What Is Driving The Wish For Light Skin?

Steve & Myrlita
Posted
Posted
No apology needed, Mr. Jake. We all have life outside the web. Lol!You are rght. Beauty is only skin deep. Beauty fades, character remains.
Reminds me of a quote from TV Judge Judy. "Beauty fades, stupid lasts forever"!
  • Like 2

Art2ro
Posted
Posted

"Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder, butt ugly is down to the bones"! :th_Good-Luck:

• Like 3

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted (edited)
A current advertisement for over use of skin whiteners would have to be Kris. I have no idea how Filipinos see her but to me there are times when i think she just looks sickly!
Without seeming to be "DOM" have you seen the early photos of her(when her career started) ,to me her skin(color/tone) was just "perfect"Now that she is aged(older) IT does LOOK SICKLY.the same goes for a few of the Current and not current stars, When they 1st started "Acting" the skin tone/color,, just soooo "HOT"(let me get a tissue) after a few years acting & being told they need "whiter" skin ,Now.... NOT THAT HOT,(sickly) is best to describe. Edited by ed villas

• 3 weeks later...
daisy
Posted
Posted

I think it goes down to the fact that people tend to want something they don't have.... this applies to me too! I have a natural wavy and curly hair, I have to spend to have my hair re bonded... God up there must be going crazy for all of us! :-) !!!!

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
I think it goes down to the fact that people tend to want something they don't have
While I cannot deny the human desire to want what they think they cannot have, I have noticed a certain 'Gone With The Wind' type of class distinction here. If you have read the book, or seen the movie, you will have noticed that the upper class people at that time went out of their way to keep their skin white so as to distinguish themselves from people who had to work for a living out in the sun.Am I the only one who notices that girls think whiter skin means they are 'more high'?
  • Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Before someone complains that not all Filipino women are like this, I am speaking only of the women you see on the dating sites... You know the ones.... Only interested in a white guy? They all say how white skinned they themselves are... Now I wonder if any of them realize that if a guy wants to meet a woman from the Philippines, odds are they want to meet someone with that wonderfully beautiful tan glow?

• Like 2

Mike S
Posted
Posted
Am I the only one who notices that girls think whiter skin means they are 'more high'?
My asawa told me this years ago when I asked why do Filipinas want to be white ..... she said because those with dark skin were looked down upon as people that had to work out doors to make a living ..... where as those with white skin were considered more upper class ....... she laughed when I told her that white skinned ladies in the US wanted to have brown skin and so used tanning products and booths as well as laying in the sun ...... :hystery: :hystery: ....... by the way that is the only thing I have absolutely forbid my asawa to do and that is to use whiting agents on her skin ..... it is very unhealthy and besides she doesn't need it anyway .... she is already white ...... :hystery:
  • Like 2

Jim Sibbick
Posted
Posted (edited)

In my opinion, the main reason that Filipinos want to be white is 400 years of being lorded over by white people.First the Spanish until the Spanish American war, then the USA after the Philippines was ceded to the USA.Being white means being important and prosperous.

Edited by Jim Sibbick
  • Like 1

daisy
Posted
Posted

I have an officemate before who have a very fair complexion like that of a mestiza-chinese Filipino. I often heard her saying and complaining she is "black", so when happened to be near her, i just out of the blue told her " Oh so since you consider yourself black, so we look like charcoal to you" and everybody laugh at her! After that she never talk about it again!Sometimes this white skin thing mentality among other Filipinas is choking us also. :hystery:

• Like 2