Are Whites Racists? A Filipina Pov

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Yes, some are just racist a-holes but many others think themselves superior because they have more wealth than the average Filipino.

• Like 2

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

To clarify this topic for some who may read it down the road, this topic was made in response to THIS POST and yes it does seem like some of the foreigners I have met in the Philippines are racists based on their rants about some nationalities. I am not pointing my finger at the person who made the other post with my comments, I am just generalizing. I have also found that when a person is racist against one race, nationality type of person etc, they are usually racist against many others as well, so if you happen to be with a person who insults one race, you can bet they harbor ill feeling toward many others types of people as well. The big question in my mind after finding out that a person is a racist towards any type of person is, am I exactly the same race, religion, etc, and do I come from the same state, town or country that person came from, and if not then it would be fair to assume (knowing what assume means) that the person in question might also hate my background, race or religion, so therefore I tend to steer clear of all racists once it has been proven to me that is what they are. So as the op wrote, some are and some are not, and I believe some use the wrong words which might make them appear to be racist, I know I sure screw up in many of my posts and I am trying to be more careful, but I am careful to not appear to be something I am not, and I am not a racist for sure.

OldUgly&Cranky
Posted
Posted

I have to honestly say i have never seen a more resourceful people , proud people , ability to make the best of the situation they have !!! always try and smile even when things are so hard for them !! never have i seen a more welcoming people more loving and family oriented and i heard of a saying that allot of Filipinos use im not quite sure if its the right wording but here it is ! ito ay kung ano ang diyos ay sa store para sa amin kaya ito !!! meaning if this is what god has in store for us so be it !! " sorry if the saying is wrong " :541: , i have to say my wife used to worry if i would be happy at her house or her mothers house because maybe she thought i would only be happy in a 5 star hotel or some place fancy but i said if i was unhappy i would would let you know ! I LOVE sitting with locals have some rhum and san magoos is there times that the philippines makes me upset YES of course is there times when my home country makes me upset YES of course !!! i can remember a time when i was at my mother in-laws house and we went to play pool and i ask my wife to get me a small bottle of rhum and i offered it to some of the locals and they drank over half i was a little upset at first about it but kept it inside and didnt say anything a hour later the owner of the pool table came back from the cockfight and seen me there went into the house and talked to his wife next thing you know he came to me and invited me and the wife for dinner what came out on the table then a 26 ounce bottle of rhum and told me have as much as i want !! so i thought to myself WOW i could have made things a huge mess if i made a big deal about a little bottle of rhum and all of that night had a great time me getting to tell them about canada and they had a great time getting to tell me about there home area !! so i guess the moral of my story is there is good and bad in every race on this big blue ball we call earth i have no time for class warfare thinking im better then anyone else i dont judge you but your looks or how much money you have i judge you by your actions and this is the way i think EVERYONE should look at each other !!! sorry if i rambled on too much and i usually try not to get involved too much with this subject coz it does tend to bring up mixed emotions in people but i had to put my 2 centavos in :) take care all GOD BLESS O-U-C

• Like 4

Bundy
Posted
Posted (edited)
I know the answer is that some are and some are not, although quite a few I have met in the Philippines since getting married have a superiority attitude so I looked up racist only to find it defines a racist as a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race. If all things were equal and Filipinos were afforded the same opportunities as their white visiting counter parts then I am quite sure there would be no doubt in anyones mind that Filipinos are in fact equal in every way and superior in many ways, kindness being one of them but given the economic situation in our country which allows too much time on the hands of many Filipinos and too little education, some are not as worldly but more than make up for it with their ingenuity. Having met many educated and properly fed Filipinos in the US goes to prove my point. Everyone is better at some things than other things, so given the complexity of life in my country, I am sorry to tell everyone who thinks you are superior, that you are not and I would take an educated Filipino over many foreigners I have met in my country every time.
Yes i agree with what you say, however you must also realise that racism is spread throughout ALL countries of the world. Philippines is no exception. There are good and bad in EVERY country. Also it need sto be said........ wealth and power can do strange things to otherwise good people. Edited by Bundy
  • Like 1

gapotwo
Posted
Posted

If only some white boys are predjudice, and most are not, and some filipinos are stupid , and others are not. then i am in deep sh&t because i am both, being that my mother is spanish filipina and my father is irish american. and me being born in the phil. as a us. citizen, i often felt like a foreiner in my birth country. that probably explains the mixed emotions. hatred and racism is all over the world.so why cant we all just be friends. :) tanks ej barton :541:

• Like 3

Art2ro
Posted
Posted (edited)

One isn’t born a racist! I believe racism is an acquired trait from how one was brought up and molded from one’s experiences in life constantly exposed from the traits of racist individuals in their family or public circles, weather they are poor or well to do individuals! It's pretty sad, let alone highly upsetting how some people can post stupid, offensive and uncaring threads openly on public forums!

