Balikbayan Stamp

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

Republic Act No. 9225, also known as the "Citizenship Retention and Re-Acquisition Act of 2003" recognizes dual citizenship. The application fee is P2,500 plus P500 for the express lane. Dual citizens has the same rights as citizens, including the right to own unlimited property. According to the U.S. Department of State website, dual citizenship does not affect your status as an American citizen. Recently, I transfered ownership of a six hectares property to my sister. My wife, a non-Filipino American had to sign giving her consent to the transfer, while declaring at the same time that she has no ownership rights. According to the lawyer, this document is to prevent complications under US law. JJR

Art2ro
Posted
Posted
For those people on a BB stamp and soon to expire, you can avail the every 6 month visa extension intervals good up to 2 years! Your choice, the every 2 month visa extension or the every 6 month visa extension? I just came from our local BI office today and got my 6 month visa extension and renewed my expired ACR I-CARD too! Each and every BI office should know this, because the memorandum to RA 6768 is still in effect, see below! http://immigration.g...d=239&Itemid=80 THE BALIKBAYAN PRIVILEGE (R.A.6768 as amended)MEMORANDUM dated July 1, 2008 issued by Atty. Edgardo L. Mendoza, Chief, IRD By legal definition, a Balikbayan is: 1. A Filipino citizen who has been continuously out of the Philippines for a period of at least 1 year;2. A Filipino overseas worker; or3. A former Filipino citizen and his or her family, who had been naturalized in a foreign country and comes or returns to the Philippines. • The “Balikbayan Privilege” may be availed of by foreign family members of all 3 classifications provided that they travel together everytime they enter the country (MEMORANDUM dated July 1, 2008 issued by Atty. Edgardo L. Mendoza, Chief, IRD). • “FAMILY” shall mean the spouse and the children of the Balikbayan who are not Balikbayan in their own right traveling with the latter to the Philippines. (Section 2 (b) of R.A. no. 9174, amending R.A. 6768, entitled: “An Act Instituting a “BALIKBAYAN PROGRAM”, by providing Additional Benefits and Privileges to Balikbayan and for other purposes”). • Alll Balikbayans 14 years and below and 60 years of age shall be allowed to extend their temporary visitor visa under Section 9a of the Philippine Immigration Act of 1940 as amended, for a maximum period of 6 months for every extension PROVIDED that all appropriate fees are paid. Thus, Balikbayans are allowed a maximum total stay of 2 years inclusive of all extensions. (MEMORANDUM ORDER NO. ADD – 02 – 011 dated 11 February 2002).
My point on this topic concerns balikbayans only who haven't yet desired to become a dual citizen or a non-Filipino who doesn't have a 13a visa and is married to a Filipino(a) and just want to extend their stay longer when their BB stamp is about to expire by choosing the 2 or 6 month interval visa extensions that is available for their option!

Art2ro
Posted
Posted (edited)
memorandum to RA 6768 is still in effect, see below! http://immigration.g...d=239&Itemid=80 THE BALIKBAYAN PRIVILEGE (R.A.6768 as amended)MEMORANDUM dated July 1, 2008 issued by Atty. Edgardo L. Mendoza, Chief, IRD By legal definition, a Balikbayan is: 3. A former Filipino citizen and his or her family, who had been naturalized in a foreign country and comes or returns to the Philippines. • The “Balikbayan Privilege” may be availed of by foreign family members of all 3 classifications provided that they travel together everytime they enter the country (MEMORANDUM dated July 1, 2008 issued by Atty. Edgardo L. Mendoza, Chief, IRD). • “FAMILY” shall mean the spouse and the children of the Balikbayan who are not Balikbayan in their own right traveling with the latter to the Philippines. (Section 2 (b) of R.A. no. 9174, amending R.A. 6768, entitled: “An Act Instituting a “BALIKBAYAN PROGRAM”, by providing Additional Benefits and Privileges to Balikbayan and for other purposes”). • Alll Balikbayans 14 years and below and 60 years of age shall be allowed to extend their temporary visitor visa under Section 9a of the Philippine Immigration Act of 1940 as amended, for a maximumperiod of 6 months for every extension PROVIDED that all appropriate fees are paid. Thus, Balikbayans are allowed a maximum total stay of 2 years inclusive of all extensions. (MEMORANDUM ORDER NO. ADD – 02 – 011 dated 11 February 2002).
My point on this topic concerns balikbayans only who haven't yet desired to become a dual citizen or a non-Filipino who doesn't have a 13a visa and is married to a Filipino(a) and just want to extend their stay longer when their BB stamp is about to expire by choosing the 2 or 6 month interval visa extensions that is available for their option!
The reason why I mentioned this is because most of the BOI offices will not acknowledge the fact that one can get a 6 month extension when one's BB stamp is about to expire and will push the 2 month extensions! For those who have to travel long distances just to get to a BOI office, the 6 months extensions will save them the back and forth long distance travel every 2 months! When I submitted my 6 month extension, the guy at the counter told me that they only issue 2 month extensions! I told him that wasn't so and I showed him the memorandum and email from the main BOI office in Manila stating that 6 months extension were available to Balikbayans and their foreign family according to the memorandum, when their BB stamp is about to expire! They gave me a 6 month extension, but it cost me P11,059 including my ACR I-CARD with penalties since it has expired 8 months and plus xerox copy of my U.S. passport! I have to wait 3 to 5 days to get my ACR I-CARD next week. So just think, if one lives out of town or even has to fly or ferry boat in just to go to their nearest BOI office! Your choice, the 2 month or 6 month extension? Regular tourists don't have the 6 month extension option like Balikbayans do! Some would say, why not just leave the country and return for another BB stamp? For me and for others, that would not be cost effective with the price of airfare and accommodations nowadays and some don't want to stay another year, but just only for an additional 6 months or less! Edited by Art2ro
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
MikeB
Posted
Posted
For those people on a BB stamp and soon to expire, you can avail the every 6 month visa extension intervals good up to 2 years! Your choice, the every 2 month visa extension or the every 6 month visa extension? I just came from our local BI office today and got my 6 month visa extension and renewed my expired ACR I-CARD too! Each and every BI office should know this, because the memorandum to RA 6768 is still in effect, see below! http://immigration.g...d=239&Itemid=80THE BALIKBAYAN PRIVILEGE (R.A.6768 as amended)MEMORANDUM dated July 1, 2008 issued by Atty. Edgardo L. Mendoza, Chief, IRDBy legal definition, a Balikbayan is:1. A Filipino citizen who has been continuously out of the Philippines for a period of at least 1 year;2. A Filipino overseas worker; or3. A former Filipino citizen and his or her family, who had been naturalized in a foreign country and comes or returns to the Philippines.• The “Balikbayan Privilege” may be availed of by foreign family members of all 3 classifications provided that they travel together everytime they enter the country (MEMORANDUM dated July 1, 2008 issued by Atty. Edgardo L. Mendoza, Chief, IRD).• “FAMILY” shall mean the spouse and the children of the Balikbayan who are not Balikbayan in their own right traveling with the latter to the Philippines. (Section 2 (b) of R.A. no. 9174, amending R.A. 6768, entitled: “An Act Instituting a “BALIKBAYAN PROGRAM”, by providing Additional Benefits and Privileges to Balikbayan and for other purposes”).• Correspondingly, all Balikbayans 14 years and below and 60 years of age shall be allowed to extend their temporary visitor visa under Section 9a of the Philippine Immigration Act of 1940 as amended, for a maximum period of 6 months for every extension PROVIDED that all appropriate fees are paid. Thus, Balikbayans are allowed a maximum total stay of 2 years inclusive of all extensions. (MEMORANDUM ORDER NO. ADD – 02 – 011 dated 11 February 2002).
These rules seem to pertain only to either Filipino nationals who have been out of country for at least a year or former Filipine citizens. I think I read that it also applies to current Philipino citizens who leave the country for a brief time (1 day) and their spouces. Anyone know?

