Balikbayan Stamp

JeffersonFlies
Posted
Posted

So I have an annoying problem that I'm not sure anyone else has had or knows what to do. I entered the country in July with my asawa and we both received the balikbayan stamp.. so that I'm good until July 2012, then I left for a short trip just this past week and came back and was given the 21 day stamp. I tried to get the bb stamp, but not being with my asawa he wouldn't give it - understandable. My question is, can I get away with staying until July 2012 because of the first stamp, or does the second one supersede that and force me to start paying visa fees?

Art2ro
Posted
Posted
So I have an annoying problem that I'm not sure anyone else has had or knows what to do. I entered the country in July with my asawa and we both received the balikbayan stamp.. so that I'm good until July 2012, then I left for a short trip just this past week and came back and was given the 21 day stamp. I tried to get the bb stamp, but not being with my asawa he wouldn't give it - understandable. My question is, can I get away with staying until July 2012 because of the first stamp, or does the second one supersede that and force me to start paying visa fees?
Sorry to say , but the second one supersedes the BB stamp and you will have to start paying the visa extension fees since you reentered the Philippines without your wife, therefore you became a regular tourist, because your 21 day visa stamp proves it.

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
Also to add to what Art wrote above, they are using computers nowadays, so they know the last time you entered, so if you do not get a visa, or leave and come back with your wife to get a new bb stamp, then if you did overstay, when you go to leave they would most likely treat you as an overstaying person and you could even possibly end up blacklisted, so best to not chance it. One suggestion I have is, go to the local BI office with your wife with both your passports and marriage certificate (if your last names are different on the passports), and nicely ask to see a supervisor and nicely explain to them the situation, and ask them for their advice and if they could some how give you the bb stamp, who knows, it might be worth a try since your situation is definitely unique, but if they do, then make sure they scan it into their computer, and if they don't, then they will advise you on what visas options you have.
  • Like 2

JeffersonFlies
Posted
Posted

I gotta say this is wildly different from what my Fil-Am friends are telling me. An American born Filipino is telling me that she, and her entire family go every year, get the 21 day stamp, stay for 3 months or 6 months or whatever and never have any problem when leaving the country even tho they never extend their visas.. I know these people very well, so I know they're not lieing, and this is as recent as this year.. but maybe different rules apply for white people..

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
I gotta say this is wildly different from what my Fil-Am friends are telling me. An American born Filipino is telling me that she, and her entire family go every year, get the 21 day stamp, stay for 3 months or 6 months or whatever and never have any problem when leaving the country even tho they never extend their visas.. I know these people very well, so I know they're not lieing, and this is as recent as this year.. but maybe different rules apply for white people..
If they are FilAm's then they probably get the bb stamp without even asking for it and may not even know they got it. Yes unfortunately for us, the laws are different for those of us who are not of Filipino descent.

Art2ro
Posted
Posted
If they are FilAm's then they probably get the bb stamp without even asking for it and may not even know they got it. Yes unfortunately for us, the laws are different for those of us who are not of Filipino descent.
The immigration official just may have overlooked their immigration status, because a Filipino born in the U.S. is a full pledge American and not a Filipino even though one looks like a Filipino and is considered an American tourist when entering the Philippines and should only be given the regular tourist 21 days visa stamp, unless his/her spouse, the sponsor is a Filipino or a dual citizen and if they over stay on a 21 day tourist visa, they are just like any other foreigners over staying and will pay the penalties and or circumstances!