Edited by Art2ro
  • Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

Racist is an interesting word. It is one of the words, in English, that has no antonym. If there were an antonym, I'd call it Racial-Overkill, then it is being forced on average white males in the west. For example, many employers in the west have a dis-proportionally large percentage of their work force consisting of non white personnel. In countries where the bulk of the working population are white males, that can foster racial resentment more than racial harmony. So I can understand some white males having racial prejudices. Indeed I have felt that way at different moments in my life. But I believe we have to be men and suck it up, not spout it onto Internet forums. As this is just me, spouting my personal opinions, I will say that I see a similar but opposite form of racism in the Philippines. Whereas the west has all races in positions of power, I see only filipinos in positions of power here.

• Like 1

Art2ro
Posted
Posted (edited)
Racist is an interesting word. It is one of the words, in English, that has no antonym. If there were an antonym, I'd call it Racial-Overkill, then it is being forced on average white males in the west. For example, many employers in the west have a dis-proportionally large percentage of their work force consisting of non white personnel. In countries where the bulk of the working population are white males, that can foster racial resentment more than racial harmony. So I can understand some white males having racial prejudices. Indeed I have felt that way at different moments in my life. But I believe we have to be men and suck it up, not spout it onto Internet forums. As this is just me, spouting my personal opinions, I will say that I see a similar but opposite form of racism in the Philippines. Whereas the west has all races in positions of power, I see only filipinos in positions of power here.
Dave,The saying goes, "When in Rome"! You're now in the Philippines! So, I feel at home with my own kind because we blend in with the color scheme and when we're in the U.S., we revert back to being a minority again because the foreground seems to be all white and different colors in between and in the background! So, if the shoe fits or when in Rome, we all try to be law abiding conformists and not misguided racially motivated misfits raised by their parents, grand parents, aunts and uncles or acquired the racist traits from society in general over the years into our adult lives and here it is now on public forums being vented and ranted from grumpy old expats who doesn't have a care in the world, but for themselves! What's in a word? (semantics) A word which has the opposite meaning to another, although not necessarily in all its senses. "rich" is an antonym of "poor"; "full" is an antonym of "empty". I don't really know if racist has an antonym or not! "Racists" as opposed to "Dick Head", does that come close enough for general purpose for kicks and giggles as being an antonym? Edited by Art2ro
  • Like 1

ekimswish
Posted
Posted

Racism is definitely something I've wrestled with in my lifetime, a lot of it reverse-racism, and then triple-reverse racism! Anyways, I think I've cleared the hurdles, even though it took some time, effort, and a lot of experiences. What I can say fairly confidently is that Asian countries are about as racist as they come, culturally speaking. As racist as white people can be, and we can definitely be quite racist, it's not an accepted way of seeing the world. You get chastised for it. I remember wondering why the hell the blacks didn't get out of NO ahead of Katrina, and the whole group I was drinking with turned on me and never called again. I was just making the point that if you have feet AND your governement's abandoned you, you can still walk - at least the younger ones. But I've heard far worse things said routinely in Asia about blacks, other Asians, or certain kinds of whities, and it's just routinely agreed on and accepted. To deny the point made by said-racist would just make you look stupid (in their eyes), so you smile, ignore it, and keep drinking. It's almost like racism isn't even racism in Asia, because it's just "reality." I remember when the Manny Pacquiao VS Floyd Mayweather rivalry first broke out, and the things posters were saying online was over-the-top ridiculous. Mayweather fans were attacking Manny's intelligence, ethics, and skills; but the Filipinos responding (could tell by their grammar) were just attacking Floyd as a dumb African monkey, in much less kind language. A few Filipinos did question this attitude along with some deeply offended blacks, who were just there for the boxing banter, and when I joined in the discussion telling about my dark-skinned Filipina wife who was teased as a kid, the othe Filipinos just started making jokes about her, too. I'm not taking this example and pinning it on a whole country. It was just a bunch of dumbass boxing fans. But the fact remains, in a country that's 70% brown, you only see (or barely see they're soooo bright) ultra-white models, actors, and personalities on TV or in magazines. This isn't just the Philippines. This is all over Asia. Are white people racist towards the Philippines? Hell yes, they are, and it makes me sick. But, besides that their are racists all over the world in every culture, Asia is one of the regions where it's just "common knowledge" that racism is cool. Oooookay, my rant is done. Speaking as a former and occasional part-time racist, I even hate white people! No wonder I've been in Asia full-time since 2004.