Art2ro
Posted
Posted

It doesn't only pertain to Filipinos! Read the sentences highlighted in red!3. A former Filipino citizen and his or her family, who had been naturalized in a foreign country and comes or returns to the Philippines.• The “Balikbayan Privilege” may be availed of by foreign family members of all 3 classifications provided that they travel together everytime they enter the country (MEMORANDUM dated July 1, 2008 issued by Atty. Edgardo L. Mendoza, Chief, IRD).• “FAMILY” shall mean the spouse and the children of the Balikbayan who are not Balikbayan in their own right traveling with the latter to the Philippines. (Section 2 (b) of R.A. no. 9174, amending R.A. 6768, entitled: “An Act Instituting a “BALIKBAYAN PROGRAM”, by providing Additional Benefits and Privileges to Balikbayan and for other purposes”).

MikeB
Posted
Posted
It doesn't only pertain to Filipinos! Read the sentences highlighted in red!3. A former Filipino citizen and his or her family, who had been naturalized in a foreign country and comes or returns to the Philippines.• The “Balikbayan Privilege” may be availed of by foreign family members of all 3 classifications provided that they travel together everytime they enter the country (MEMORANDUM dated July 1, 2008 issued by Atty. Edgardo L. Mendoza, Chief, IRD).• “FAMILY” shall mean the spouse and the children of the Balikbayan who are not Balikbayan in their own right traveling with the latter to the Philippines. (Section 2 (b) of R.A. no. 9174, amending R.A. 6768, entitled: “An Act Instituting a “BALIKBAYAN PROGRAM”, by providing Additional Benefits and Privileges to Balikbayan and for other purposes”).
Yes, I understand that. I left that out for sake of brevity. My question, simply stated, is does it also apply to current Filipino citizens and their families. My understanding is that they are also included.

Art2ro
Posted
Posted (edited)
Yes, I understand that. I left that out for sake of brevity. My question, simply stated, is does it also apply to current Filipino citizens and their families. My understanding is that they are also included.
Are you asking about a Filipino family who doesn't have a foreign relationship through marriage and have never been out of the Philippines? In that case the answer would be no, where the Balikbayan Program doesn't apply, because they do not fall under any of the 3 categories and would have to retain their own exit/re-entry visas as a regular tourist because they won't qualify for the 1 yr free stay, unless they are OFWs out of the country for at least a year and sponsored by their employer and on vacation in the Philippines which then the Balikbayan Program would apply, also their immigration status may have changed because they became a permanent resident of the country they have been working in for many years which may give them rights to petition their immediate family on an immigrant visa of the country where they have their employment as an OFW! Example, my wife's cousin, a single Filipina is an OFW in Australia for 5 years and was able to make her immigration resident status permanent allowing her get her Australian citizenship and therefore able to petition her mother to live with her in Australia! The "Balikbayan Program" is pretty much straight forward and easy to understand, just read it for what it is and don't read too much into it! Just understand the 3 categories that qualifies one to be a "Balikbayan"! By legal definition, a Balikbayan is:1. A Filipino citizen who has been continuously out of the Philippines for a period of at least 1 year2. A Filipino overseas worker (OFW)3. A former Filipino citizen (a citizen, permanent resident or dual citzen of another country) and his or her foreign or Filipino spouse and their children, who had been naturalized in a foreign country and comes or returns to the Philippines. Edited by Art2ro