Lets Compare Prices Of Items In Different Countries

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

OK here are some items from the local Publics supermarket flyer HERE and Winn Dixie Supermarket HERE, which are just everyday supermarkets and not really discount shopping places for members to compare with costs in the Philippines. Oh and why don't they take coupons in the Philippines? 89.gifUS Stores take coupons which makes items even less expensive, I wonder if other countries take coupons besides the US, since I do not believe the Philippines does? :unsure: I have included items such as chicken and mangos and orange juice which I believe should be less in the Philippines, but maybe not. :unsure: post-40-0-03259000-1307278947_thumb.jpg post-40-0-87521400-1307278959_thumb.jpg post-40-0-38072600-1307278974_thumb.jpg post-40-0-87086700-1307278984_thumb.jpg post-40-0-02974900-1307278998_thumb.jpg post-40-0-48441600-1307279009_thumb.jpg post-40-0-64721600-1307279020_thumb.jpg post-40-0-91594700-1307279034_thumb.jpg post-40-0-52334400-1307279046_thumb.jpg post-40-0-11797800-1307279057_thumb.jpg post-40-0-26490300-1307279068_thumb.jpg post-40-0-23169000-1307279084_thumb.jpg

oldutot
Posted
Posted (edited)

There's a lot factors when pricing products through out the world. The bottom line it's all depend on one lifestyle.One needs to live and act like the locals, stop your kano lifestyle you live. crying like a teamster, sailor, or a seagulldon't change anything hystery.gif714_full_of_crap.gifth_grouphug.gif my post is not directed at you Kuya Lee

Edited by oldutot
  • Like 1

Bruce
Posted
Posted (edited)

I keeping on topic with comparing various costs of things in different countries.....As a nurse, working in Women's Health in both the US and then doing volunteer medical mission work in the Philippines, I must point out that the costs associated with prostitution is MUCH lower in the Philippines. It is very much a 'buyer's market'I was working on a past trip with the Chief Medical Officer for the area and found out that they no longer local call prostitutes, GROs, but now CSW for Commercial Sex Worker. Same job, no more money, so sad (as they say in the Philippines). I have come into (no pun intended) working women from 3 different areas of the Philippines as well as here in the US. I have met many, many, many, of the usual average woman working in the sex industry to support her family as well as the occasional real beauty.Some of these women that I have met are making 1,000p to 5,000p a night, when IF in say New York, they would be making $2,000 USD - $5,000 a night where Asian women have some built in VAT tax due to limited availability (seller's market). What is interesting is that if you switch them, the working Pinay now getting $2,000++ USD a night for the same 'work' she was doing in the Philippines is very happy. But you take the working woman from a major US city and put her in the Philippines making less than $100 a night for the same 'work' she is very unhappy. Go figure!'Same work, same equipment' but different locations = vast price differences. I am not referring to any drug addicts working to support their needs. Just a basic working women doing her job. Whether you call them a prosti, a bar girl, a GRO or a CSW is not important.Now, since this forum is for those of us either thinking about or actually have started living in the Philippines as opposed to a forum designed for a 3rd world country citizen to move to the US or the UK et al, WHOM do you think beneifits more from the local pricing structures? This different local attitude is an interesting topic because they are often not interchangeable! While I am speaking as an American, I am sure that those from the UK or other 'Queen's possessions' can relate and change the term 'American-ized' into their own country's terms. Very often that sweet innocent wonderful Pinay you met and married then moved back to your home country has, after a few years.... become JUST LIKE THEM (the women in your home country). (Pro rated trade in value based upon the Pre-Nup agreement duly signed and notarized, in triplicate.... see small print for details)In simple layman's terms, she, your wonderful Pinay wife, has revised her self worth and now, again, in layman's terms, thinks 'it' is worth far more that 'it' is! Which means whilst she was in the Philippines, she was one of millions. Back in your country, she is one of a few. This also, I might add, applies to your house helper(s). Out on Samar, they make depending on age and job and length of service, betweeen 1,000p to maybe 3,000p a month + food and bed. In the US, you are looking at paying federal minimum wages ($8.75 hr USD) and you could be looking at an easy $500 +++ USD a week! Why I have heard horror stories of those larged breasted, blonde haired, blue eyed Swedish creatures calling themselves an 'Au Pair' (excuse me whilst I lower my nose after saying that word) demanding $1,000 a week and far more for those who get to sleep with Arnold Schwartzhis name......So, please, lets not loose sight of the important things in life while compairing the costs of CORN FLAKES.... you bunch of old codgers! If you guys could see yourselves from 20-30 years ago, living in the Philippines, on a pension, not having to work (much) and having potential female paramours lined up 3.5 kilometers down the road from your front door.... talking about the costs of BLOODY CORN FLAKES..... why your former selves would think you have lost your minds!Hahahahahahahahaha I prefer Frosted Flakes as a child of the sugar generation! I am sure they must cost more! I am 54 and not too far behind you guys.... so sad.... so sad......

Edited by Bruce
  • Like 3

Sampaguita
Posted
Posted

Bruce I take offense at your post. First you are writing about prostitutes and their costs and then it appears you put us all in the category with prostitutes with your words "In simple layman's terms, she, your wonderful Pinay wife, has revised her self worth and now, again, in layman's terms, thinks 'it' is worth far more that 'it' is!" That is a very disrespectful statement about my race and women in general.

