Filbilly!?!?rural Providence Adventures Anyone?

piglett
Posted
Posted

while in the province "Romblon" i was digging a trench up on the hill so the rain water would not wash out our new garden which was down below. one of my wife's brothers starts to say something about some little "critter" that can jump up if you work too late digging in the afternoon. i just kept digging & the next thing i know my wife is there telling me to stop so some "critter " doesn't jump up & cause all kinds of problems. I wanted to tell all of them that they were full of sh*t but i was a guest there so after seeing that they were scared of this unknown to me "critter" i stopped & went to go drink some iced tea. my wife then asked if we had these same kind of "critters" up in new hampshire & i said " No they would freeze to death in the winter"piglett

• Like 1

omnivorism
Posted
Posted

I am originally from the rural Midwest USA. When I say rural, I don't mean it in the extreme such as those who really live pretty much entirely off the grid, but rather farm country, scattered small towns, and with an abundance of blue collar men and women, who enjoy activities such as hunting, fishing, etc. This of course differs from what a true backwoods American would be like, say from the Appalachian mountains, or the Bayou.I grew up much of my life in Denver, and in Atlanta, but also in this area. I knew many people who would be considered "country" folk by American standards.I can assure everyone that the term "Hillbilly" is not considered derogatory by these people. They consider their small town blue collar ways, and living off the land to some extent or another a source of pride.The term is somewhat tongue in cheek, but being what could be called a "Good ole boy" is something they identify as, and are proud to be. And yes, in many cases they will even refer to their selves as hillbillies. The term "white trash" or "trailer trash" or in some cases "hick" are far more derogatory. But I can assure people that in America that more rural people do not consider the term derogitory, and certainly not racist. It is considered a somewhat playful term.

• 3 months later...
Brucewayne
Posted
Posted
Tonight while talking to one of my Filipino American coworker friends he asked me about my having any Filbilly encounters while visiting family on Southern Leyte! It cracked me up; he said Filbilly is a real Filipino term. :whistling: So what have your best, oddest or most interesting rural adventure? That term is fairly common here in Cebu as well and describes the folks in the so called "mountains" here.Most of the lower land dwellers here are afraid of the hill dweller, or Philbillys as most here call them.I’ll share the nightly rooster F-you lizard serenade I experienced at a later time. :541: