Are Some Expats In Denial, Or Wishing To Be?

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

I seriously ask this question because of comments made on this forum, emails and pm's I have gotten from some members who do not wish to know about crimes happening in the Philippines, while at the same time I get just as many from people who want to be aware of the happenings, so what is the answer? Could it be that there happens to be many more crimes against non Filipinos being reported which makes it seem like there are more negatives lately? Or could it be that the news was not as good years ago? Or could it actually be that crime is getting worse? I have been reading the news online for as long as I have been able to, and I can honestly say that in all these years that I have never read about as many crimes against foreigners as what has been happening nowadays, so while there are shootings and stabbings right here in the US, there are over 300 million people, so the amount of serious crimes, shootings and stabbings is actually minuscule in compared to the population, but on the other hand, the amount of crimes against the very small number of expats and visitors living in or visiting the Philippines, seems to be going off the scale, and it seems some people would rather not know about it, than hear about it. :89: If we do not hear about the crimes, does that mean they did not happen? Could we be safer to know about them, or safer to not know? Could it be that the old saying that ignorance is bliss is true, or just the opposite? :hystery: I do not think any of us are posting more stories than usual, I think it is that there are many more stories than usual to post about, so it might seem overwhelming to some. So I would like to ask, would you the members of this forum rather know about crimes happening to other foreigner in the Philippines, or not hear about it, and in that way maybe feel a false sense of security? Tom has made a section called Crimes and the Expat, so I would like to suggest to those who do not wish to hear about them should avoid reading that section, and for members who wish to post crime stories, to post them in that section rather than the news section. For me, I read the news because a smart consumer gets the best deals, so by knowing the bad that is happening, I can avoid doing the things that those people who end up victims seem to be doing. I have made adjustments in my life and feel maybe others need to as well, but at the same time I keep living my life and refuse to allow anything or anyone to stand in my way of having a good time and enjoying our life in the Philippines. I will not stop going to the Philippines if crime continues to get worse, but I will be more cautious what we do while there and how we do it. So all, while some might call it paranoid, I call it being street smart, so would you rather know, or not know about the crimes going on? and I would be happy to follow the majority. I personally do not feel it is a forums job to just promote what the forum is about, or in this case the Philippines, with only positive stories, I feel we should also make people aware of how to stay safe and enjoy their time in the Philippines and while traveling to and from, but maybe I am totally wrong?? :89:

• Like 2

Bruce
Posted
Posted

Well I hate reality shows on TV, but I do like reading about current events and crime is certainly a current event. So I shall be reading and reading and reading some more! As for those readers who may be thinking about their 1st trip to Manila, if you PM me, I can set you up with a friend who can steer you around, show you the sights and keep your foreign butt out of trouble! Or if you like the more rural settings and a much quieter life, I can set you up to go to Catbalogan Samar where you will have a much slower and quieter experience than manila or Cebu. In any case, GO! Don't be put off by naysayers or crime reports. Crime and related issues are all over the world. I have been in Phils 6 times and soon on the 7th trip. Glad I made the decision to go.

Art2ro
Posted
Posted (edited)

Concerning crimes of any type, I’m just interested reading the one line sentence headliners depending where it occurred and who were the victims. What ever catches my interest, I would then read the entire article or just find it on the web if I missed it on the TV local news. Anyway, it's all on my main home page, with news headliners that are all there to browse. When crimes are reported on forums, I just browse through them briefly and if they are too lengthy to read, I go on to other topics of interest.Crimes are local and international, it can happen anywhere! So, always be aware of your surroundings, be observant, avoid places that are in PNP or military conflicts with Muslim factions and or with drug lords, be knowledgeable where and how to get help when needed! It's good to be well informed about what goes on in the Philippines, because it could be the difference between life or death! Seriously!

Edited by Art2ro
  • Like 1

Garpo
Posted
Posted

Ever since a friend of mine was murdered in Palowan it hit close to home and I pay pretty close attention to what seems to be an ever greater number of expat type crimes. It is something that does concern me and is one of the big reasons I do not live in one of the bigger or more populated area of the Philippines. I might also add that it is my filipina wife that has noticed the increase more than me and it is one of her major concerns and ways heavy into our decision to a possible return to the US.

roy2cebu
Posted
Posted

Yes, think we should be aware. Makes one alert to potential danger.....no good living blindly in a 'fool's paradise'

brock
Posted
Posted

I think the crime rate against foreigners has increased a lot within the past few years, And I personally want to know about everything that goes on.Its no good living with blinkers on, You have got to be aware of the bad as well as the good. Brock

Candyman
Posted
Posted

Yes, I like to be informed as to what is going on and where ! There is not one ounce of good, buryiing your head in the sand and thinking that it just can't happen to you ! It all to often does, and to be aware of the hazards and danger areas, may just save your life, or those of your loved ones !

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

It would be curious to know actual crime statistics perpetrated against Foreigners. It seems to me the amount of violent crime against Foreigners reported in the newspapers’ has increased. Is it because they are included in the news more often or that there is more crime?I don’t necessarily want to see every crime listed in the local newspapers posted on the forum.Three years ago or so a coworkers Filipina wife was murdered by her Nephew while she was vacationing with family, we knew her a nice woman. He killed her taking her bank book and ATM card a few thousand peso’s cash then buried her in a shallow grave nearby. He was unable to use the ATM card or checks scampered off and hid out with relatives’ on another island never to be found. John and her were married over thirty years about ready to retire.

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

It seems to me that these killings run in rashes, so when reported on the forum, they then look like that is all the forum is about that day, or that week, yet then there are many days or weeks without any, so when the forum is taken in total, it really isn't as bad as some people may feel it is. Look at the From the News Desk section and see for yourself. As for the crimes against foreigners, I doubt they would ever publish the numbers, but IMHO there is a lot more of it as time goes on, but we also have to take into account that the tourists going to the Philippines and those moving to, have grown in leaps and bounds. Also new people are much more likely to become victims of crime because they do not know their way around and because they will usually still have their home country attitude, so will likely resist more often, yet I know of a few long term expats who seem to still feel it is more about "how dare they even try on me" so they will probably also fight back. I myself would fight back after I have assessed the situation and know for sure that I would only be dealing with one or two criminals and that I felt I would win without injury to myself or the persons I may be with. No one likes to be a victim of a crime and lose face, but better to lose face than lose ones life, so if I had the slightest doubt that I would win, then I rather become a sheep than a dead duck.

• Like 2

sjp52
Posted
Posted

Keep up the good work Lee