Electric cost in the Philippines

Steve & Myrlita
Posted
Posted (edited)

Wow! And I thought P8.06 per KWH was high!

Edited by Steve & Myrlita
  • Like 2

MikeB
Posted
Posted

According to this article, the average cost of residential electricity in the U.S. in April 2009 was 12¢ per /kWh, which is close to Lee's bill. Comparing that with Steve's and Art's, it's roughly half the price per k/wh then these 2 areas in Luzon and Negros. If that's Progress Energy in Fl, they just had a substantial rate increase in the 1st quarter of this year as I recall. A lot of bickering and complaining about that, given the state of the economy and unemployment. Maybe they should have shown comparison data on electricity costs in the Philippines and included average family income of about $3500 to put things in perspective I wonder how much of the difference has to do with subsidies, taxes, etc then the actual cost of providing electricity to consumers from point A to B.

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
According to this article, the average cost of residential electricity in the U.S. in April 2009 was 12¢ per /kWh, which is close to Lee's bill. Comparing that with Steve's and Art's, it's roughly half the price per k/wh then these 2 areas in Luzon and Negros. If that's Progress Energy in Fl, they just had a substantial rate increase in the 1st quarter of this year as I recall. A lot of bickering and complaining about that, given the state of the economy and unemployment. Maybe they should have shown comparison data on electricity costs in the Philippines and included average family income of about $3500 to put things in perspective I wonder how much of the difference has to do with subsidies, taxes, etc then the actual cost of providing electricity to consumers from point A to B.
So so far it appears to me that electric in the Philippines is at the very least double what it is here in the US. I hope others from other areas of the Philippines and even other countries will chime in and give their electric costs per kwh where they live, so we can get a better idea of more cost comparisons. As with many things, it may only be more expensive than the US. One thing I have found with our relatives and even with our condo in Cebu, is that they/we do get a deal for minimum usage. Most of our relatives only use one bulb and sometimes a fan and pay maybe p100 a month or less, and we only pay about p4 a month for our condo for the power to just sit there with all the switches off, and to me that is a deal because they still deliver the bills. Which brings up another thing, I did not know they do not use the mail there to deliver most bills, and instead we get most hand delivered to our building and then hand distributed to the owners and tenants, so to me p4 is a lot less than we would probably pay in the US for service being off and just waiting to have the switches turned back on.

Andreas
Posted
Posted

thanks again for this fast and informative information,now i know really well that my concerns aboutexpensive electricity are not keeping me from a good nights sleep :541: compared to the high pricing here in germany it`s still 1/4 of the costs for a kilowatt ! so i think an AC just in the bedroom (running @ night) won`t kill my budget that fast ^^ my use of the AC would be more or less to keep the humidity out at night and have a bitbetter "storage conditions" for the linen stuff and my clothes....

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Brisbane Australia rate in AU, 19.4100 kwh plus GST. Plus property service charge $22.41 per quarter of year. Except for service charge I think that works out to P8.69 kwh