Taxes On Importing Cultural/educational Books For Personal Use.

Lordblacknail
Posted
Posted

While you guys are thinking about ebook readers, remember that I have over 200K ebooks of all types. I recommend a Kindle without reservations, as long as it is a non touch model.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
sqylogin
Posted
Posted

It seems, at least to me, that everything that passes through Clark from the foreign couriers are charged tons of cash.

I did succeed in having Customs reverse it by referring to Department of Finance DO # 57-2011 dated 12/09/2011, which enumerates support for the UNESCO Florence Agreement. This agreement exempts educational books from taxes and duties. I also stated that it supercedes Customs Memorandum Order 25-2011 dated June 17, 2011, which requires you to get import certification for books.

Make sure you do NOT tell the courier to pay to have the items released -- it would be too late to complain once they paid the government.

• Like 1

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted

It seems, at least to me, that everything that passes through Clark from the foreign couriers are charged tons of cash.

I did succeed in having Customs reverse it by referring to Department of Finance DO # 57-2011 dated 12/09/2011, which enumerates support for the UNESCO Florence Agreement. This agreement exempts educational books from taxes and duties. I also stated that it supercedes Customs Memorandum Order 25-2011 dated June 17, 2011, which requires you to get import certification for books.

Make sure you do NOT tell the courier to pay to have the items released -- it would be too late to complain once they paid the government.

could you post the Memo order 25-2011 and the DOF 57-2011 so that we(the forum ) can copy it

or provide a LINK-URL so that we can use it in our "presentation" when picking up our packages.

thanks

sqylogin
Posted
Posted

CMO: http://www.tariffcommission.gov.ph/CMO%2025-2011.pdf

in which you are basically told to secure a certification from UNESCO Philippines for tax-free importation of books

DO 57-2011: http://www.gov.ph/2011/12/12/department-order-no-57-2011/

in which ALL imported books (with an exception) are affirmed to be tax and customs free.

• Like 2