• 1 month later...
Art2ro
Posted
Posted (edited)

For those people on a BB stamp and soon to expire, you can avail the every 6 month visa extension intervals good up to 2 years! Your choice, the every 2 month visa extension or the every 6 month visa extension? I just came from our local BI office today and got my 6 month visa extension and renewed my expired ACR I-CARD too! Each and every BI office should know this, because the memorandum to RA 6768 is still in effect, see below! http://immigration.g...d=239&Itemid=80 THE BALIKBAYAN PRIVILEGE (R.A.6768 as amended)MEMORANDUM dated July 1, 2008 issued by Atty. Edgardo L. Mendoza, Chief, IRD By legal definition, a Balikbayan is: 1. A Filipino citizen who has been continuously out of the Philippines for a period of at least 1 year;2. A Filipino overseas worker; or3. A former Filipino citizen and his or her family, who had been naturalized in a foreign country and comes or returns to the Philippines. • The “Balikbayan Privilege” may be availed of by foreign family members of all 3 classifications provided that they travel together everytime they enter the country (MEMORANDUM dated July 1, 2008 issued by Atty. Edgardo L. Mendoza, Chief, IRD). • “FAMILY” shall mean the spouse and the children of the Balikbayan who are not Balikbayan in their own right traveling with the latter to the Philippines. (Section 2 (b) of R.A. no. 9174, amending R.A. 6768, entitled: “An Act Instituting a “BALIKBAYAN PROGRAM”, by providing Additional Benefits and Privileges to Balikbayan and for other purposes”). • Correspondingly, all Balikbayans 14 years and below and 60 years of age shall be allowed to extend their temporary visitor visa under Section 9a of the Philippine Immigration Act of 1940 as amended, for a maximum period of 6 months for every extension PROVIDED that all appropriate fees are paid. Thus, Balikbayans are allowed a maximum total stay of 2 years inclusive of all extensions. (MEMORANDUM ORDER NO. ADD – 02 – 011 dated 11 February 2002).

Edited by Art2ro

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

As others have said, the second stamp supersedes the first. My friend was in the same situation about 1 year ago and decided to play dumb. He was told by plenty of people that his old BB stamp was not valid but waited until the old BB stamp expired before going to BI to face the music. He was a used car salesman in his working life and pretty good at playing dumb. Luckily he got a corrupt BI official who 'fixed' his situation for him but the money he paid was enough for 2 people to take a cheap flight out of the country and back and thus get a new 1 year stamp legitimately. This is Philippines. You situation WILL be different. It depends which official you talk to and when you do it. A worst case scenario would, (most likely) have you paying all the tourist visa fees that you missed plus late payment penalties and possibly a fine.

Art2ro
Posted
Posted
As others have said, the second stamp supersedes the first. My friend was in the same situation about 1 year ago and decided to play dumb. He was told by plenty of people that his old BB stamp was not valid but waited until the old BB stamp expired before going to BI to face the music. He was a used car salesman in his working life and pretty good at playing dumb. Luckily he got a corrupt BI official who 'fixed' his situation for him but the money he paid was enough for 2 people to take a cheap flight out of the country and back and thus get a new 1 year stamp legitimately. This is Philippines. Your situation WILL be different. It depends which official you talk to and when you do it. A worst case scenario would, (most likely) have you paying all the tourist visa fees that you missed plus late payment penalties and possibly a fine.
At least everyone has choices, but doing it illegally shouldn't be one of them, at least not here in the Philippines when it concerns immigration laws or anywhere else for that matter! Those who play with fire, will get burnt eventually! The worst case scenario, is getting caught doing business illegally with a corrupt BI official!

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
At least everyone has choices, but doing it illegally shouldn't be one of them, at least not here in the Philippines when it concerns immigration laws or anywhere else for that matter! Those who play with fire, will get burnt eventually! The worst case scenario, is getting caught doing business illegally with a corrupt BI official!
That's a good reason to bring it to light. People from most countries do not expect to walk into a government office and be solicited for business by an illegal, corrupt official. Those people who are unaware (or playing dumb) may not realize what the worst case scenario is, even though they walked into a legal government office, in good faith, and talked to a uniformed and authorized official. Better to just follow the good advice that is offered here. If someone offers you a deal that seems too good to be legal then it is likely illegal.
  • Like 2