The Streets Do Seem To Be Getting More Dangerous

Panserhansen
Posted
Posted
I agree with the post directly above and I wonder what is the purpose of constantly posting these robbery and scam stories. They are a daily occurrence in almost every city in the world. I think we are all aware of the dangers here but they are not much different from almost anywhere else and yes, I know I have no rights here (don't need to be reminded daily). Take necessary precautions but you can't be afraid to walk out of the house or stick up for yourself when necessary.
Agree 100 %. I check in both here and other forums much less than before. It's depressing only reading news about robbing and other crimes. There are crimes committed every day in Norway and elsewhere as well. Been here almost three years and never had a single threatening situation, apart from a motorbike accident which was my own fault. I drive alone all around Cebu on my motorbike, live among locals and feel safe everywhere. Would like to link to some nice pictures and trip report from my motor bike trip this weekend, but I am not allowed to do so, so you better stick with the bad news...!
  • Like 1

MikeB
Posted
Posted
I agree with the post directly above and I wonder what is the purpose of constantly posting these robbery and scam stories. They are a daily occurrence in almost every city in the world. I think we are all aware of the dangers here but they are not much different from almost anywhere else and yes, I know I have no rights here (don't need to be reminded daily). Take necessary precautions but you can't be afraid to walk out of the house or stick up for yourself when necessary.
Agree 100 %. I check in both here and other forums much less than before. It's depressing only reading news about robbing and other crimes. There are crimes committed every day in Norway and elsewhere as well. Been here almost three years and never had a single threatening situation, apart from a motorbike accident which was my own fault. I drive alone all around Cebu on my motorbike, live among locals and feel safe everywhere. Would like to link to some nice pictures and trip report from my motor bike trip this weekend, but I am not allowed to do so, so you better stick with the bad news...!
Why don't you post them in the gallery? I'm sure everyone would like to see them.

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

Well my friend Lars (Panserhansen), MikeB and others, I am sorry for all the bad news stories, seems some days are much worse than others, but if you guys with boots on the ground would post more about your life there, then those stories would surely override the bad news stories, and besides that, no one has to read all the posts on any forum. I personally feel members need to know the good and the bad, or we will be reading about a lot more foreigner deaths in months and years to come. Forums are to learn from, so how can anyone learn if the forums are censored and only post the good. Sorry but the Philippines is not all sugar and spice and those who know their way around will probably never have a problem, but what about the newbie who does not know enough to not flash his cash, or to not wear his fancy jewelry that he thinks he needs to impress the women with, or maybe not know enough to not walk around with his big fancy laptop and cameras showing. I have been on forums for many years and I have always seen all the news stories posted about all the happenings going on which included all the crimes, so when MikeB brought up his concern, I went to some other forums and looked, and low and behold, each and every news story I had posted and more were on those other forums, so the only difference was that those forums also had more other posts to offset the bad news. So if you guys that live there do not like reading about the bad, please feel free to post about the good and about your lives in the Philippines. When my wife and I are in the Philippines we post about life there, but when we are here in the US, then all I have is what I read on the news and get in emails from friends, yet as I posted in one post, even with all the bad stories, I still walk around and will continue to do so, so if people use their heads, then the Philippines and the rest of the world can be safe for them, and if not, then they can become victims. What many of you seem to forget is, that you used to be newbies at one time, and learned what to do and not do from forums and life's experiences, and all I am trying to do is prevent people from learning the hard way. PLEASE feel free to post good news stories you read, and about your life in the Philippines. As far as Lars not being allowed to post the photos of his trips, that is not true as far as I know, so maybe what he is saying is that he is not allowed to post the link to his blog which has the photos of his trips :SugarwareZ-034: but that is the only rule Tom has that I know of, no links to other blogs, so if there is another reason why Lars is not allowed to posts photos of his trips that I do not know of, then please tell me about them??? All members should feel free to post about trips they take and add photos in the posts, or set up a members gallery of their own on the forum. In fact we welcome them to do so and I would look forward to reading about Lars and others trips and see their photos.

Art2ro
Posted
Posted (edited)

It’s good to know what’s happening in one’s neighborhood and surrounding areas so one knows what areas to avoid, especially newbies on vacation here in the Philippines! One would only have to turn on the TV and watch the local news to get an update of what‘s going on! Me, personally I hardly ever watch the local news, because it‘s just the same old thing! Anyway, whenever I turn on my computer, my home page already has enough news head liners to actually read what’s up in the local and international news! News on forums, I just browse through them briefly and go on to other topics of interest! Nothing to report here! As I've mentioned consistently, we live in nice, quiet and safe subdivision! Hardly ever heard of constant crimes in our area! Just once in a while we get the occasional car napping and purse snatching from outsiders mingling with the common crowds impersonating that they live here and casing certain areas to burglarize on another day! No body is immune to any crime, it happens in anyone's neighborhood sooner or later! We just happen to have adequate security in our neighborhood to take care of the bad guys! Where do we live one may ask? Here: http://www.google.co...biw=972&bih=551

Edited by Art2ro

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
It’s good to know what’s happening in one’s neighborhood and surrounding areas so one knows what areas to avoid, especially newbies on vacation here in the Philippines! One would only have to turn on the TV and watch the local news to get an update of what‘s going on! Me, personally I hardly ever watch the local news, because it‘s just the same old thing! Anyway, whenever I turn on my computer, my home page already has enough news head liners to actually read what’s up in the local and international news! News on forums, I just browse through them briefly and go on to other topics of interest!
Exactly, those that do not feel they need it, or do not wish to read it, can just skip over it. No one forces anyone to read all stories, the only people on the forum who are sort of forced to read each and every post are the moderators, yet I am sure some of us skip or glance over posts as well. The old saying ignorance is bliss just does not cut it because not knowing something will either cost you money or possibly put you in harms way.

brock
Posted
Posted

I want to know about all the bad things that happen, So that I understand more.

Inspector
Posted
Posted
:SugarwareZ-034: :mocking: I refuse to allow paranoia become part of my daily life, and avoid depressing, negative ... news. Life is already full of enough depression... no need to magnify it by spending my happy times reading it non stop.
  • Like 1