urbanlegendsonline.com/let's see how thick skinned people's body armor really are! "Just sticks and stones, remember"! "_______BILLY", A person or person(s) who come from the provincial/rural parts of the ___________ where the general population is very poor and as a result the masses must live off the land: these conditions produce __________(s) who are uneducated in "City ways" or "Street smarts”, not unlike the American Hillbilly. They will often refer to anecdotes that are common place for them that they fully believe are the norm for the rest of the world. They are not dumb, just uneducated when it comes to the way the rest of the world operates. (You try growing up without electric & running water!)(These are actual things said by__________ I know personally) "____________BILLY" EX 1 Ethnic person__________comment:_____________________________________________________________ EX 2 Ethnic person__________comment:_____________________________________________________________ EX 3 Ethnic person__________comment:_____________________________________________________________ P.S. I left in American Hillbilly, it's the trend and because all "Kanos" are used to it by now and it doesn't bother them because of their thick skinned body armor! Maybe I can get my point across to those thick skinned individuals who thinks belittling and stereotyping any race is OK, go to this site and to determine if one maybe a racist! http://academic.uday...race/race02.htm under this section:Belittlement of members of other races and Reducing people of other races to racial stereotypes. IMHO this topic is on a verge of being in line with discrimination and racism and should be in the same category with religion and politics that is not allowed on any forum! IMHO "FILBILLY" is a racist remark, so therefore the forum rules has been broken! Forum Rules Forum Terms and Rules You agree:1/Through your use of this service, that you will not use this bulletin board to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, racist remarks or otherwise a violation of any law. which IMHO goes against the anti-discrimination law of the land no matter how subtle the words or terms were used in any form! Some one commented, what's all the fuss about? Ask that same question to the Jewish nation and see what their reply will be! How easy it is to forget about our past history, when the Polish people were belittled, stereotyped as being an inferior race and branded a "Jew" by Hitler and were then exterminated for just being who they were and the Jews weren't the only race to suffer in that manner! Need I say more in order to get my point across concerning this topic? An observant administrator should have just deleted the word "FILBILLY" and we all wouldn't be having this conversation on discrimination or racism at all and just continue on to the topic at hand that was side tracked, because of the subtle demeaning and belittling stereotyping racist made up word for Urban Legend's Dictionary! SugarwareZ-034.gif

Edited by Art2ro

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

I am curious as to what Filipinos call those who come from the back woods,what is the Filipino term or name?We have read of what a Fil/am names them but I would like to hear from real Filipinos.My Filipina friend says the term is BADJAO

