Visiting Philippines During Rainy Season What To Bring?

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Next year we plan to visit Philippines during July. I think the start of rainy season?We have two young children. Any items that we should bring to deal with the rain? One area we visit is known to have minor flooding and standing water.

Bruce
Posted
Posted

Proper foot wear as there are nasty parasites in standing flood water. Remember that your kids immune system is not as good as yours and yours ain't as good as the local taxi driver's! If you buy rain wear and are going for vacation.... remember you kids will out grow it, so leave it there for other kids to use when you leave. You can buy antibiotics locally if needed.

Jake
Posted
Posted
Next year we plan to visit Philippines during July. I think the start of rainy season?We have two young children. Any items that we should bring to deal with the rain? One area we visit is known to have minor flooding and standing water.
Hey Dan, Having proper foot gear is excellent advise from our resident RN Bruce. Also he mentioned some basicfirst aid kit which should include but not limited to: topical antibiotics ointment, anti-bacterial liquid soap(individualized bottle) and insect repellent. Additionally, portable water purification or tablets, flashlightswith plenty of spare batteries and candles. Even though my kids are all teenagers, I would strictly checktheir daily hygiene by making damn sure they're washing their hands thoroughly. First signs of any skinrash and scratches (from mosquito bites) is an open invitation to new and strange parasites. Food bornedisease will spoil any vacation there. Even though they may have expensive water repellent shoes or boots, that "brown water" will eventualharvest harmful bacterial on the exterior surface if not washed immediately. I had to discard a brand newwater sport sandals because it stank so bad underneath my bed. It was fungus heaven..... And finally, please make sure your family is up to date on immunization, especially against tetanus andand other diseases common to the tropics. Respectfully -- Jake

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
On top of the other items mentioned, I would suggest Avon's Skin so soft and they also sell 10 Avon SSS Bug Guard moisturizing Towelettes because mosquito's are a real problem during rainy season. I would also take triple antibiotic creme in case of a skin infection.
  • Like 1

Art2ro
Posted
Posted

Dan,When traveling in the Philippines, it would be advantageous if one has a high ground clearance vehicle like a 4 wheel drive with a winch just in case one gets off the beaten path in the provinces and low laying areas in the cities prone to flooding waist high, been there, done that and it's scary, my "Little Red" Toyota almost floated down stream during a flash flood in the Province of Zambales long ago when we lived in Olongapo City in 1998! The rainy season in conjunction with high tide and unpredictable hurricanes in the Philippines is not a fun vacation! So it's important to know your surroundings just in case one needs to find high ground in a flooding situation! Take care and be safe when you all get here! Art

• Like 1

Bruce
Posted
Posted

Speaking of the rainy season, I actually looked it up and yes, June, July and August are the high points of the rain graph. However, out on Samar, they say the rainy season starts in October. I guess they never saw the graph.......hehehehehe

Patsada
Posted
Posted

....much depends on WHERE in the Philippines you go....For example here in Camiguin, in June/July there is absolutely no rainy season yet which usually starts Nov and peaks in DEC/JAN...and even during the rainy season, we usually don't encounter floods, standing brown waters and landslides...so choose your destination well and you can avoid a lot of possible trouble Cheers,Patsada