Travel Insurance

Bruce
Posted
Posted

I was preparing for my next trip to Phils and called my insurance agent for health insurance. But, due to some 'terrorist act' in June, the company was no longer writing a travel policies for travel to Phils. The agent recommended an online compay so I when there and bought $200,000 USD coverage with a $1,000 USD deductible for $85 for 30 days of coverage. www.mnui.com

• Like 2

MikeB
Posted
Posted
I was preparing for my next trip to Phils and called my insurance agent for health insurance. But, due to some 'terrorist act' in June, the company was no longer writing a travel policies for travel to Phils. The agent recommended an online compay so I when there and bought $200,000 USD coverage with a $1,000 USD deductible for $85 for 30 days of coverage. www.mnui.com
I also purchased a short term HCC policy when I came over. There are a couple of companies that offered it, I went with Atlas. I forget the exact charges but it was very reasonable and easy. Thankfully, I had no claims but I wouldn't go without it. You can renew up to 12 months, I believe.

Art2ro
Posted
Posted
I also purchased a short term HCC policy when I came over. There are a couple of companies that offered it, I went with Atlas. I forget the exact charges but it was very reasonable and easy. Thankfully, I had no claims but I wouldn't go without it. You can renew up to 12 months, I believe.
What are some of the details? Is your travel medical insurance a reimbursement type of coverage or do they pay directly to the hospital or doctor avoiding upfront cash payouts before getting admitted or released from a hospital? If so, it's a good deal and if not, it's still cash out of your pocket for reimbursement later!

MikeB
Posted
Posted
What are some of the details? Is your travel medical insurance a reimbursement type of coverage or do they pay directly to the hospital or doctor avoiding upfront cash payouts before getting admitted or released from a hospital? If so, it's a good deal and if not, it's still cash out of your pocket for reimbursement later!
This is international short term travel health insurance, designed to cover you when you traveling out of country where your insurance may not cover. Any medical charges have to be paid up front and reimbursed, at least that's what I was told. In my case it was a lot better then nothing because I had voluntarily left my job and did not want COBRA, which is much more. I now have Blue Cross Phil and an ID card that should be accepted in lieu of any upfront charge, provided it's an accredited hospital.

Art2ro
Posted
Posted
This is international short term travel health insurance, designed to cover you when you traveling out of country where your insurance may not cover. Any medical charges have to be paid up front and reimbursed, at least that's what I was told. In my case it was a lot better then nothing because I had voluntarily left my job and did not want COBRA, which is much more. I now have Blue Cross Phil and an ID card that should be accepted in lieu of any upfront charge, provided it's an accredited hospital.
Yes, Blue Cross of the Philippines is one of the best health insurance coverage here in the philippines IMHO as long one doesn't have any other insurance and no prior health issues! Premiums can be expensive though for older people 65 and over! We have TRICARE, a military health care system via a 75% reimbursement, but we pay no monthly or annual premiums, because it's one of our benefits living overseas! It's not a perfect system, but it's all we have here in the Philippines to rely on of our medical needs!