ekimswish
Posted
Posted
Just had a "light bulb" moment! Maybe if we say a word or term often enough on this forum, maybe it too can make it on to the Urban Legend's Dictionary so more people can be aware and take it all in as the facts, but I'm sure it will never make it onto the Websters English Dictionary! Here's the format below, just fill in the blanks and send it to this Urban Legend site here:http://urbanlegendsonline.com/let's see how thick skinned people's body armor really are! "Just sticks and stones, remember"! "_______BILLY", A person or person(s) who come from the provincial/rural parts of the ___________ where the general population is very poor and as a result the masses must live off the land: these conditions produce __________(s) who are uneducated in "City ways" or "Street smarts”, not unlike the American Hillbilly. They will often refer to anecdotes that are common place for them that they fully believe are the norm for the rest of the world. They are not dumb, just uneducated when it comes to the way the rest of the world operates. (You try growing up without electric & running water!)(These are actual things said by__________ I know personally)"____________BILLY" EX 1 Ethnic person__________comment:_____________________________________________________________ EX 2 Ethnic person__________comment:_____________________________________________________________EX 3 Ethnic person__________comment:_____________________________________________________________P.S. I left in American Hillbilly, it's the trend and because all "Kanos" are used to it by now and it doesn't bother them because of their thick skinned body armor! Maybe I can get my point across to those thick skinned individuals who thinks belittling and stereotyping any race is OK, go to this site and to determine if one maybe a racist! http://academic.uday...race/race02.htm under this section:Belittlement of members of other races and Reducing people of other races to racial stereotypes.IMHO this topic is on a verge of being in line with discrimination and racism and should be in the same category with religion and politics that is not allowed on any forum! IMHO "FILBILLY" is a racist remark, so therefore the forum rules has been broken!Forum Rules Forum Terms and Rules You agree:1/Through your use of this service, that you will not use this bulletin board to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, racist remarks or otherwise a violation of any law. which IMHO goes against the anti-discrimination law of the land no matter how subtle the words or terms were used in any form! Some one commented, what's all the fuss about? Ask that same question to the Jewish nation and see what their reply will be! How easy it is to forget about our past history, when the Polish people were belittled, stereotyped as being an inferior race and branded a "Jew" by Hitler and were then exterminated for just being who they were and the Jews weren't the only race to suffer in that manner! Need I say more in order to get my point across concerning this topic? An observant administrator should have just deleted the word "FILBILLY" and we all wouldn't be having this conversation on discrimination or racism at all and just continue on to the topic at hand that was side tracked, because of the subtle demeaning and belittling stereotyping racist made up word for Urban Legend's Dictionary! SugarwareZ-034.gif
Art, you seem to be confusing the term: it's about country bumpkins, which exist in all countries, and is more a term of endearment (except when used by jerks), and has nothing to do with race. Nobody is saying anything racist about Filipinos. It's just like the movie City Slickers, but reversed. When we go to their neck of the woods, we're the awkward looking goofs. It's like how friends rib or "take the piss out of" each other. It's only serious if an actual prick says something with hurtful intent. But racism? If it were racist it would have to apply to the whole of Filipino people, which it doesn't. It just refers to countrybumpkins. At the same time, I understand why you don't like the term. In America, being a redneck is a badge of honor for rednecks. Even if relatively poor, they still have everything they need. In the Philippines, someone from the boonies is seriously behind in education and opportunities, and it's not really a laughing matter, since their lack of education is the same reason their children go hungry at night. If that's what's making you mad, I hope you know that wasn't anyone's intent, but with it in mind, we could be more sensitive. At the same time, it has nothing to do with race. No one using the term "Philbilly" would apply it to a Filipino in the city, even though they're of the same ethnicity. You wouldn't call a New Yorker a hillbilly, would you? It's not race.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
Art, you seem to be confusing the term: it's about country bumpkins, which exist in all countries, and is more a term of endearment (except when used by jerks), and has nothing to do with race. Nobody is saying anything racist about Filipinos. It's just like the movie City Slickers, but reversed. When we go to their neck of the woods, we're the awkward looking goofs. It's like how friends rib or "take the piss out of" each other. It's only serious if an actual prick says something with hurtful intent. But racism? If it were racist it would have to apply to the whole of Filipino people, which it doesn't. It just refers to countrybumpkins. At the same time, I understand why you don't like the term. In America, being a redneck is a badge of honor for rednecks. Even if relatively poor, they still have everything they need. In the Philippines, someone from the boonies is seriously behind in education and opportunities, and it's not really a laughing matter, since their lack of education is the same reason their children go hungry at night. If that's what's making you mad, I hope you know that wasn't anyone's intent, but with it in mind, we could be more sensitive. At the same time, it has nothing to do with race. No one using the term "Philbilly" would apply it to a Filipino in the city, even though they're of the same ethnicity. You wouldn't call a New Yorker a hillbilly, would you? It's not race.
th_thbestpost.gifth_exactly.gifI think you have hit the nail on the head,great to see some common sense.

Candyman
Posted
Posted

I think you will find the term "BADJAO" refers to the native Filipinos that live on boats. They in fact spend almost all their lives on the boats, either diving for pearls, and fishing and living off whatever they can either catch or find, then either selling their produce or trading for other food items.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
I think you will find the term "BADJAO" refers to the native Filipinos that live on boats. They in fact spend almost all their lives on the boats, either diving for pearls, and fishing and living off whatever they can either catch or find, then either selling their produce or trading for other food items.
You may be right but thats what she said when asked for the term for Filipinos living deep in the province who were uneducated?