• Like 2

Bruce
Posted
Posted
Bruce I take offense at your post. First you are writing about prostitutes then it appears you put us all in the category with prostitutes with your words "In simple layman's terms, she, your wonderful Pinay wife, has revised her self worth and now, again, in layman's terms, thinks 'it' is worth far more that 'it' is!" That is a very disrespectful statement about my race and women in general.
Sorry about that! I guess I should have added a paragraph in there to separate the top from the bottom. I do remember several posts before along this line of marriage and the failure rates being traced back to the woman having worked, at some time, in a bar in the Philippines and how is affected the marriage. It really is not an uncommon thing and well written about. In fact the HUGE barrier to a single female woman in the Philippines getting a travel visa to the US can be directly traced back the the vast numbers of 'working women' who married US servicemen and was quite a problem to the navy. As for the prostitutes.... I have worked with them for years! I do make it a point to not judge them per se but to treat them as I would be expected to be treated up to the point they prove me wrong (again) which is usually about drug useage..... Because I have dealt with a large number of working women, I sort of feel comfortable talking to them and about them and since I am not 'there' to purchase their services, 'we' can have a more normal relationship (social) than they get from men at work. While it may make you / some women uncomfortable, the reality is that prostitution is a very large aspect in the preceptions and interactions that exist between the Philippines and visitors from other countries. There is even a documentary out there showing the monthly GYN care given to the 'working woman' in the Philippines, the tests performed and the 'card' issued to them. Actually shot in a clinic with NO DOOR on the exam room and over 100 women lined up at the door waiting their turn on the table. Very powerful video.I work with the poor of the Philippines, many of which are 'sex workers'. Spend my money on school fees for their kids, rice for their famlies and medical needs. I can back up what I say. The original post was comparing costs of goods in different countries..... of which prostitution is a 'service' with a non fixed cost that varies from country to country. I am sticking to the topic, although uncomfortable for some. Again , sorry to offend you, not my intention. But refusing to talk about prostitution or pretending it does not exist..... is not really helping. As for you being mixed in the 'lot'..... well I can tell you that I am named BRUCE (1st strike) and I am a NURSE (2nd strike). There is no shortage of people that either think I might be gay or assume I am gay even though I have never had even one such experience. But I am not offended. I do what I do, and I do it well, and I have many friends who are gay, so it really is not a slur against me at... or at least that is the way I think.

Panserhansen
Posted
Posted
There's a lot factors when pricing products through out the world. The bottom line it's all depend on one lifestyle.One needs to live and act like the locals, stop your kano lifestyle you live. crying like a teamster, sailor, or a seagulldon't change anything hystery.gif714_full_of_crap.gifth_grouphug.gif my post is not directed at you Kuya Lee
I agree. I could buy a half decent bottle of redwine for 550 peso, or 10 gallons of tuba. A bottle of Jack Daniels or 14 bottles Tanduay. Imported salmon for 700 a kilo or 7-10 kilo fish in the province. I can have a small lunch at a place like Moon's with a beer for 250 peso. In Norway it would be at least 1400 peso.A movie at the cinema, 160 peso. Norway 800.Massage one hour 250 peso. Norway 4000+.Hair cut 50 peso province, 150-250 city. Norway 2000 peso+.Taxi 15 minutes, 150 peso. Norway 2000.Cebu hotNorway coldAdd things like I haven't done any house work(except cooking, which I love) since Dec 2008.Easy choice for me, even if I probably can find some items cheaper in Norway.

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Bruce, I respect the fact you are free to post your thoughts as you have done but I find it somewhat offensive and off topic as well. More troubling is your disrespectful snarky reply to another member. Was that necessary? As nothing more than another member I would ask you to please play nice… I’m just saying.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

My mother in law and I do Tabernok market and get more stuff than I can easily carry including fresh shrimp, tuna, many other fish fruit and so on for around a thousand pesos. No way could I match that in the States. A kilo of frozen tuna or blue marlin would cost much more than that that alone.On the other hand most of what is sold in the US stores is known to be reasonably safe to eat and has been handled (kept hot or cold as needed) correctly. But the fruit and vegetables in Philippines along with most of the meat is organic and most likely free of hormones or other things common in our US food chain.Overall Lee makes a good point and I agree with him. I also think some expats food bill is lower than what the average person in the west would pay due to what local items his wife would buy.

Sampaguita
Posted
Posted

Cable TV from p490 to p780 a month in Cebu depending on the plan you pick we have p780 in Florida $66 that is p2838 without any premium channels.Water in Cebu p700 a month in Florida about $60 a month.Phone and DSL in Cebu p1650 in Florida $74.Cell phone in Florida $100 a year for 1000 minutes in Cebu p500 a month for unlimited talk and another p300 to p500 for all the text to my family so about $20 a month or $240 a year. Food in supermarkets is much higher for most items we like to eat. Eating out is less if we do not eat in fast food restaurants.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

When my friends and co workers find out i will retire to the Philippines, they usually ask "is it cheaper". "YUP" I reply. I then ask how much do you pay for a haircut. 8 USD plus tip is the normal answer, How much in the Philippines?P40, How much is that? About 86 cents. enough said lolol.