Oh my god! Second time in a row I've written a book only to have it lost to a computer error! Maybe computers hate my writing? lol Here it is again in a nut shell:
- Hear about Philippines deporting 14 Taiwanese criminals to China instead of Taiwan? Was big news in the Phils, but Taiwanese don't care, since they were criminals. Still, Noy's gov't is refusing to apologize and Taiwan is threatening to quit hiring Filipinos.
- I move tomorrow to a great location in Taipei, between two large universities.
- I realized, being alone, this is the year to answer the question I've had since getting married and having children: if things were different, would I have reached my goals in life?
- Inspired by that thought, I've decided to study Chinese again, when not teaching, and maybe look for other work and scholarship opporunities in the future not involving English teaching.
- Inspired to lose weight and save money, I decided not to drink by myself for one month. I'm loving it and very happy sober, but then realized I was still smoking. Why quit one addiction only to depend on another? Now I'm 5 days without a smoke and two weeks without a drink.
- Smoking is hard to quit, even though I've only smoked for two months. The problem is it doesn't seem like a problem. Smoking minds it's business, letting you be you. Drinking requires a committment to getting a bit drunk, and you'll feel it in your gut. Smoking is a friend that minds its business, making it a sneaky habit to say no to.
- The reason I often feel I need a drink or a smoke is because I'm sitting around watching so much TV! If I cut back on the TV, I wouldn't really care for a drink in the first place.
- I won't have my own computer for at least a few months at my new place (borrowing a friend's now), so I'll have the perfect opportunity to study Chinese and read books again.
- After so many years as a family guy, slaving away at work only to go home, play with the kids, watch TV and have a drink, it's nice to have freedom to dream again. Obviously I love my wife and kids, but this is a chance to prove to myself if I have what it takes to be the man.
- The best thing about having a dream is.... having a dream.
- My wife found out the farm hand actually did lie and steal from us while we were in Korea, so she'll be fired.
- She would have been laid-off anyways since I have decded to close down the main portion of our farm for a few months while I make money and consider things.
- I'm actually glad we experienced this small defeat because it's the only way my wife would truly see what I was warning her about - too trustworthy and naive. Maybe this lesson will pay off in the future.
- Now that her way didn't quite work out, it's time for my way: slow.
Life.... what a crazy dream. But I love it.