Art2ro
Posted
Posted (edited)
P.S. I left in American Hillbilly, it's the trend and because all "Kanos" are used to it by now and it doesn't bother them because of their thick skinned body armor! Maybe I can get my point across to those thick skinned individuals who thinks belittling and stereotyping any race is OK, go to this site and to determine if one maybe a racist! http://academic.uday...race/race02.htm under this section:Belittlement of members of other races and Reducing people of other races to racial stereotypes.IMHO this topic is on a verge of being in line with discrimination and racism and should be in the same category with religion and politics that is not allowed on any forum! IMHO "FILBILLY" is a racist remark, so therefore the forum rules has been broken!Forum Rules Forum Terms and Rules You agree:1/Through your use of this service, that you will not use this bulletin board to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, racist remarks or otherwise a violation of any law. which IMHO goes against the anti-discrimination law of the land no matter how subtle the words or terms were used in any form! Some one commented, what's all the fuss about? Ask that same question to the Jewish nation and see what their reply will be! How easy it is to forget about our past history, when the Polish people were belittled, stereotyped as being an inferior race and branded a "Jew" by Hitler and were then exterminated for just being who they were and the Jews weren't the only race to suffer in that manner! Need I say more in order to get my point across concerning this topic? An observant administrator should have just deleted the word "FILBILLY" and we all wouldn't be having this conversation on discrimination or racism at all and just continue on to the topic at hand that was side tracked, because of the subtle demeaning and belittling stereotyping racist made up word for Urban Legend's Dictionary! SugarwareZ-034.gif
Mike,I'm not confusing the term! I guess you didn't bother to go to the site about "Signs of Racism" that explained what racism is all about! You seem to make a lot of assumsptions in how you think I feel! Your definition of the term makes me laugh! What? It's about contry bumpkins? Term of endearment (except when used by jerks)? It's just like the movie City Slickers, but reversed? An American redneck is a badge of honor? You wouldn't call a New Yorker a hillbilly, but why should I, I have more common sense than that! You haven't explained to me anything about what makes the term "FILBILLY" not a racist word and I have, but you have just expressed your own twist, opinion or POV which is your progative and have the right to express what you think! Yup! I knew that his topic will have a lot of twists and turns and no one will come up with the same way of thinking! Signs of RacismSigns of racism reflects a lifetime experiencing the kind of "hidden" or "subtle" racism. As societies become ever more multi-racial and members of minority groups reach positions of power and influence, subtle racism will be the predominant form in all countries in the 21st century. It is a hugely more pernicious and dangerous form than the more explicit varieties because of a fundamental truth - the spirit of a person can only be diminished by loss, bereavement or defeat, in the long run the human spirit will always rise up and triumph in the face of overt oppression because no one can respect his oppressor. Although people whose ancestors came from different geographic regions look different, no scientific or biologic evidence exists to support even the idea of race. Not surprisingly, it is rare, today, for a person to admit to being a racist. Despite the prevalence of racism (the belief that members of a particular "race" or ethnic group share common qualities), the word "racist" has acquired a very negative connotation and is even somewhat pejorative. It is even rare for people to openly espouse racist philosophy. Someone can be a racist regardless of their religion, intelligence, cultural level, social status, benevolence towards members of their own race or social motivation. Racists come from all races (sometimes the race which they feel they belong to may not be obvious). Racism is thus only implicit in behavior. What are the signs?Reducing people of other races to racial stereotypes. This can often be done in very subtle ways. For example, confusing race with culture, a belief that certain races are more adept in particular jobs or functions, a belief in differences in intelligence between the races, etc. Advocation of segregation. This advocation represents a belief that different races should live apart, be educated separately or not intermarry. The advocacy can occur explicitly or implicitly. Extreme pride in one's own country or race. Patriotism can be laudable but when taken to extremes, this sentiment becomes the basis of all fascist regimes.Association. It is common for racists to associate with other racists. While not necessarily espousing racist opinions themselves it is common for them to personally defend other racists (without directly defending their opinions). Belittlement of members of other races. Racist will constantly criticize the opinions of other races or even ridicule them. Often they will do it without explicitly making mention of the race of the person or persons. Latent hate. An exaggerated reaction to any misconduct from a person of the other race, where the punishment is out of all proportion to the original wrong (real or perceived) and completely ignores the provocation which could have led to the original "wrong". Also, no feeling of moral debt to a racially "other" person for any favors he may have done. Denial. Racist denies that the other person's or group's intelligence, cultural level, social status or other merits even in the face of overwhelming evidence which proves these qualities. The racist will attempt to "objectively" show proof, usually in the form of insignificant details to contradict the obvious. Constant references to race. A mere mention of someone's race on a first encounter could be benign but when these references continue after a long period of knowing that person, no matter how innocent the references may appear, they establish an unmistakable pattern. Antagonistic sentiments. When a person has anatognistic towards someone at first sight it is often related to skin color. The only information that one normally has about someone on seeing them for the first time is their skin color. Invisibility. An indifference to the plight of members of society who are of other races when they suffer injustices. It is typical of the racist to claim that he is under no obligation to help or that the situation in question is somehow an "inevitable" by-product of some greater good. When the great majority of members of the disadvantaged group are not of his race a pattern emerges. Presumption of racism in members of own race. Racists typically expect members of their own race to be similarly racist. This often results in expectations of preferential treatment and they expect, for example, members of their race to see the humor in racist jokes or join with them in what but for the race of the victim would be seen as morally reprehensible behavior. Condescending attitude or behavior. Racists show condescending attitudes towards members of other races. For this reason they often try to use even members of the race which they despise to attack members of that race which cause them most offense. They believe that these other members of the victimized race will collaborate because of the magnanimity which the racist is showing in momentarily treating them as members of the "superior" race. Strongest reaction to members of other race which rebut racist model. The members of the other race which a racist will typically try most to denigrate are those which act as a rebuttal to his model of what members of the other race should be. If this model is a weak, timid and stupid person, he will see a strong, independent and intelligent person of the "inferior" race as a threat to his model. If they do not attack this person directly, racists contend with this by speaking of "exceptions" to their theory. Extreme reaction to word racist. Normally the worst insult which an extreme racist can receive is to be called a racist in public. For the extreme racist it is infuriating because there is no adequate response. On the one hand he does not really want to deny it but he knows that the implications of this word are generally negative. It is not like being called stupid or ignorant, because it is difficult for him to counterattack by simply reverting the accusation. The idea that a member of the other race could look down upon the race of the racist normally challenges the model that the racist has about this other race (he typically sees it as weak, timid and cowardly). If he attempts to ridicule the other person he will publicly prove the original accusation correct. No insight into own prejudice. It is common for racists to have no insight into their own prejudice. This is because they believe their prejudice to be based upon objective grounds. Indifference to the opinions of members of the other race. It is typical of racists to e.g. make fun of members of the "inferior" race without any consideration for what those members will then think of these racists. At best, racists only care about what people of their own race think of them. Lack of impartiality. This is extremely common and affects practically all the racist's opinions and decision-making. Its effects extend beyond the obvious areas like jobs, education and housing. Veneration of great historical figures, membership of clubs and societies etc. Acceptance of racist behavior or conduct. To view "mildly" racist acts as either reasonable or, at least, not racist and to feel that more severely racist acts are wrong but "understandable". Failure to recognize impact of racism on the victim. To believe that a victim of racism can be unaltered by racism. For example, when racists examine apparent differences between members of different races or ethnic groups they completely ignore all differences in circumstances and history which could have affected the "inferior" race. Maintaining superior position "By all means possible". A phrase often remembered as a precept of the maintenance of slavery in the Southern United States during the nineteenth century. A racist will use all means possible to preserve the inferior position of the victimized race. Even a person with social motivations and benevolent to members of his own race is capable of violence and other forms of crime towards members of what he views as the "inferior" race. He could easily support the use of force to maintain those disadvantaged by racism in their present condition. Edited by Art2ro

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

Over the years of associating with Filipinos of all classes and from all around the Philippines, I have found many of them are far more prejudice toward provincial people than any of us could ever be. I have gone to party after party where many of those from the north would not hang out with those from the south, and the ones that would told stories of the others and what they thought of people from the south that would even surprise me. To this day when my wife and I casually run into a stranger from the north of the Philippines and they ask her what part of the Philippines she comes from, and she replies Mindanao, they then ask her if she is a Muslim, so is that not an insult to those who are other religions, sort of like what this topic is about (a preconceived notion), and then they proceed to tell me how dangerous it is in any part of Mindanao and that they would never go there and neither should I, again showing a prejudice POV. Now why do I say calling a different race a Muslim is an insult, not because I look down on Muslims, but because when those people continue to chat, it is they who look down on all Muslims and do not mind telling us so, and as they also continue on with their thoughts and slowly but surely out comes what they think of all people who come from Mindanao, so therefore are immediately looking down on my wife who they think is a Muslim or is lying to them when she tells them she is Catholic, and because she comes from Mindanao in general. Again I will say, it is not any term that is an insult IMHO, it is how the term is used and directed at a person or a whole group of people. If a person were to say all people from the province are Filbillys, then IMO that would be an insult. Let us face reality (I know from being married to a person from the province and hanging out with many who are from the provinces) many often have a limited knowledge of the rest of the world, and maybe even the rest of their own country, and yet others like my wife are educated and even then she had a limited knowledge of the rest of the world and many parts of her own country.Again I will say that this has been discussed by the moderators of this forum and we do not find the term to be racist or an insult to Filipinos or it would not be allowed. I am sorry if any member does, but it is the intent of the poster and not the word that would show if it was meant as an insult, and it was not.

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted (edited)
What are the signs?Reducing people of other races to racial stereotypes. That would mean whole races and the word does not relate to a whole race. This can often be done in very subtle ways. For example, confusing race with culture, a belief that certain races are more adept in particular jobs or functions, a belief in differences in intelligence between the races, etc.
The above one being the main one in that post, so the word is not racist. Also those other lines that follow do not apply because no one on this forum has shown any racist views that were allowed to stay on the forum. This forum bends over backwards to try to prevent any racism posts, yet the word has been discussed by the moderators and WE DO NOT feel it is racist. End of discussion. Now lets get back to the topic as it was meant to apply. Art, I think that your POV has been duly noted. added: Two of our moderators are of Filipino heritage.Also I have changed the topic subtitle. Edited by Kuya Lee
add